Good Movies

OK…gonna take a really big left turn here…
A tribute to Hitchcock’s version of their other well known film - Vertigo.

High_Anxiety_movie_poster

2 Likes

don’t forget The Producers :smiley:

and of course the finest “horror” movie ever made:

Young Frankenstein :slight_smile:
(prob also already mentioned above too)

2 Likes

That’s very cool. I’m a big fan of then-and-now movie locations. I had no idea that was filmed there.

I live in the within blocks of some of my favorite NYC film shoots:
The Taking of Pelham 123
The Godfather 2
Mean Streets
Serpico
Taxi Driver
…to name a very few.

The 1990’s TV series, “NYPD BLUE” was shot right around the corner.

1 Like

New to me. I’d like to check it out but it is not available to stream and Blu-ray DVD versions are rather pricey.

Young Frankenstein is a Gas…
We just watched it again last weekend.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. Mel Brooks is another director whose films I have on discs.
His sense of humor and joke timing are classic.

1 Like

Fun fact…there is a very brief sequence in which one can view the Trade towers being built.
This was in the early 70’s.

The original Taking of Pelham 123 is a strong recommendation as well. For that matter each of those you mentioned as neighborhood shoots are, And then there are the French Connection and Bullitt for chase scenes.

2 Likes

Yep…Is it Bullitt that has the great jazz music in the restaurant scene?
I always get that score mixed up with a Clint Eastwood film. Clint is also a big jazz aficionado.

The French Connection had Don Ellis’ haunting music. Another fantastic film score that is remarkably appropriate for its time.

Play Misty For Me may be the film you refer to.

2 Likes

Orson Wells…his early films were favorites of mine.
But,…as time marched on, he became quite a good caricature of himself.
My favorite is the Tim Burton film “Ed Wood”, in which Vincent D’onofrio portrays him in a brief scene.

2 Likes

Could be. That was another good jazz soundtrack. I’m terrible with remembering the names of pieces, but do recall that it had a flute, bass and drums playing a well known standard for that time. I own the track and can’t remember it.

A Song For Cathy

Based on your description this may be it, Lalo Schifrin’s A Song for Cathy.

1 Like

Ummmm, Does it looks like Anne Francis is being carried by a giant self-aware vibrator?

1 Like

I wouldn’t know about such things.

This is great and on Netflix right now:

2 Likes

2 Likes

And definitely not the only Eastwood Film with a jazz score. Top notch jazz is interspersed throughout all the Dirty Harry installments. I will say Play Misty for Me was the first Eastwood film that got me clued into the fact he’s a serious Jazzophile. The plot of the film and the accompanying score was no coincidence or product of happenstance.

1 Like

Play Misty For Me - Monterey Jazz Festival

That and the inclusion of the Monterey Jazz Festival sequence with Cannonball Adderley’s band (among others) of the day… A very 1970 feel to it and the documentary style, almost 16mm, very cool.

2 Likes

“The Dig” is very good, but I thought the second half suffered a bit from the unnecessary distraction of the personal problems of the married couple on the team. That story line brought nothing to the film, IMO. I agree wholeheartedly re Fiennes’ performance. It was remarkable.