Help! Just got Sprout and don't know how to hook up a turntable

So just got the Sprout and can’t figure out how to hook up my turntable. I know that sounds ridiculous but it will make sense as I describe my issue. :slight_smile:

My current turntable is a cheap ION with a USB connection and the traditional analog connection (white and red plugs). I hooked up the cords and it sounded horrible. I read in the manual that you have to use an “old school” turntable without a preamp. I thought maybe I could try the USB connection but my turntable has a square “type B” plug and so does the Sprout. They don’t make type B to type B USB cables (or not that I could find anyway) so wondering what my options are.

I’ll eventually get a higher end turntable but my wife would strangle me if I got one now after just spending money on the Sprout. Is there a good “basic” turntable on the cheap without all of the bells and whistles that I can get to use with the Sprout? Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the forum!

If your turntable has a built-in phono preamp, you can plug it into the Sprout’s analog input. You just need a stereo mini jack to RCA adaptor, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cmple-3-5mm-Female-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B003Z9P45E/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1463012547&sr=1-11&keywords=stereo+mini+jack+to+rca

or http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-3-5mm-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B0002KR5Q0/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1463012547&sr=1-6&keywords=stereo+mini+jack+to+rca

There are better adaptors from Audioquest and others but this should give you an idea of what they look like.

Awesome!!! That is great! I gotta be honest, I was panicking a bit because I thought "oh crap, I bought this and now I gotta figure out if I’m going to have to buy all new components. :slight_smile:

I really appreciate your help man. That was quick too! Great forum! I haven’t got a ton of time with the Sprout yet but really convenient piece of gear!

Happy to help. Stick around the forum and let us know how things progress.