Golf is for crazy people…

Heal up quickly, @tmcqueen!

I love to play golf, but it can be a very frustrating game. It’s hard to believe it can be as hard as it is to hit a stationary ball. It’s almost as if an adult baseball player were allowed to join in a game of tee-ball like all the little kids who aren’t old enough yet to hit a ball delivered by a pitcher. But golf really is a lot harder than it looks. Just check out Robin Williams’ routine on YouTube about the invention of golf. The profanity alone is worth the price of admission (which of course is free).

I drive a VW Golf, is that close enough?

3 Likes

Is the shift knob dimpled?

2 Likes

Well I don’t consider golf a sport, so…

I’d rather watch paint grow, or watch grass dry.

Why else would I go?

1 Like

Cheers.

Of course, they call it “golf” because all the other four-letter words were taken.

2 Likes

Fellow golfer here. I’m an addict, and have had some sub 80 rounds, but my normal is low 80s to low 90s, not very consistent! I play in a mens league at a relatively cheap golf course only 10 minutes away which is great fun. Life for me mostly revolves around my wife, our son who is in his 20s (and now is equally into golf which is great for me as he lives close), dogs, music and golf! And a bit of work, ugh…

4 Likes

Fortunately it is not! I can remain pure and untainted.

1 Like

The most liberating day of my life was when I gave my clubs away. Fast forward 20 years and the youngest and I will occasionally hit a bucket using pro shop loaner clubs. I still suck but I hit better with borrowed clubs than I ever did with my own.

I just replaced my set of irons and the driver. These are very nice and feel great to play. I improved my scores by absolutely nothing! No matter! I have the best clubs in the group. :grin: :golfing_man:

3 Likes

I am a king at miniature golf and a clown at regular golf. Friend took me to the driving range once to see if I could do anything. Well, needless to say whoever the groundskeeper was at that place I’m sure would not be happy with the turf after I got done with it. I never went back.

2 Likes

An actual true golf story - thirty odd years ago me & a buddy were hacking up a small tight par 3 pitch n putt course. He shanked his tee shot which skipped once on the grass and pegged one of two old gals who were sitting on hole #1 bench waiting to tee off. It hit her bare inner thigh as she was wearing a skirt. She yelped a bit an was profusely rubbing her leg. My buddy ran over and offered his heartfelt apologies. A moment later he and the two gals were all laughing heartily. As he returned with his ball I said something like - “That went well”. He said after he apologized, the other gal said to him: “If you’d have hit that ball a little harder - you might not have found it.”

I golfed (poorly - did manage to break the 100 some days) for about 30 years, I was struggling one time about eight years ago at a pretty posh course with a very good golfer guy with whom we got teamed up. Busy course, pressure’s on a bit, I’m getting frustrated and at one point in the conversation the golfer guys says: “Golf is a pointless game until you learn to consistently strike the ball.”
I haven’t swung a club since.

3 Likes

So what driver and irons did you get? I just got a couple of Titleist TSR2 hybrids, and so far I’m liking them.

2 Likes

While in Japan I bought a set of a Japanese brand “Honma” clubs. They are cheaper over there than here.

2 Likes

I’ve never hit any Honma clubs, but the irons look very nice.

2 Likes

They are super lightweight and easy to hit; basically for old guys like us😆

2 Likes

True story number 2:

Years ago my friend shanked a ball so hard that hit his golf buddy’s forehead. He was sent to an emergy room for a
brain scan. He was okay, but the scan also showed he had a small tumor in the brain. They caught it early enough and he lives to this date. So, golf saves life!

3 Likes

Strangely, there are 3 courses within 3 miles of me, one of them a local-council-owned one, if it is still open (they found evidence of Viking shiz there too, the “battle of Brun-something-or-other”).

The Hoylake course that was used for the Open a few years ago is just up the road too.

Never pplayed in my life.

But I was good at Crazy Golf in my younger days…

Edit - here we go :slight_smile:

1 Like