Good Movies

Same here…
On Saturday’s, parents would drop the kids off at the theater around noon time and pick them up hours later. All for fifty cents! Cartoons galore, and a double feature.
My last truly interesting movie going experiences were “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” here in NYC and the first run of “Star Wars”. Unforgettable.

I remember my parents and their friends getting all dressed up to attend “Funny Girl”, “Doctor Zhivago” and “Lawrence of Arabia”.

Fun times for sure.

1 Like

I have not seen the film, but read the book in high school and enjoyed it. Well worth reading.

A worthy read, and Steinbeck’s take on the film was it was true to the source. Considering the times it was a difficult subject to make and release in film form.

Harlan Ellison’s a Boy and his Dog is also a worthy read for fans of Sci-fi.

1 Like

Steinbeck’s novels are a uniquely American view of life during those times. I’ve read many of them and always felt his characters to be down to earth…the common man, so to speak.

This was a popular kid’s matinee movie in the day. However, not a great film.

I’ll never forget the famous line as the Prussian flier is reading aloud the instruction booklet for his bi-plane:

“Number one, sit-down!”

3 Likes

as was>>>>

2 Likes

2 Likes

When Tim Burton came out with this film, I was immediately thrown back to sitting in class during the first grade and trading these cards. They were really quite horrible thinking back on it.

3 Likes

I enjoy the deliberate pacing of Bergman’s films. A real genius at the “less is more” aspect of directing.

1 Like

Then you surely would appreciate Persona. A rather difficult film.

1 Like

One I’ve never seen. Thanks for the recommendation.

Having read Ken Keseys’ book in a high school modern literature class and then following up with the film. A masterpiece in my mind.

Milos Forman brings Randall P. McMurphy and nurse Ratched to life.

One Flew East, One Flew West, One Flew over…

3 Likes

Ditto on the movie and the book.
Saw that the same year of “All The President’s Men”

Another Forman film that I enjoying listening to as well as watching.

3 Likes

Let’s not forget the German directors…
Herzog and Kinski…a match made in heaven…

to name a few…

2 Likes

Steinbeck’s characters are remarkably complete and rich.

Klaus Kinski’s personality "“traits” played to good effect by director Herzog.

Magnificent colour from the Archers.

1 Like

And now to number ten, a pitch to the crowd:

A friend should always underestimate your virtues and an enemy overestimate your faults .

5 Likes

and then there’s Slim Whitman…

Indian Love Call

1 Like

A bonus, beyond the initial ten, featuring stellar animation:

3 Likes