How do Accuphase, BHK, Pass Labs, MBL and Gryphon amps compare sonically?

Passionate audiophiles dedicated to their craft!

I don’t know if I often enough make the effort to recognize the thousands of people in the high-end audio industry, masters of their craft that make it possible to own and experience these amazing components that bring music and happiness to our lives

So, thank you @Paul and the entire team in Boulder for your boundless passion while continually striving to produce innovative products superior to the previous versions. Your products and those of so many others, though the music they produce, enhance our lives

BTW, still patiently awaiting MKII Dac :slightly_smiling_face:

Best,
-JP

1 Like

Yes, this here is a little narrowed focus regarding brands of interest, recordings, pressings etc. There’s more to find in this regard at the whatsbestforum in terms of HW and sophisticated setups and at the stevehoffman forum in terms of recordings/masterings and pressings of digital or analog.

Will try to give a very superficial feedback on the amps next week.

2 Likes

Thanks jazznut!!

Best wishes

Just saw this thread. I went from BHK 300s to MBL Noble N15.to MBL 9011 monos driving MBL 101s. Three different classes of amps. Along each step of this journey everything became more organic and real. I am an MBL fanboy so my opinion is biased. I would echo @aangen comments above. He has had the opportunity to listen to my progression of having amplifiers that cost more than a decent Ferrari…and I am looking forward to his Apex arriving at his place this summer

5 Likes

My buddy who visited me last week had me over to his place. Unreal system, nearly as good as the @paul172 system. Everywhere I go everyone has great systems. What a world!

4 Likes

What a great thread. I missed this. Thanks all.

Boulder is the glaring omission to the list if price is no object. Jay’s Audio Lab currently running Boulder 3010 and 3060 and says it’s easily topped every setup he’s had, even on comparatively modest Magico S7 speakers. He’s had all Gryphon amps sans Apex and all D’Ag sans Relentless and all ARC and all Pass and all Luxman and Constellation and Block and Soulution and …. heck even bhk.

Great hobby to blow money if so inclined (who among us hasn’t looked past the amount of $$$ we kick into this madness)

Ha. So he was a gryphon bigot. Has he mentioned gryphon specifically in his compare? What does he like better w Boulder?

He had mentioned in the past that specific Boulder amps weren’t that great … I thought he liked the 2160?? I’m not familiar w Boulder models

I don’t want to speak for him. He just got the Boulder 3010, which is a preamp, so nothing contradictory. If the last thing you have is the best, doesn’t make saying gryphon the best 6 months ago wrong (at that time he liked Gryphon but hadn’t had the top Boulder). Yes he hated the old Boulder circa 5-10 years ago. Current stuff is much different, apparently. Anyway whatever you think is your business so I won’t try to persuade you.

I’m behind on his vids and mainly just follow his A’gon thread so I’m not sure exactly what he’s said in direct comparison.

Oh I’m not being confrontational. I like him. I just know he had a love jones w gryphon and had to move on for the sake of interest and wondered if he mad any references to gryphon in his compare. I have to subscribe.

So since we are on this topic … of the brands mentioned in this thread. Which might pair best with big Maggies if anyone has an opinion. Because I really think the amp pick in this high quality becomes a synergy thing.

Re: Jay’s Audio
I avoid his Youtube page, hopefully I don’t have to avoid his “thoughts” here.

Please don’t parrot his thoughts here.

4 Likes

No need to be defensive. I’m sure you could eventually trade up to the Boulder from Gryphon Apex ; )

j/k, I take either in a heartbeat.

In all seriousness, cool thread especially those who provided descriptions of what they hear

He loooovvvees him some gryphon al. Lol. He really do.

Ha, his post from a half hour ago (ironic bc he generally doesn’t get this definitive publicly so I was surprised to read it on A’gon now, tho I knew he felt that way):

Boulder 3060 & Boulder 3010

As many of you all know by now, I’ve been through a TON of equipment. I started this with power amps then went through preamps, DACs, speakers and cables. Thousands of hours and backache from all the heavy lifting and of course, i drove a ton of miles to chase the components that became available to me.

With that said, I’ve had the pleasure to own so much and although i did encounter special components along the way, i kept pushing boundaries. Every night I went to bed thinking :thinking: - how can I raise the bar???

A few times, i thought i had nowhere else to go but down. I went to shows to explore new possibilities and see if there was something that could spark my interest and i failed.

Fast forward to 2022 - I acquire the 3060 Boulder amplifier. From the beginning, this amp and I didn’t quite shake hands until i strapped its sibling behind it; the 2110 Preamp.

I spent countless hours fine tuning these 2 components with cables , stands, power conditioners until i got them to sound AMAZING. This was no easy feat because fine tuning is essential in any well-designed system and can be extremely painful.

Then i get an email… The Boulder 3010 is available to me and it took me gutting what remained of my disposable income to bring the 3010 into my home. What followed were the most important changes I’ve heard in my system: cristal clear presentation, resolution, no limitations of ANY KIND.

As i sit here tonight, listening to these 2 components I realize that my past simply a taste of what the real thing sounds like.

There has NEVER EVER been anything like these two components in my room. They are sitting on the throne while every other component I’ve owned is kneeling at their feet.

This is the end. My gut tells me there is nothing above these two. I’m complete and i can say with 1000% certainty that they are THE BEST I’ve ever owned. No ifs, no maybe’s, no beating around the bush. I’m being 100% clear without stuttering.

Boulder 3060 & 3010 - Jay’s Audio Lab top components.

1 Like

Uh huh.

Right.

Sure.

That’s the ticket.

1 Like

Haha. So the only reason he got rid of gryphon - and he admitted it - is because he had a channel and guys wanted to hear about new things.

Indeed. So much so that more than one Gryphon dealer was using his videos to sell their products, sending customers to view the vids

Right. Eventually the Boulder will be gone too. He isn’t married to anything. He’s dispassionate in that way (not a fanboy of any brand) which makes imo the reviews more credible.

For him it’s all about the journey. Nothing is permanent, all about the ride - wired differently haha, and Monopoly money, must be nice.

Edit:
I just had a quick chat with him and he still plans to get gryphon apex too

I guess I need a kzk filter.
Easy enough to do.

3 Likes