Have installed my dsd kit

Received my kit after 1h 40m I was up and listening, straight from cold it sounded good after 3 hours listening it was much better the vocals were much clearer and more forward, the depth was very much improved compared to the dac2. The finer details are very clear I could hear instruments and place them in order where they would be behind, left , right , high or low of the main front singer/s I was hearing sounds I had never heard before on the dac2 and there were a couple of cd’s I had to double check that I was playing what I had placed in the PWT the sound was so different I thought I had put in the wrong cd.

On the third day ( still only 12 hours play time ) I installed the new firmware update, what a difference this made like Night & Day the bass is much more lower and sharper the mid range has just bloomed out it feels like there is someone there standing in my room singing. I don’t make comments on forums on how good or bad something is but this time I have to , it’s the best dac I have ever had and I have gone through quite a few dac’s is there a better dac out there yes I would think so but you would be paying 5 times the price or more. Thinking of upgrading put the DSD on top of your list or you may end up regretting your choices.

The install took me a little longer than it should have done the one board did not line up not with the threaded studs but the case its self where the xlr, rca, usb was out by 1mm, after carefully pushing one way then pushing another slowly putting one screw in and pulling the board all went in.

The next small problem was the power cable from the board to the lcd screen would not go in because one side of the clip was over lapping the multi pin plug next to it, sorted this by cutting off one of the clips of the plug still has one clip holding in and I gave it a good pull and lifted up the dac by this cable so all is safe and tight not likely to come off.

Then I was short on the screws to secure the xlr to the case and had to many of other screws but I was prepared for that as I have been following the forums on others who had similar teething issues so I had plenty of screws on had.

I am only mentioning this because I am one of the first of few early dsd up grades here in Australia not to be put of by this it is only minor if you take your time think what to do before you force it all will be fine, if not sure get your local dealer to do it at the end of the day you will have the best sounding dac you will have ever bought. As I finish writing this post I have only 14 hours use and my system sounds great and it’s only going to get better with more time.

Are there any plans for a new transport.

Welcome, Shihan171!

Great report and its fun to learn of someone who did the kit install and upgraded firmware so quickly, and provided impressions.

What would you like improved/changed on the PWT?

@shihan171

Indeed! Great report. We’re not sure what we’re doing with the transport, for now they still just sell well and we keep plugging along but we recognize we’ll have to address the changes in technology and customer needs someday. I know that’s not much of an answer, but it’s all I have right now! Enjoy the DirectStream and thanks for posting.

Thank you for replying on PWT, your thoughts are like mine technology has moved very quickly since the PWT was released and I have had this since it was first available here in Australia and it does the job of what it was designed for very well but now we have a new DAC which is more advanced in technology in decoding what’s in the CD , is the lazer and draw that it’s housed up to the task to retrieve that data and pass it on to the new DSD DAC to fully exploit this next generation of DAC.

25hours in to the new DAC and John Lee Hooker never sounded as good as he does now, the DAC is living up all what said about it.

The only improvement to the PWT I would like at the moment is a quieter drive. I understand the limitations of available drives however.

Perhaps in the alternative, sufficient on-board memory to hold the entire contents of a Redbook CD, or even of a DVD. The drive could then load the entire contents into memory. While this would not improve performance, it would solve the noisy drive issue.

My biggest problem with the PWT is playing DVDs.
You can not fast forward or reverse scan within a track.
So, if you want to hear the last minute of the first movement of the Mahler 3rd, you have to wait about 32 minutes.
And it is not just Hi Res files, the same happens with 44.1/16 burned to a DVD.

Hopefully a newer version of the PWT will correct this.

Perhaps this can be accomplished with a firmware update.

Paul McGowan said @shihan171

Indeed! Great report. We’re not sure what we’re doing with the transport, for now they still just sell well and we keep plugging along but we recognize we’ll have to address the changes in technology and customer needs someday. I know that’s not much of an answer, but it’s all I have right now! Enjoy the DirectStream and thanks for posting.

@adminpaul Paul, I think the PWT can evolve into a music server with SSD storage, auto rip of CD's and some other goodies, just an idea for you... 4_gif