Holy mother of .... BHK Signature Preamp

Thanks TJ I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Please post your reactions as soon as they are formed.

You betcha Paul! I can’t wait…:):smile:

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: We also love cars

Very interesting, since installing the BHK 300 monoblocks, I have almost imperceptible volume clicking. Almost zero!
Awesome

1 Like

The clicking/snapping on mine was pretty noticeable, but once my single ended cables were removed and the balanced XLR cables installed, the clicks are nearly gone.

Resuscitating an old thread here. Didn’t want to start a new one unless absolutely necessary. But I have two questions about the BHK volume control, one in particular about the remote:

1. I’ve owned my preamp, and the mono amps for almost three years. Lately, the manual knob volume control has developed some erratic behavior, where steadily turning it doe not produce a steady change in volume level. Normally, it seems to move in half point increments, but now sometimes, the level doesn’t change for several turns, and then it will change quickly.

2. The remote control has become almost unusable. It’s the nice long, silver remote with illuminated buttons that controls the preamp, DAC, DMP, and phono preamp. I have swapped for fresh batteries, but sometimes, my preamp and DS will show no response, and then, suddenly, the volume control will go haywire and go straight to max, or all the way to zero, with no ability to make it stop. This can be unpleasant.

Has anyone else experienced similar or simply erratic behavior with the volume control on the BHK preamp, or remote communication problems?

I haven’t owned my pieces as long as you have, and have not experienced any operational issues. Since you are close to the end of your warranty, I would reach out to PS Support and see if they have a resolution. I’m guessing you’ve tried to unplug the unit and let it sit for a day and then re-power it.
good luck

Yeah, thanks for the quick reply; am already there. Just wanted to see if anyone here had a similar issue.

Do you Have another remote. Possibly the one from the DS Dac. Just to see if the other remote doesn’t have the same problem?

1 Like

My system sounds identical to yours as well as its age. I have also experienced the issue you describe in your “point 1”. It has happened about half a dozen times in a couple years and usually happens out of the blue. It has always self-corrected itself after switching to using the remote instead of the knob control. I have not had it happen in a while now… I have not experienced the problem with the remote.

Thanks for that input @EaglesMan. As I was doing some updated room correction, I happened to plug in my Audeze headphones to listen without speakers. The BHK behaved correctly, reducing volume down to 25. I then unplugged the headphones, and returned to my room correction. Afterward, I played some more music and, pleasant surprise, the remote worked just fine. It’s as if the headphone interaction got it to “sort itself out.” I’m going to try to test twice per day to stay on top of it while I still have warranty left, but for now, all good.

hey Paul! well…I’ve had my BHK pre and DSD combination for about a year now…and LOVE IT.
especially now, since I have replaced the stock tubes with some Cifte 12AU7’s from Upscale. holy mother is right!. love love love it.

question for ya…

I also recently bought a used Calypso preamp. I sent it away to be upgraded to current Aesthetix specifications… with a new power supply, filter caps, new high voltage transistors, etc.

My plan is to stack it against the BHK over the next several months. Then decide which preamp is the long term keeper.

Question is, and I accept this is more of a personal taste thing, but which tubes would you suggest for the Calypso - or which tubes did you prefer when you owned a Calypso…if you can remember :slight_smile: or…are you able to share any recommendation on technique for comparing the 2 units…

anyway…l am looking forward to this experiment! Any thoughts appreciated.

all the best, TJ.

1 Like

TJ, after reading your post I felt compelled to respond.
It is my opinion that your comment/question is very instinctive and by trying to put the owner of PS Audio on the spot by asking him to choose which preamp is best is insulting.

I am not trying to ‘flame’ you but asking Paul to make a choice between his preamp and another preamp is something that should not be displayed on this forum.

You are totally missing the point especially when you state how much you are enjoying the BHK yet are willing to casually throw it overboard at a moments notice based on subjective information.

I am disappointed with the insensitive nature of your question…
Please try and do better in future!

hey Sandrock, I think you may be overreacting…just a little…and sadly, twisting the words in my post.

In actual fact, I didn’t ask Paul to choose anything - nor did I say I was throwing anything anywhere…and especially not casually. That is just a ridiculous attempt at paraphrasing.

On the contrary, I am aiming to evaluate two excellent preamps over a period of several months.

I’m pretty sure Paul would understand what I am trying to accomplish here, and not be insulted or disrespected by my post.

in the future, please respect the inquisitiveness and intent of posts by others. And maybe let Paul respond for himself. I 'm pretty sure he can handle it :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you perform a google search of “bhk on calypso preamp” the first result is a link to the PS Audio forums of all places, where Paul discusses the Calypso Preamp in relation to the BHK Preamp back in 2016. Very cool reading

Man, you’re taxing my already addled memory. I really don’t think I remember tube swapping either. The Calypso was run with stock tubes as was the BHK. While I loved the Calypso, the BHK just ate its lunch.

right on. thanks Paul!

@cardri, saw your pictures and observe a serious investment into the analog chain. Just curious why you don’t invest in vinyl.

@Rudolf_Appel - I once had a Transaudio Oracle Delphi TT 35 years ago and loved the vinyl and had a nice LP collection… long story short… sold it all in the mid 90s and I just got back into stereo in spring 2018… this time around is more about listening to music, than preparing to listen to music… not a hater of vinyl, just don’t require the romantic notions of vinyl and digital is close enough… also; if God is good to me I have ~25 years left and not looking to spend a huge amount of time collecting LPs for offspring I do not have. Right now I have ~5,000 digital albums and it would take me a lifetime (I don’t have) to put together a very cool LP collection… if you sent me 2500 LPs of smooth jazz, I’d gladly go out and buy a nice Basis TT… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well I have a small but enjoyable collection of LP’s. Never sold mine, thought what’s the point at that time, spent a fortune on that music and then give it away. Too much of a Dutchman for that. :wink:
But I also like the sentimental stuff around it. Nothing to do with better or worse.

Your system without analog to PCM to DSP to class-D conversions in the chain after your digital source will make it easy to step in with a turntable and phono stage to enjoy the all analog chain with such a nice pre amp.