Gabriel Mervine's Say Something the latest Octave Records release

I didn’t know that earlier when I purchased the sacd version, I do now though.
Thanks

Incredible!

I have dreamed of opening such a studio if I won the lottery. But you are actually doing it!

Wow

1 Like

Being able to give something back to your passionate hobby is a good feeling.

I just ordered mine (SACD) this morning, and I’m really looking forward to it.

I’m a little concerned, though, about the payment process. I chose to pay by credit card, and when I completed the transaction, and the “thank you” page came up (it took about 2 minutes for that page to load), it said I’d paid by PayPal. I sure hope that’s just a mistake and I don’t end up getting charged twice.

You may wish to contact support and inquire…also check you credit
card transactions…this should give you a quick accurate account of
what transpired with your credit card.

Best wishes friend

Wow! That is truly a noble gesture. Once word spreads Octave Records should be well known throughout the independent music scene. Thank you Paul and Terri!

2 Likes

Just sent my order in too. This is one order I’m really excited about!

I have to chime in on the steaming thing. It’s convenient for listeners, but musicians are taking it up the you know what financially on it. I will always buy my music be it CD or vinyl.

1 Like

I ordered the SACD. Looking forward to its arrival here in the UK. Customs and PO allowing.

That’s an incredibly generous approach! Kudos to the entire Octave team.

It’s also great that the booklet was included with the downloads, and this time the files were tagged (although the date was given as 2009 for some reason)! I didn’t notice composer info for the tracks in the booklet–did I miss it?

Hate to say it but I have “If I Had You” on right now and the right channel “Hash” is making it difficult to listen to. Tried in DSD and 24/192, same thing. Sorry to add to the baring of bad news. And as I write this “A Foggy Day” came on and same stuff in the right channel

2 Likes

For those who find the brushes to sound as unpleasant hash, how does it sound compared to other recordings with brushes?

As I mentioned earlier:

Notes refer to two mics on snare, the TdeP special and a S421. Perhaps a phase issue? Not something I know about. MP3 kills this music, but you can hear it on them from the web page samples.

I don’t hear it as a sound of the brushes but a hiss along with the sound. It does come in at 1:12 into But Not For Me and it sounds separate from, but along with, the brushes coming in.

1 Like

Hey Elk…I wonder if this" hash" with the brushes could have something to do
with the following:

When I purchase mp3 music from Amazon often I need to put that entire
album on repeat non stop play over night sometimes longer for the music
to be free of “hash”…help me out here with this because I am thinking that
perhaps the music file has to “unpack” as it were to sound it’s best.

So could this be a possibility here with the downloaded version?

I ordered the sacd so I wont really be able to know regarding the download
aspect…

But have also heard the same hash on my laptop and atmos Sammy tab…
playing the same tracks.

Elk clarify the "unpacking " bit for me…

Thanks Elk

Piano and bass are not congested on the final track, but are elsewhere. The general mix seems to be trumpet centre or slightly left, percussion right and piano and bass squeezed in middle right and pushed back.

I was listening to Page One last night, a quintet, the same 4 instruments plus sax, just a fantastic mix.

The Modern Jazz Quartet is not really a fair comparison as their arrangements almost sound like a classical quartet, extraordinarily disciplined that gives their sound great lucidity.

1 Like

Now this is interesting.

1 Like

I have not experienced a need to “unpack” a download as you describe, but an intriguing idea.

1 Like

Thanks Stevensegal…can’t wait for my copy to arrive…
Would you have any insight to my previous post?

Elk it seems I run into this quite often on mp3 downloads that are
just all out of whack and bad to listen to…yet repeat play overnight
sometime more makes for huge difference…and music comes into
it;s own…

If any one has has similar experience please chime in.

For those of you with the download version of Say Something with
hash or compression issues …please leave your album in repeat play
overnight or longer and then check again please…

Then please let us know what you have found …

It will be appreciated thanks