Good Movies

Seeing Max von Sydow in The Seventh Seal a few posts back brought to mind this performance:

This was the only time in my own personal experience that I thought a movie was substantially better than the book on which it was based.

Re: Bullitt, I agree it’s exciting (especially the car chase), but I always had trouble following the story. Many years later, Robert Vaughan was talking about the film and he said the story line had so many logical gaps that it made no sense at all. That made me feel a little better. :wink: BTW, the very first time I saw it was at a drive-in theater. The portions of the chase that were shot through the windshields of the Mustang and Charger were especially exciting seen that way. I could swear it was our own Camaro that was bouncing all over San Francisco.

5 Likes

His best film?

I actually have the Criterion Apu Trilogy.

1 Like

Another from the silent film era worth mentioning.

1 Like

1 Like

Along with the fine Richard Einhorn score for the movie.

I’m listening to a compilation of the score of Altered States as I type. I am stunned to have just learned it was written by John Corigliano. That film was a psychedelic roller coaster ride I’ve seen many times. I have a fresh appreciation for the score, which was and still is audacious.

4 Likes

Good catch, and yes I totally agree a fine film and film score.

1 Like

It is Criterion worthy! It was streaming on Criterion Channel not too long ago. Alas I think it has left the channel though.

From the Criterion Collection, Tarkovsky’s Solaris. Viewing at the moment.

4 Likes

Dune is opening here in Chitown tomorrow. Already have my ticket. Hope it lives up to the hype. Been looking forward to it all year.

1 Like

Have you read Lem’s novel? The film adaptation was for many in the West the first exposure to Lem’s work because it was suppressed. I still greatly prefer the novel to both film adaptations.

there was a nice bbc radio 4 dramatisation a couple of years back, probably floating the net or on iPlayer :slight_smile:

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie when it was released. Yea, some of it is over the top, but if you can suspend your disbelief, it can really suck you in.

I thought the actors all had good chemistry together. I think this might have been William Hurt’s first movie. I thought he was excellent as the scientist who pursued his obsession, no matter the cost. Some of the dialog exchanges struck me as realistic of how scientists interact, especially towards the beginning of the movie.

1 Like

I have not, only familiar with Tarkovsky’s interpretation.

3 Likes
2 Likes

A bit of a New Yorker magazine parody Wes Anderson style, obsessions and all. Catch it on the big screen. A wonderful take on Modern Art as well.

3 Likes