High-end USB (or I2S) Cables Evaluation on DS MK2

dchang05,

You’ll need this for your new uber cable!

1 Like

I have this little guy coming in later based on waymanchen’s recommendation:

iFi iPurifier3 USB Audio and Data Signal Filter/Purifier (USB Male Type B, White)

I wonder if I would hear more improvement. I mean it is hard to believe how much this cable could do already.

I have this device for my PC setups to my desktop RME DAC. Everything is barely “entry level” is the context of this thread. Even that, there is a audible cleaning effect. Not big, but it’s there. But If you want to me to blind A/B, I’ll probably fail 60% of the time.

1 Like

Its a good thing I bought it from Amazon then :laughing:

With the Omega, I am sure I can pass the A/B blind test 100%. The thing about blind tests is you need to listen to both for a while to know their sound in your system, then you can tell easily. If you just walk into an unfamiliar room to hear an unfamiliar system, you cannot tell the difference in any gear most of the time because when doubt arises in your head then you become a mule.

2 Likes

Well, I got the IPurifier3 from Amazon just now. I will put it in the chain after tomorrow. The Omega has improved nicely. I should give an assessment by tomorrow. If this little device would improve SQ on top of Omega, that would be something.

4 Likes

Too many changes at once could really confuse you, if you’re not confussed enough already. Better take a few shots before each listening session to calm you down first. Looking forward to your reviews!

3 Likes

I believe you will be the only person ever to use the IPurifier device with such an extraordinary cable. In my opinion it is a very silly move. Such devices are for lesser gear.

8 Likes

One of the reasons that I bought it from Amazon :rofl:

2 Likes

You need a system like Al’s before such devices are irrelevant. In our more humble system it can indeed make quite a difference.

Very promising, when I read “analog” I immediately imagine a special feeling with this cable!
As for other qualities let it the right time to reveal the true character, I’m carefully reading every comments, take your time and thanks for sharing your thoughts step by step.

PS: just to add more spice to this delicious USB plate, I’m reading on WTB forum that the only cable able to compete against the Omega is the Sablon EVO, maybe @stevensegal has some more informations about this UK brand.

1 Like

Sablon has not been popular in the US, and I do not know if there are dealers that carry it here. But I have heard of EVO, and it is highly regarded in Europe and Aisa.

But I can tell you will soon jump into a USB rabbit hole, and my review may accelerate that move :grin:

1 Like

Can’t wait, you know!

Just sent a message to Mark, the owner of Sablon Audio, in order to inform him about this thread… let’s see if he chime in or give us infos about distribution in US.
I’m not affiliated with any brand as you know, and still haven’t listen to this product, just curious to have more infos directly from designer/manufacturer.

1 Like

Even with both cables side-by-side in someone’s system, the “right” cable that tunes a system to a favorable listening experience will often be judged as a “better” cable for this listener. We will not know which one would work better in our system. Sometimes the topline cables just sound different, not necessarily one is “better” than the other.

But I think you will be happy with either choice.

4 Likes

I’ve been a delighted owner of the Sablon 2020 USB cable and auditioned the most recent incarnation as well. I currently am using the Omega USB cable.

To echo @dchang05 's note above, the ideal cable for me has been moving around as the rest of my system has been evolving. When I was looking for more space and transparency, the Sablon was the best I ever heard in my system. As with all of Mark’s cables that I’ve listened to, after 3-5 seconds, my reaction is “OK, no need for any more listening tests, this is the one”

As my system got more and more refined in that dimension, the Omega brought a pitch black background and a feeling of comfort and warmth, without giving up too much on the space and transparency front. Given the how the rest of my system was now carrying the ball in that dimension, the Omega has been a wonderful balance to bring some audio umami to my living room (and luscious background blacks)

These days I now have (for the first time) some tubes in my pre amp path. The Omega is still something special, but it may be time to revisit USB cables in the context of new system dynamics.

As always, give an extended listen in your own room. If after a week after you switch back, youre excited about what you’ve been missing, you have your answer. If you feel like something is missing, you also have your answer.

At the end of the day, I think anyone would be delighted with either the Sablon or Omega (I haven’t heard anything else that comes close to them). It is really a matter of system balance and preference which is best for you.

