Heat Pump affects power regenerators

I bought a P15 in the beginning of August and in the same time I also bought an “Air Heat Pump” (don’t know the english word for them, a Panasonic HZ25 anyway) and I’ve long thought that it was something wrong with my P15 because it has always given away an irritating “Bruuuum”.
Sometimes more and sometimes less and today I figured out why my P15 is so noisy.
It depends on my “Air Heat Pump”.

I unpluged everything from my P15 earlier today but it still gave away its “Bruuum” and then I started to run around and turn off things in my house and when I turned off my Panasonic HZ25 my P15 also became silent.

So the P15, and most likely all regenerators, are very sensitive on what’s happening with the AC around them so if you get the same problem as I did with a “Noisy Regenerator” start to search after things that could probably affect them in one way or another.

This isn’t really news. It’s always better to have dedicated lines to your audio equipment. Ideally on the other phase/side of your panel from the A/C supply.

They are on totally different lines.
My stereo and ONLY my stereo is connected in one place and my “Air Heat Pump” on a different line so it’s more “news” than you make it to bee.

You seem to be prone to drama. Last week you were telling everyone to unplug their Sub-woofers from the power regenerator and now you have discovered that your Heat Pump’s affecting your regenerator. I’m pointing out that the common point is the breaker panel. Even if they are on separate lines they may share a phase of your panel maybe not. A/C units and Heat pumps have large compressors and motors. They are potentially a source for many problems. One is power “sag” where the heat pumps current draw strains the available power. The second is line noise that’s generated by the devices. There are ways to address this and to minimize the effects. The regenerator is trying to do it’s job but the demands are exceeding it’s ability and that’s what you’re hearing.

1 Like

What is the input THD shown on the P15 with, and without, the Heat Pump? Also, what is the output THD with and without?
I have a P12 and don’t have any noise or other issues. However, the input THD is generally around 5.5% and the output THD is usually .1%. I’m wondering if the Heat Pump is a non linear load and creating significant 60 hz distortion.

It’s in the middle of the night here now so the power grid takes it easy with me for the moment so my THD In jumps between 0.4 and 0.5% with my heat pump on and with it turned off it’s a steady 0.4%
I always have a THD Out of 0.1%

In the middle of the day I get perhaps 1.5% THD In but I’ve never seen a THD of 2% or higher.

That’s very reasonable THD. I have lots of pumps, motors and compressors on my property, but they don’t affect my P12.
This noise you are hearing - is it coming from the P15 chassis or internals? Have you tried to reduce the noise (other than turning off the Heat Pump?) Can you feel any vibration on the chassis? Do you have the P15 siting on the factory feet? Have you tried any isolation devices? What type of rack or shelving is the P15 siting on?
I suggest contacting PS Audio service once you have gathered as much information as you can.

What is the incoming voltage with and without the heat pump?

Mardyr, no, I also became very surprised that my P15 is so sensitive about what’s happening around it in the AC grid to my house. I mean my P15 and my “Air Heat Pump” isn’t even on the same phase.
My noise comes from my P15’s internal.
I’ve tried everything I can think of with my P15 to get it “quiet” and I can’t feel any vibrations.
I’ve put my P15 on soft feets from Sonic Design and those feets are “isolation devices”.
My P15 stands on: SD-feets http://sonicdesign.se/sdfeet.html a 15 mm thick woodenboard, SD-feets again and then on four glassjars filled with 1.3 kilo sand in each to the floor.
I’ve already contacted them & Thanks for your advice/suggestions.

Elk, I have the same volt with or without my “Air Heat Pump” turned on.

I just had an electrician here and I asked him what I could do to “isolate” my “Air Heat Pump” so that it don’t affect the electricality for everything else in my house and he had no idea what I should do.

Have you checked the grounding to your main panel. Is it to a ground rod , well pipe, other? Are they properly tighten with no oxidation. Are there more than one ground of these types at your house. I am leading up to potential? Maybe extra grounding to your heat pumps (I don’t know what this would accomplish). I have no idea how this might effect your P15; but simple checks. I hope things get corrected for you.
Chas

Hello 1cdfoley and thanks for your answer, that I don’t understand so good.
What I have looks like this. The thing on top is the “Outside-thing” and the thing on the bottom, that I turn off to get away from all disturbances, is in the bottom:

My suggestion of checking the grounding of the house’s main panel was a wild guess; but, I thought of it because it was a zero cost effort. I was not referring to the wiring in the heat pump.

Did your electrician check out the wiring between the two units?

Chas

The wiring between my heat pump/AC and my P15? Nope.

That type of system is know in the USA as a Ductless Split (it does not use air ducts.) It is similar to the systems Paul had installed in the new listening rooms at PS Audio’s HQ. I have one also.

They are very efficient but also very noisy (fan.) The compressor (outside unit) is relatively quiet because it is small compared to a 4 or 5 ton whole house AC or heat pump compressor.

As far as your noise issue, if your AC unit running causes an internal hum or buzz from your P15, that is some weird mojo going on.

1 Like

Sorry, I was not clear, I meant the two units of the heat pump. Is there an inside unit and an outside unit?

Yepp, One in the cold and one comfortable in the warmness.