Here's an even bigger organ!

You liked the first video this one is even bigger it seems

9 Likes

Breathtaking!

1 Like

Really is scotte1

I grew up in that neck of the woods (NW Indiana, actually) and have driven by that church in that part of town on more than one occasion. There is a great Cheesecake Factory restaurant across the street in the John Hancock Building.

1 Like

I live 6 blocks or so from the 4th Presbyterian. The instrument is the Andrew Pipe Organ, named after the benefactors who seeded the organ restoration project. I can say I’m lucky enough to have heard this magnificent organ live. It’s a thing of aural beauty. Btw the Cheesecake Factory, which is ‘below’ Big John, is worth dining at simply to marvel at the unique, quirky interior decor.

2 Likes

It is wonderful these instruments are still being built.

You are fortunate to have heard it.

1 Like

I”ve also heard organs in Europe: Britain and the Continent (France in particular). Beyond the majesty of what of these instruments can produce sonically, what I really appreciate is the fact each is unique. A pipe organ is an integral part of the structure it is installed in, which makes design and implementation a challenge. It has to be acoustically compatible and aesthetically appealing. They can considered works of art, not just musical instruments. Yeah, I’m smitten by pipe organs huge and not so huge.

3 Likes

shame disrespect is shown, as in wearing a hat. I remember forgetting to take my cap off back in 2002 at Notre dam in Paris, and got told off by a nun

Not an organ, but still . . . . I remember the time I was at an outdoor concert in Austria and first saw one of these. Pretty unforgettable!

4 Likes

I have played alphorns, great fun. Neat tradition. They are a good sized uncoiled trumpet. Modern versions are easily disassembled for transport and some are made out of carbon fiber for lightness.

Mozart wrote a piece for alphorn and strings.

2 Likes

https://marcussen-son.dk/marcussen-son/?lang=en

https://marcussen-son.dk/concert-hall-organs/wichita-state-university-¡-kansas-¡-usa/?lang=en

1 Like

I heard this famous organ, a few months before the tragical fire. I was sitting just behind the organ-player, my back was touching the huge organ case. When the tutti (full stops) was used with the deepest pipes, all my body was shaking. Breathtaking experience.

3 Likes

Our church in Dayton has a fairly large organ that used to be water powered. It went through a complete renovation and rebuild about five years ago and when it gets going really shakes the house. We are the oldest Catholic parish in Dayton. If you’re in the area, they play it every Sunday!

2 Likes

umiami91…thanks for sharing…another complex
sophisticated beautiful instrument…

Best wishes

1 Like