what Paul has said all along.

Have a look it is very well done!!

Best wishes

1 Like

Now here’s smores for you doubter hangers on:

Thanks to Brian.Fitterman

Best wishes

1 Like

Yeah, I was going to answer your first post on the P15 by saying that one need only turn to reputable 3rd party (outside of the AH’s and ASR’s) technical reviews to gain information from.

1 Like

My scale is loosely:
mmmm
mmm
mm
meh
They then get categorized—just in my head—table, dinner parties at home, dinner out, Class A, Class AB, …

2 Likes

Don’t forget math, english, geography and history classes!! :grin:

Best wishes

A post was split to a new topic: P15 with Mark Levinson 585.5 integrated amp

If you didn’t know, he’s a Journalist with no actual Engineering qualifications whatsoever. Those test instruments sitting on his deck in his YouTube videos are just props.

No I didn’t miss it. Granted, harmonic distortion of the incoming AC sine wave is cleaned up by the Power Plant, but high frequency noise injected into the AC mains from external sources flows right through the P10 to the audio equipment connected to the it.

I’m sure Paul/Bob can confirm this to be the case.

1 Like

I am unable to address this, possessing insufficient knowledge, but understand the distinction you are making.

I think I’ve heard Paul say on numerous occasions that the PowerPlants aren’t perfect, nor are they presented as such. The requirements for audio, specifically the current requirements for amplifiers, are not well served by devices like lab supplies like the BK Precision offerings. One, the 9801 can’t even provide enough current to take more than a 3 amp peak. Lab supplies are great at constant current draws but even BK’s largest offering, the $7800.00 9833 can’t provide more than 30 amp peak, and even modest amps can require instantaneous peaks of double and triple or even more. Lab supplies fall short. Even UPS’s don’t do well for this purpose either.

You can’t argue out of one side of your mouth that the power supply of the device can handle filtering high frequency elements, and then argue the opposite. What is required is a steady, stable regulated supply to maintain enough power reserves for peaks. The PowerPlants do a good job of the primary distortion elements, which it is designed to do.

5 Likes

Who is the “you” you’re referring to here??? I never said anything about the BK, or about any opposite argument of audio devices filtering high frequency elements. You’re confusing me with someone else.

@Barsley well said. Right to the point of why his tests are not as good as the ASR fan base assumes. Thanks.

The “you” is a generic “you” and “your” If you feel better you can replace with “a person”

Thomas Keller is self taught. Would you turn down a free meal at The French Laundry?

Saul Marantz was a trained Graphic Artist.

The list goes on. Autodidacticism has been prevelent for centuries.

Are we to discount Faraday now?

2 Likes

I am by far not an EE. But I Paul just posted a video on how Amps use Server Circuits to clean this up. If I am wrong please correct me. Is this why the PS Audio stack works so well together.

1 Like

Well, that has no relevance to me.

Please re-read my post to Paul where I clearly explain the problem of high noise on my AC line making it’s way through my P10 into my audio equipment that I could actually hear. I assumed, mistakenly it seems, that the P10 would clean all that up. It didn’t.

1 Like

It sounds like you have extraordinary circumstances that require more than a PP to resolve. I have two PP10 powered systems. Both are dead quiet. I did however provide them both dedicated 20 Amp circuits with decent outlets.

1 Like

Amire already gave you your answer. From his review:

“At high level, yes it is an AC regenerator capable of producing less distorted AC waveform.”

I have no idea what your setup may be, and the ingress of noise can come from associated equipment from the load side of the P10. I own one and I have >6% consistently and >8% THD at times in the evening and it does a stellar job. The real task to your dilemma is to identify what the noise is, and it’s source.

1 Like

@Barsley is correct in his comment above. You can’t compare a power supply designed for 3A with a high current design like a P12. It’s and apples/oranges comparison, since it’s far easier to design a clean 3A supply.

Because it has to do with integrity. PS Audio software internal to the machine under test isn’t the impartial determiner of the veracity of the advertised performance claims.

…But you know this already.

2 Likes