Here's an even bigger organ!

You liked the first video this one is even bigger it seems

8 Likes

Breathtaking!

1 Like

Really is scotte1

I grew up in that neck of the woods (NW Indiana, actually) and have driven by that church in that part of town on more than one occasion. There is a great Cheesecake Factory restaurant across the street in the John Hancock Building.

1 Like

I live 6 blocks or so from the 4th Presbyterian. The instrument is the Andrew Pipe Organ, named after the benefactors who seeded the organ restoration project. I can say I’m lucky enough to have heard this magnificent organ live. It’s a thing of aural beauty. Btw the Cheesecake Factory, which is ‘below’ Big John, is worth dining at simply to marvel at the unique, quirky interior decor.

2 Likes

It is wonderful these instruments are still being built.

You are fortunate to have heard it.

1 Like

I”ve also heard organs in Europe: Britain and the Continent (France in particular). Beyond the majesty of what of these instruments can produce sonically, what I really appreciate is the fact each is unique. A pipe organ is an integral part of the structure it is installed in, which makes design and implementation a challenge. It has to be acoustically compatible and aesthetically appealing. They can considered works of art, not just musical instruments. Yeah, I’m smitten by pipe organs huge and not so huge.

2 Likes

shame disrespect is shown, as in wearing a hat. I remember forgetting to take my cap off back in 2002 at Notre dam in Paris, and got told off by a nun

Not an organ, but still . . . . I remember the time I was at an outdoor concert in Austria and first saw one of these. Pretty unforgettable!

3 Likes

I have played alphorns, great fun. Neat tradition. They are a good sized uncoiled trumpet. Modern versions are easily disassembled for transport and some are made out of carbon fiber for lightness.

Mozart wrote a piece for alphorn and strings.

2 Likes

https://marcussen-son.dk/marcussen-son/?lang=en

1 Like