How do Accuphase, BHK, Pass Labs, MBL and Gryphon amps compare sonically?

For some reason the lyrics from Billy Joel’s “And so it Goes” seem appropriate related to Jay’s Audios love of rotating amps and other equipment. My guess his journey will continue on to gather yet more eyeballs.

“In every heart there is a room
A sanctuary safe and strong
To heal the wounds from lovers past
Until a new one comes along…
and so it goes and so it goes”

A great description of this songs lyrics follows at this link:

I have heard that Jay’s audio isn’t a fan of MBL… different strokes for different folks. I appreciate opinions but have doubts about controversial statements when those very statements have monetary motives for gathering eyeballs.

2 Likes

Well said…

Follow the money, know the agenda and discernment will follow.

Nothing wrong with capitalism/being a capitalist, but “caveat emptor”, in the marketplace as well as the marketplace of ideas, are words to live by.

:wink:

2 Likes

I watched a few of their vids. I felt like I was watching a late night infomercial.

I’m happy they found something they like doing and others enjoy. It’s just not for me.

I don’t know what I would review if given the opportunity. Food comes to mind but that’s pretty well covered. Dog toys is a possibility.

3 Likes

You had a chat with Jay?

1 Like

Fair points - the BJ reference is probably a good one. He admits none of the gear he buys means much to him, as he knows it’ll be transatory. It’s about the journey.

Make your own judgments about how compromised ALL audio reviewers are, magazines especially included. We could debate that, and I think the result would be heavily tilted to him being far less compromised (he buys all his gear (owns it) - virtually none of it is loaned or given - in stark contrast to magazine reviews, which can require you to pay them for advertising to perpetuate their existence - who’s more trustworthy?), but I digress

1 Like

I’d say he and I are “ virtual friends,” the same way many here on this forum probably feel like they know well others on here. We chit chat occasionally. He said yesterday I need to come down and hear the Boulder system for myself in his room.

But other than the virtual friend aspect no affiliation, just a long time participant on his A’gon thread, which started years before he created the YT channel (I actually discouraged him to start the YT at the time, haha - he didn’t listen) .

He’s a good dude. Can’t sit still but that’s what makes the follow fun. Unlike many audiophiles who get all butt hurt if anyone disagrees with them or their preferred gear, he’s almost the complete opposite because he isn’t married to his gear. He buys Boulder and Gryphon amps the way we buy a tshirt or a pair of shoes.

Here’s a five minute history vid of a small fraction (well less than 50%, I reckon) of much of the higher end stuff that he’s owned, to put his Boulder declaration in perspective.

(No the bHK or DS or P20 didn’t make the vid (unless I missed them), but he’s owned them too - the vid heavily focuses mostly on just the last two years of his journey- the first 3 years were even more wild Wild West, haha, albeit at lower tier levels).

Jay’s Audio Lab to have a head to head shootout of Boulder 3060 vs Gryphon Apex power amps at the end of the month. Quarter mil msrp just in power amps, yikes

I hope that if I had his “job” I would come across more like Jeff Lebowski then… well, him.

I am much more of an abide person.

3 Likes

And I take comfort in knowing that “the Dude abides.”

1 Like

Jay’s Audio Lab now not only getting Gryphon Apex, but also the Commander preamp for shootout against Boulder 3060 and 3010.

Giddy up

2 Likes

Sorry I didn’t have the time so far to give the promised overview over my impressions of the brands which I know quite or very good (compared to just a short listen, which I certainly also had of some newer models of the brands). Now on holidays I managed to write a bit.

I named the component of the respective brand, my characterization is mainly based upon. It’s often an older one meanwhile, but mostly basic characteristics don’t change fundamentally. Anyway certain weaknesses will certainly have improved with later models.

I listed strengths under ++ and negative or weaker points under – in relation to the relevant price level and other competitors.

I used !! behind unusually strong characteristics

Where characteristics are not mentioned, they are on usual high level for the price range.

So here my subjective (with the attempt to be objective), quick characterization. Everyone’s welcome to disagree or discuss where necessary.
Pass Aleph 0 monos
++
speed
transparency
prat
vivid bass
some tube like vividness, airiness, realness (surprising for a ss amp)

slam
rich tonal colors
Threshold Stasis SA2 mono power amps
+/-
similar to Pass Aleph 0 with less pronounced positives
Hovland HP 100MC tube preamp:
++
tube typical vividness, airiness, realness
top end extension, detail and quality!!
transparency
vivid bass

slam/impact
dynamics
Brinkmann mono power amps
++
speed
control
neutrality

no tube typical vividness, airiness, realness
emotional impact
tonal colors
Gryphon prototype stereo power amp (quasi modded Antileon), Electra preamp, Orestes phono amp
++
impact/slam
emotional impact!!
tonal colors and harmonic structure (especially in bass)!!
resolution!!
extension
enveloping imaging
ease
makes worse recordings sound better, feels like having a sub (in a positive way) without having one connected

no vivid bass
prat
neutrality
speed
no tube like vividness, airiness, realness
Vitus prototype stereo power amp
+/-
*similar to Gryphon with less emotional impact and harmonic structure in bass. Also with similar but clearly less pronounced weaknesses
*Vitus uses much better parts than Gryphon and several others, but is also quite a bit more expensive
Lamm M1.1 hybrid tube mono amps
+/-
similar to Vitus with some tube typical vividness, airiness, realness
Boulder 2060 stereo power amp
++
*seems perfect in most characteristics
*neutral

*no tube like vividness, airiness, realness
*the setup either has to be perfect or one has to care for some emotional, euphonic character elsewhere
Octave HP500MC hybrid tube preamp
++
soundstaging

resolution
Halcro DM10 preamp
++
neutrality
transparency

no tube typical vividness, airiness, realness
tonal colors/harmonic structure/emotion
liveliness
Audio Note Kondo KSL M7 tube preamp
++
transparency!!
soundstaging
prat

dynamics/energy
impact/slam
only little tonal richness
Einstein The Preamp (tube)
++
dynamics!!
energy, punch, liveliness!!
speed
control
prat
3D/air!!

no clear weakness identified except that transparency is not on Audio Note Kondo level

4 Likes

That’s an impressive list!

2 Likes