Globalnet and PowerPlay down for some time

Brodric, woops, I think I misunderstood you - my zone configuration is sticky, as it should be. What I meant was that say I have zones B and C turned off. If the unit loses power, it will come back up with all zones ON. That’s what I’d like to change if I can.

It shouldn’t behave like that. If it does that by design I think they need to rethink the design.

I agree, but I expect this is probably changeable in firmware.

I’ll copy @jamesh in on your observation, it should be put on the list of pending fixes. The restore point after a power interruption should be back to how it was operating immediately prior.

Thanks. I believe I did once have a conversation about it with someone, possibly Dennis, who said it is on the list. But yeah, it’s kind of a basic thing really!

It’s obviously not a high priority if DK was dealing with it and it’s still not done. They had those display issues dealt with in a fix, they might have rolled the restore point fix into it at the same time if they were serious about it.

I asked the question via the dealer channel, and the answer came back. PS Audio are planning on re-instating GlobalNet, but there is no time frame set for doing it.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Brodric I don’t know if it was being actively worked on or not, but whoever I spoke to at the time (my contact was usually DK but may have been someone else that time) did tell me that it was “on the list.”

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Well…one of these options will happen:

1. They might restore it to as it was before;
  2. They might change it so you run an app on local storage that captures the data; or
  3. They do nothing.
    Given the GlobalNet server has been down for 5 months, and they haven’t decided what to do about it, I reckon option 3 is most likely.
    If you were buying a new PowerPlant today, my suggestion is assume there will be no GlobalNet in the future. Then you won’t be disappointed. If however they end up deciding on 1 or 2 above then happy days.

There is a possible 4th option - that they re-code the browser interface on the unit to display stats. In theory, I would almost prefer that over having to rely on the continued existence of a server farm somewhere (which, as we have seen, can go belly up.)

As it is: Yeah, I would still buy a P20 even if I knew that powerplay wouldn’t be coming back. But everybody’s needs are different. My own main concern isn’t the statistics but being able to just verify that the unit is up and turn zones on and off from offsite, which I can do, albeit a little less conveniently, without the Powerplay servers.

PS tho, an iPhone/Android app would be great, as long as we’re discussing possibilities :slight_smile:

Somebody start a poll, try and gauge the extent of any continued interest in the feature.

After a few months the stats become a bit meh. For me, they didn’t vary so there wasn’t much reason to look at them.

I also toasted a couple fuses by powering off and on via the P10. Only in my BHK preamp and Jeremy was kind enough to send me a few spares but it was annoying.

I disconnected the Ethernet to the unit a couple months before it went out, I don’t miss it. Power can still be controlled locally (or via VPN if remote) if one needs. Just go the IP address of the unit in a browser. Works fine from a smart phone too but yes an app would be nicer.

I just purchased a P20 and have never used Globalnet so I don’t know what I’m missing. That said, I think an IOS/Android App would be great.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I’d be surprised if the I/O board hardware had the headroom for that…

Well, they’re already collecting the data and sending out the ethernet port. Which isn’t to say that you’re not right, but I don’t think it would take much.

For me Globalnet was pretty useful because my P12 and Amplifier sit in my basement directly under my music listening room with all power cables running through the floor and into the P12. So if I want to see what my P12 is doing it is a trip to the basement, away from the music.