Has anyone used Telefunken 6922's in their BHK pre?

Since I asked this question, I thought I’d answer it. I bought a pair from my friend for $200/pair plus a bottle of Basil Hayden. They originally came from Upscale and my friend disliked them. They’ve been in my preamp for about 20 hours now.
In my system, they’re sublime. Full, rich, detailed, an improvement across the range over my former favorite Amperex 7308’s.
Would I buy them at the current retail? No. Maybe. No. Maybe. But they sure are my favorite tube in my BHK pre so far.

3 Likes

Below is my previous post of September 2018 on this topic in a thread entitled “BHK Preamp tube rolling” in “Amplifiers” section under “Audio Components” in this PS Audio Forum

Currently I am still running these Telefunken 6922/E88CC tubes in both BHK Preamp and BHK 250 power amp …
systemchanges since Sept 2018 include Iconoclast SPTPC speaker cables, Iconoclast UPOCC Gen 2 4x4 XLRs, Pangea Audio AC 9SE MKII Signature power cord into Furutech Flux-50 NCF Inline power Filter into P10 regenerator.
Also SR Blue fuses in mains and rails of BHK 250 power amp

roger-macklin

Jack65

Sep '18

PS Audio equipment chain all powered by P-10 regenerator.

DMP à DS Sr. à BHK Preamp à BHK 250 power amp à Polk Audio SDA SRS-2 speakers

PS Audio I2S, Grover Huffman XLR ICs, Grover Huffman speaker cables.

SR Blue fuses installed in DMP and BHK Preamp.

I initially upgraded from stock tubes to the BHK-recommended Tungsram 7DJ8 tubes (“platinum grade” and “cryoed” from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio) in both BHK 250 and BHK preamp. Those have stayed in place for a year or more — so they are my “baseline.”

I have now auditioned Amperex 7308, Telefunken PC88 / 7DJ8, and lastly Telefunken E88CC / 6922 tubes (all “platinum grade” and “cryoed” from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio) in the BHK preamp ( with the Tungsram 7DJ8 remaining in the BHK 250 amp for all these auditions ). Each set of new to me NOS preamp tubes was given ~ 80-100 hours prior to critical listening sessions, which included PS Audio “One” SACD, “The Quality of Silence” SACD by Steve Davis Project, Roxy Music “Avalon” SACD, Jimi Hendrix “Blues” CD, “Gob Iron” CD, Joni Mitchell “Hits” CD, etc.

All statements are “to my ears with my system.”

Amperex 7308 creates a very noticeable shift in energy balance – less energy in higher frequencies, but added some detail and “texture” to mids and bass compared to the Tungsram 7DJ8. Interesting sonics some may hear as an improvement. Probably blacker background/less noise than the Tungsram. Is this the source of the extra “texture” or is it more energy in the lower frequencies? Or both?

Telefunken PC88 / 7DJ8 (Upscale indicated these tubes as actually manufactured by Siemens) - gave a definitely more “vivid” presentation than the Amperex 7308, but with energy distribution perhaps more similar to Tungsram 7DJ8 than to the Amperex 7308.

Telefunken E88CC / 6922 — “Transformational.” “Another level.” I would even tell BHK himself I suspect he hasn’t heard his own creation to its full potential if he hasn’t heard the BHK Preamp with these tubes or similar installed. Dead quiet background – to my ears a “neutral” presentation , with greater detail at all frequencies but still very musical presentation like the Tungsrams. Increased soundstage in all dimensions (height, width, depth).

The Telefunken E88CC / 6922 are staying in the BHK preamp.

I am wondering what these tubes (Telefunken E88CC / 6922 ) will bring to the BHK 250 amp next down the chain. Is it possible that would create too much detail and thereby seem less “musical?” That remains to be heard.

I have ordered another set of Telefunken E88CC / 6922 to try in the BHK 250, or for backup.

1 Reply

1 Like

I agree about the soundstage. The effects are amazing.

I was telling a mate about how amazing the tele 6dj8 and 7dj8s are and gave him a loan of some of the seimens examples as well as pair of the ones made by Telefunken themselves. He has a really nice headphone rig and he said that he didn’t like either pair in his setup. So there is definitely some synergy happening with these tubes and the bhk gear. I wonder if @BHK tried any variation of the teles 6v or 7v in his experiments.

I have Telefunken 6DJ8 in my BHK pre. I’ve tried Amperex, Siemens, Mullards and as you ,settled on the Telefunken tubes.

1 Like

The thing that these tubes really nail is that fine line between detail and musicality. Then on top of that there’s imaging and the subterranean bass that I’m getting out of my rig with the teles in place…

1 Like

The amount of tubes I’ve bought is a bit scary. There have been other tubes that have had qualities that I’ve loved but none have combined so many positives together.

1 Like

Synergy is a huge element of what we find pleasing or not. Prior to using a Stellar P3 regenerator with my preamp and other front end equipment, I couldn’t stand any Amperex or Siemens 6 volt tubes in my BHK preamp or BHK250 amp. They sounded too bright and harsh. The Stellar P3 adds so much “meat on the bones” of musical textures I can use (and now love) previously avoided tubes like the Amperex 6922’s and 6dj8’s, Siemens 6dj8’s, and RCA 12AU7 clear tops.

You’d really want a very solid bass in your setup to be able to run the RCA clear tops!

Very true! I use two REL S3/SHO subs to augment my Tidal Piano Cera’s, so bass is pretty solid. In my setup, Sylvania JHS-5963’s are even brighter than the clear top 12AU7’s, a bit too much for my tastes.

Just put the telefunken **E88CC / 6922 tubes in and they are fantastic!

1 Like

Mine have been in for several thousand hours and sound wonderful.