my cd player, mark levinson 5100, has 7 PCM filters:

fast minimum phase
slow minimum phase
apodiz fast
hybrid fast minimum phase
brickwall
fast linear
slow linear

I’m unfamilair with the concept of PCM filters. Would any of these settings take the edge off of my issue of brightness?

Slow linear would be my recommendation.

May I ask why? I really don’t know and would like some background knowledge

Someone else with super deep knowledge can come in and add on top of my response.

(1) There is a gentle roll off in the high frequencies… somewhere around 19-22khz will be down a touch… like 0.5db to 2db would be reasonable to expect so very subtle

(2) Reduced ringing of the slow filter which can provide a more relaxed sound

(3) Slight aliasing - high frequency noise from the up sampling in DAC will bleed into audio band.

Roon knowledge base has some info that I found useful:

Please scroll down to compare linear with minimum phase. Personally, I prefer minimum phase as it sounds more natural in my system.

Ok… so this is what I’ve found thus far. I’ve gone back and forth on just two filters and can reproduce the same conclusions.

HYBRID FAST MINIMUM PHASE
I’ve found this filter to be very resolving especially on vocals. Allows any sibilance to be more prominent. However, after about an hour of listening, I start interpreting the filter as harsh/bright sounding, almost grating. Reducing the volume helps but removes the bass of the music I’m listening to

FAST LINEAR
This filters seems to calm the upper end down some, but at the same time feel like i’m losing some of the resolution in the vocals.

Does any of these comments make any sense to anyone out here?

Which one would you suggest to try next?

thanks in advance…

I would try fast min, slow min, and slow linear. One of these should hit the sweet spot.

Also, turn off analytical brain and see which one gets you to keep listening and gets you moving.

If the bass is a little lean but you love the flow of the music it’s a worthy trade off.

UPDATE… so this is what I’ve found thus far. I’ve gone back and forth on now 3 filters and can reproduce the same conclusions.

HYBRID FAST MINIMUM PHASE
I’ve found this filter to be very resolving especially on vocals. Allows any sibilance to be more prominent. However, after about an hour of listening, I start interpreting the filter as harsh/bright sounding, almost grating. Reducing the volume helps but removes the bass of the music I’m listening to

FAST LINEAR
This filters seems to calm the upper end down some, but at the same time feel like i’m losing some of the resolution in the vocals.

APODIZ FAST
I thought this filter calmed the ‘sizzle’ down from the HYBRID FAST MINIMUM PHASE filter. Seemed to allow the system to be played at moderate and louder volumes eliminating any listener fatique. Thought this is a filter to consider. Had my wife listen to this filter on several recordings, A/B comparing it to the HFMP filter. She felt it made the sound more 2 dimensional, ‘deep’ sounding, un involving.

Does any of this make any sense?

Which one would you suggest to try next?

thanks in advance…

Ok, go Linear Slow

I agree min phase filters remove bass… not good in my opinion.

Just FYI there are better DACs that sound way way better cause they use better filters.

@Elk:

FYI, there is a good discussion going on here about PCM Filters.

I am afraid those that may be interested are unlikely to pick up on it buried in this “Audioquest Water XLR Interconnects” thread.

If @onehorsepony and @cxp don’t mind, perhaps you could be troubled to move these posts and start a new thread?

Just a suggestion…

1 Like

Can’t seem to move this thread, tried putting this conversation in the DAC forum, but it got deleted.

It’s been moved (by @Elk) I believe you are now in a dedicated thread discussing PCM filters.

Cheers.

This is your thread.

Notice the title: Help me understand and select a PCM filter - Mark Levinson 5100

Notice the first post was made by you.

And note it is in the DAC subforum.

You are all set!

Thanks, hope to get more input in the proper area now.