Running Two Separate PowerPlant Units

Hi, my first post and I was wondering if anyone runs two separate PP units, say a P15 for amplifiers and a P3 for DACs and Streamers?

More curious if there would be any degradation or ground loop issues in this approach?

Is there a better alternative, sans going with a P20?

Thank you in advance!

Welcome!

A good number of people run multiple Power Plants with no problems.

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you for that confirmation. Was a bit worried I would run into random issues with separate power and combined analog cables.

Welcome to the forum.

I am sure some multi-regenerator devotees will chime in soon.

1 Like

Hi Krazi-K and welcome.

I use three older-generation P10s, one each for my monoblock power amps and the third provides power for two (class D) powered subs, DAC and DDC. I’ve never had any ground loop issues with this configuration.

I’m guessing that, if you don’t have a ground loop issue with plugging straight into the wall then you shouldn’t have any issue distributing the power across multiple PPs. In other words, if your house wiring is properly grounded then you shouldn’t have issues. (I’m pretty sure that PPs connect to ground in the standard way.)

1 Like

I use a P10 for my amplifier (between speakers) and video gear (TV, cable DVR, Apple TV). All my other gear is off to the side so I have a P3 for that. Each regenerator is on a dedicated circuit. No groundloop issues!

3 Likes

For a while I used a P5 and a P12 with excellent results.
Then I traded up to one P20 with far excellenter results.

5 Likes

So happy to see the P10 you bought from me, and picked up at my house so many years ago now, is still working well! Merry Christmas Pete!

4 Likes

I have had 3 regens running in the same system with no issues at all.
One P20 for left power amp
One P20 for right power amp
One P12 for the source stack
All three on separate dedicated home run 20 amp circuits.

5 Likes

Wow! I’m assuming that on your “cake day”, @paul sends you a real cake…

5 Likes

And your P20’s made great amp stands!

2 Likes

I’m with Ron. Combining the two regenerators are fine but one P20 is better.

2 Likes

Unless you have 2 P20’s!

1 Like

Thank you all for the confirmation and encouragement to continue with this approach, my initial goal was to only use the P15 until I ran out of outlets!!

Then a friend was selling his P3 for a great price, so my thinking was go for it since it gives me 6 more outlets, and the wattage is capable to support the DAC, streamer, etc, for those items.

Sure a P20 would be great, and I may still not have enough outlets if I move from P15 to P20 only. Eventually I will get there as the wattage supported by the P15 is plentiful.

I must have misread, or misunderstood somewhere that indicated the benefits would be minimized if all the gear was not connected to the same PowerPlant, hence my apprehension. Clearly I can proceed without concern.

Thank you all again!

2 Likes

Ouch, my hernia!

1 Like

That’s part of the reason they are going down the road.
I have them packaged up from the downsizing move and in safe heated storage.
I really dont want to have to move them again except with a forklift going into the truck that picks them up.

2 Likes

Same setup here and also two additional lines for bass amps (directly into the wall). All are 30 amp lines fed from a dedicated subpanel. No ground loop issues.

2 Likes

And I run everything through my P20 except my amp. Almost 300 watts.

1 Like

My other setup had the amps on either side of the fireplace so it was better to have two P20’s than block the view. The Pass amps are 600 watts each so technically one P20 would do the job.
I have them plugged into the wall now and can’t tell any difference so the P20’s are going down the road. That will still leave me with one here just in case. :thinking:

3 Likes

I think @straightwire is a good candidate for twin P20’s. The BHK 600’s are taxing that single P20. :+1:t2:

2 Likes