Here's the correct way of measuring a Power Plant

We are all free to reach our own conclusions. I have long aspired to own a Power Plant. After seeing Paul’s feeble rebuttal video, I am left with the impression that the Power Plant is a sham product. Yes, adding essentially another amp (the Power Plant) to your chain will alter the sound, and one may even like that alteration. But it’s clear that sonic alteration has little to do with AC Regeneration.

For me, this also calls into question the integrity of Paul McGown and PS Audio. It seems they have put marketing schtick above basic integrity when it comes to the Power Plant.

Those are my conclusions until Paul can provide third party data that refutes Amir’s claims.

As always, your mileage can, and likely will, vary.

And that’s ok. I’m ok, you’re ok. We’re all ok. And in the grand global scheme, this issue could not be more trivial…

2 Likes

Hey dancingsea
Dance no more…get a load of this…you might learn something

Happy learning

1 Like

Why, specifically?

What claims has PAUL/PSA made that have been suggested, let alone proven, to be false?

This is a sincere question and not an attempt at gaslighting.

If you don’t mind, please concisely list the PAUL/PSA claim(s) and the specific evidence presented that refutes the claim(s).

I, for one, have not been able to discern a significant concern in an appropriately specific allegation supported by relevant evidence.

But maybe the evidence was just obscured by all of the verbiage?

1 Like

Im a big fan of Paul and PSA and still will be even after watching this but it gives me pause

1 Like

ASR P12 follow up already posted in this thread.

Apologies
Thank you

1 Like

No need to apologize! I am just trying to keep the thread from going in even more circles than it already is.

I get it…it has a certain incendiary quality to it

If this was intended to reply to my response to @dancingsea, it fails to address my request:

List a PSA/Paul claim and then provide relevant data that specifically refutes the PSA/Paul claim. Linking to ASR videos does not “cut the mustard”.

I am a critical and skeptical person by nature. That said, constructive criticism requires critical analysis and critical thinking – two things I have not seen much of, historically, over on the ASR site.

Full disclosure, I have not been to that site in many, many moons.

Cheers.

It seems you are easily led by someone who has no clue about what he is talking about. The power plants absolutely convert ac to dc and regenerate a clean waveform. You choose to not believe that and that is your loss. No one else needs to hear any more of your bassless ramblings or those from asr either.

3 Likes

I sit here on a Saturday afternoon, seeing all the various viewpoints, and all the energies from the “does not” folks and ask myself, how could this have taken such a drastic turn for the worse as we see now. I see confusion from the original arguments from ASR that confuses one with size/weight of first generation PowerPlants like the P300/P600/P1000/P1200 which were completely different architecture and are far less efficient, to contrast with the new architecture from the P3 onward, and create a false comparison to the P12. Then ASR takes a lab supply, which cannot deliver more than 3 amps of current, and contrasts it’s specs with a P12, yet never tests the BK’s performance with his amp tests. (and cannot because he knows it’s can’t) This causes the second point of contention, which isn’t even a comparison of like devices. Then makes the assertion that it doesn’t bare the topology he thinks it should. To be honest, I see it more as an intentional ploy to create contention. Just sayin’

3 Likes

Ok but have you taken time to watch this very well done
P15 review. This review alone puts things right…Reinforces
what Paul has said all along.

Have a look it is very well done!!

Best wishes

1 Like

Now here’s smores for you doubter hangers on:

Thanks to Brian.Fitterman

Best wishes

1 Like

Yeah, I was going to answer your first post on the P15 by saying that one need only turn to reputable 3rd party (outside of the AH’s and ASR’s) technical reviews to gain information from.

1 Like

My scale is loosely:
mmmm
mmm
mm
meh
They then get categorized—just in my head—table, dinner parties at home, dinner out, Class A, Class AB, …

2 Likes

Don’t forget math, english, geography and history classes!! :grin:

Best wishes

A post was split to a new topic: P15 with Mark Levinson 585.5 integrated amp

If you didn’t know, he’s a Journalist with no actual Engineering qualifications whatsoever. Those test instruments sitting on his deck in his YouTube videos are just props.

No I didn’t miss it. Granted, harmonic distortion of the incoming AC sine wave is cleaned up by the Power Plant, but high frequency noise injected into the AC mains from external sources flows right through the P10 to the audio equipment connected to the it.

I’m sure Paul/Bob can confirm this to be the case.

1 Like

I am unable to address this, possessing insufficient knowledge, but understand the distinction you are making.

I think I’ve heard Paul say on numerous occasions that the PowerPlants aren’t perfect, nor are they presented as such. The requirements for audio, specifically the current requirements for amplifiers, are not well served by devices like lab supplies like the BK Precision offerings. One, the 9801 can’t even provide enough current to take more than a 3 amp peak. Lab supplies are great at constant current draws but even BK’s largest offering, the $7800.00 9833 can’t provide more than 30 amp peak, and even modest amps can require instantaneous peaks of double and triple or even more. Lab supplies fall short. Even UPS’s don’t do well for this purpose either.

You can’t argue out of one side of your mouth that the power supply of the device can handle filtering high frequency elements, and then argue the opposite. What is required is a steady, stable regulated supply to maintain enough power reserves for peaks. The PowerPlants do a good job of the primary distortion elements, which it is designed to do.

5 Likes