6 Likes

Thanks for your comments, I agree with you.

I really trust in @dchang05 impressions, as already happened several times for tubes, fuses and power cords, mostly because we have so similar systems (and tastes it seems).
Better is always subjective. Sometimes we found a general consensus on the forum about stuff (Dragon HDMI cable, P20, Gold Lion, SR or M-1 fuse, EtherREGEN, tuning rings) that is very useful for me, inspiring my route and exciting my experiments (and purchases as well!).
This particular thread is bringing light on USB high-end cables, an argument pretty new to our attention that is emerging recently due to the incredibly performance of MK II DAC inherent input.

Omega is under evaluation and I’m anxious to know Donald’s verdict. Curious to know if there are alternatives on the market, this is the reason why I was asking about Sablon that I didn’t know before. For instance I actually like Pink Faun USB.
Collecting infos is my aim at the moment. Please take duly note that here in Italy is difficult (if not impossible) having some (most) brands to trial at home, oh how many times I bought things based only on forum shared impressions! Sometimes works, sometimes not. Omega and Sablon are on my radar (but a room refurbishment is keeping me enough busy to pospone every decision, headphone included, Vince!).

I’m looking forward to your posts, thanks.

2 Likes

In my experience, the better sounding cable does the least amount of damage to the signal. I sometimes try a cable from another brand in hopes that it can approach the quality of my usual brand, at a less unholy price. Often I enjoy what I hear with the new cable. Until I switch back to the cable I normally use. It’s always very obvious.

What I was thinking when I said what I said about the ipurifier is fairly simple. Shunyata makes the very expensive Omega cable. They put their very best engineering into it. If they thought a ipurifier type device could offer an improvement to their cable, they’d sell one.

It was mentioned that if you have a system like mine you don’t need such devices. I think that is true. But the reason I think that it is true is because higher end gear typically tries to solve the problems of USB type noise issues in a piece of gear themselves. Case in point, galvanic isolation. The MK1 version of the DSD DAC did not offer galvanic isolation for USB. The MK2 version does. So an ipurifier would be a good thing for the MK1, not so much for the MK2. This is gear many of you use.

I think Omega cables are designed for better gear. It is unlikely someone will purchase such a cable for a DAC that costs less than the cable itself. Which is why I said he might be the only person to try such a device with an Omega cable.

Ipurifiers offer benefits to a lot of people. But probably nothing to someone who owns a DSD MK2. And I place it in the more generally affordable category.

Oh, and the most obvious question, have I ever tried such a device? Yes. They are in a drawer somewhere. Buying one from Amazon is a great idea so it can easily be returned.

10 Likes

Luca, Mark of Sablon Audio is a regular on Whatsbestforum. He’s a nice guy.

1 Like

I’m with you on this, Al.

1 Like

Normally I do not change anything in my system when evaluating a new equipment, But I have heard Omega enough to form a solid opinion. It has not done with break in yet, but the improvement has slowed down so my evaluation should not change. After reading Al and Waymanchen posts on IFI IPurifier3, the curiosity got to me. So, I inserted the little thing into the chain before I went to bed. I figure even this guy needs to break in. I used Steve08226 BACCH playlist running all night to warm it up. (This playlist is great for break-in and testing equipment too!).

After one hour of turning on the system, the system sounded as great as yesterday and maybe even better. The background is dead silence, and the music is as clear as I have ever heard.

Then I removed it from MK2. Oh yeah! The live music attacked me like a massive flood. Al is right on this one! The pair of TAP Modules (out of respect I will not call them dumbbells anymore) and the cable itself are doing what is needed for removing noises and glare. Adding the IPurifier3 has masked a dose of reality; the micro dynamic and vividness were flattened somewhat. It’s clear the IFI device is not designed for topline Shunyata digital cables, but this does not mean it would not help in a different type of design. So, thank you Amazon for a free try!

I wonder how professional reviewers do it; after giving great reviews on gears then hear something better? I should just say Omega is much better. But my friend Luca has big expectations from my review, and possibly buy one as a result. Okay, I will try to describe how it is better and post it later. But it is a very safe recommendation. :golfing_man:

4 Likes