is the USB sounds better than Bridge?

from Ted’s presentation, DS should sound the same regardless of input method, however from what I read in the post, I got impression USB, with special cable and driver, sound the best. I am currently using the bridge on DS. I owned MK2 and never try anything other than bridge

tao

Most of my life with the MKI and MKII has been used with the bridge. This to me always provided the best sound.

All my listening now with the Directstream though has been via USB and JRiver through a Mac Mini connected with a 1.5 meter Audioquest Carbon USB cable. To me this sounds so much better, offers a great user experience with JRmote on the iPad, provides gapless playback and eliminates all the quirks of the Bridge. I’m so happy with the sound right now that I’m not even looking to test out the bridge for awhile.

With that being said, I love what the bridge does, the flexibility it provides and will certainly be on board and looking forward to when the B MKII is ready! But for now I have a lot of music to reintroduce myself to.

T

Yah, me too.

Most of my almost 300 hrs has been with the Bridge. I only used the USB at the beginning with tests and to make sure it worked well.

A couple of days ago, since I have a couple of off site demos coming up, I figured I should put some mileage on USB to make sure the sonics were mature by burn in.

The user interface makes me giggle since the tracks play without the Bridge buffer slowing down the flow, especially when playing SACD or DSD.

The sound is indeed different. But, similar to the comments I made on the first impressions posts like tubby or undefined bass [ it has now settled down to 90%] and some edgy treble on some tracks. I think it is a bit too early to say but based on what I hear so far I suspect that both are great BUT, I would still give a slight edge to the Bridge for " finesse". The USB seems a tad warmer for now but less “open”.

I am excited to hear how this plays out over time.

Playing now is “A Tribute to Stevie” with Jimmy V, Bonny R, Eric C, Dr J, Robert Cray.

Gotta Go, Bonny is really here and just asked for a coffee.smiley-music005_gif

taoh21130 said

from Ted’s presentation, DS should sound the same regardless of input method, however from what I read in the post, I got impression USB, with special cable and driver, sound the best. I am currently using the bridge on DS. I owned MK2 and never try anything other than bridge

tao

The reasons the sound may be different between the bridge and USB are different for the PWD and the DS. In the PWD the bridge lowers jitter more because it has a built in digital lens. In the DS jitter matters less. But in both systems the groundloops, EMI and RFI between USB and the network can be different for each system. I would suggest that potential differences between the bridge and USB are more system specific with a DS than they were with the PWD. Also when Paul and I were listening to the same system together, the USB cable he liked the best was worse for me (and another person as well.) At these levels the differences may be just personal preference.

Did anybody compare the Bridge vs USB with the Bridge removed?