HDMI (i2s) Cable Recommendation

I think it was Joseph Campbell who said: DO NOT MESS WITH BLISS

2 Likes

I have a 2 meter AC 12. Itā€™s kind of long for my layout. If I ever find a 1 meter Iā€™ll sell it to you. They come up once or twice a year on Canuck and US Audio Mart. You need to move fast on them. They sell very quickly.

1 Like

Iā€™m having good results with a QED Reference hdmi cake between my i2s streamer and my direct stream junior. It is touted as being a very low jitter cable.

Has anyone tried a fiber or glass optical HDMI between the DMP and DSD?

I would think the process of changing from electrical to optical and back would induce jitter that the advantage of galvanic isolation would not result in any audible gains.

Maybe. Iā€™m not so sure. Iā€™ve come to really respect the optical connection, and the DMP doesnā€™t have a Toslink output. Iā€™ve ordered a cheap optical HDMI cable to try out. If it is promising Iā€™ll order a more expensive glass one as I find glass Toslink to sound best.

Iā€™ve tried it and it doesnā€™t work. Donā€™t forget that although youā€™re useing an hdmi cable, youā€™re not using an hdmi interface, itā€™s an i2s interface.

2 Likes

Okay, I donā€™t see why it wonā€™t work, but if it doesnā€™t itā€™s not a big loss.

No harm in trying though, might just be my implementation

1 Like

The reason we didnā€™t include optical is because TOSLINK canā€™t be depended on to pass higher resolution audio than 96kHz and DMP does 192kHz. So, this wouldnā€™t have made any sense and would have gotten peopleā€™s expectations high.

2 Likes

I guess I can understand that but as someone who listens to Redbook 97 percent of the time itā€™s not really an issue.

Paul, do you have an idea if a Toslink HDMI cable would not work for at least Redbook signal transfer?

Hi Lon,
The use of an optical HDMI cable with the DSD was discussed in another thread here: Matrix X-SPDIF 2

I know others have attempted use of this type of cable without success. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks Jeff. The explanation in that thread makes sense. Iā€™m in need of another HDMI cable for another system anyway (not I2S intended) so itā€™s not a waste.

Please give it a go though and report back

Sure, will do.

Has anyone tried the Wireworld Silver Starlight hdmi cable? I have a friend who canā€™t stop babbling about how good his sounds.

Iā€™ve have been using the Platinum Starlight 7 HDMI for a long time and have had zero intention of changing to another. Never listened to the Silver Starlight,but Iā€™m sure it sounds wonderful too.

1 Like

Yes I have (via the Matrix). Itā€™s a great cable. Didnā€™t think an HDMI cable could make this level of improvement. Bested my Toslink cables also.

Have had the DMP for a few days now to complement my DSjr. Been experimenting with 5-6 different hdmi cables and so far, believe it or not, a short entry level (circa US$ 35) The Chord Company one seems to be ā€˜winningā€™. Sounded somewhat more appealing then the.Furutech, DH Labs, Audioquest and el cheapo ones Iā€™ve been playing with. Go figure.

I have one as well between my PWT and my DSjr. It does not offend.