Heat Generation Consideration

I am considering the purchase of a power plant but am not sure which one. My system consists of the following components:

Dedicated music server MBPro running JRiver 21

DS DAC

Cary SLP-05 preamp

Pass XA-30.5 amp

Harbeth SHL5+ speakers

Located in western PA, I am most concerned about the amount of heat generated during the AC months only. My dedicated 12 x 14 music room can become quite uncomfortable during those warm, muggy summer evenings after about 3 hours of system operation. So my question: would there be a significant difference in the heat output between the P3, P5, and P10 when powering my components? Quality of the power supplied is important, of course, but heat generation considerations take priority in my situation.

Thanks for any and all replies!

John

Not really. The P5 might seem hotter because of its smaller size but in reality all Power Plants are 85% efficient so for the same amount of power you’re only producing 15% of heat regardless of which model you choose.

The P10 for most systems runs as cool as a cucumber, but that’s because of its large heat sink area for cooling.

Thanks Paul.

Could my MBPro be placed directly on top of a P10 or is there a minimum spacing needed between the two to preclude possible EMI/RFI problems? Maybe a sheet of EMI/RFI shielding would be needed?

I would think so. The BHK doesn’t radiate much since there’s really no high frequency components and it is relatively impervious to extraneous radiation.

Pardon me, but you have me a bit confused. Is BHK an acronym for the P10 power plant or did you misconstrue my question?

I was asking if I could place my MacBook Pro music server directly on top of a P10 power plant (either with or without EMI/RFI shield sheets). I am concerned that there may be some type of interference if I do that from the computer to the P10 or visa versa.

Hope this isn’t a stupid question. I do appreciate all your responses.

Oops. I did misconstrue your question but my answer would be unchanged. The P10 is not sensitive to EMI as well it doesn’t produce much.

Sorry about that. Thanks for the catch.

Thanks Paul for the definitive reply.

@Paul

Paul, does the wattage reading on the P10 include the ~15% overhead of the unit itself or not? I suspect not but haven’t gone to the trouble of powering down everything connected to measure it myself.

Thanks,

Brett

It does not. That’s only what you’re delivering.

1 Like