How have you allocated $ in your system

@Elk

“Wisdom of the crowd” is an interesting theory though. Asking a single non subjective question to the “wisdom of the of the crowd” is often a somewhat correct answer…and more correct as the crowd numbers increase.

I think this thread is a very interesting thread that is highly beneficial for everyone’s self analysis of their own system, and to see if there are any anomalies that may point to a weakness within someone’s own system. I see an anomaly in my system, where a low 4% focus is on music source.

1 Like

@adifferentpaul

Music source is interesting I agree. I think this this thread should include % music media as a factor as well…maybe even more interesting.

System Parts: Cost Percent
| — | — | — |
Integrated Tube Amp 36.38%
Speakers 17.53%
Turntable 14.02%
Phono Stage 13.15%
Cartridge 10.96%
Cables/Interconnects 5.55%
Tone Control 2.41%
|—|---|—|

This was MSRP also. I paid 40% less for the amp (ex demo) which is why it’s so much higher priced than the rest of the gear.

1 Like

It certainly can be.

Regardless, it is an interesting thread.

A different kind of an “Infinity” IRS

1 Like

That is one of the reasons I started the thread. However, everybody has different rooms and musical tastes so I would expect a wide variety of allocations. Different strokes for different folks and different rooms. These allocations can be enlightening but should also be taken with a grain of salt. For example I think one of the best values and a recommended entry for new audiophiles is the active Kef LS50 that can be had for $1900 on sale. You have almost everything you need wrapped up in one product (speaker, amp, dac, Roon end point, etc). Not sure how you would allocate that great solution.

2 Likes

You make a good point. My system is lopsided with the speakers (2nd hand) costly me less than the cables that connect them let alone the electronics. My space and lifestyle choices are such that it’s difficult to find ‘better’ speakers in the size appropriate for my space. I started with the speakers too. The issue for me is not one of resources rather practicality and suitability. Every situation is different for each of us.

1 Like

I agree. I haven’t played this game as I have KEF LSX in my office, KEF LS50W in my living room, and Dutch & Dutch 8c in my main listening room. I have no idea how to do allocations for these systems. I do have good power cables and a P5 though.

2 Likes

I hate to be the one that changes the posts in the thread from 69 but…

Main music listening set-up
30%Amplification - Pre + Power
30%Sources - LP - Server - PC
20%Speakers - My kissy kiss kiss Dali Menuets…
10%Dacs- Mobile and Stationary
10%Stands and Power and cables

EDIT:
Although come to think of it. I am moving and will change those percentages soon.
Half my system price will be my new turntable set up. And then Im adding a nice rack for my system and long XLR interconnects for the power amp that’ll be between my speakers on the floor.
I have thousands of LPs, more than half are terrible “pops classical” like Boston pops and assorted matching bands, ecclectic and Soviet, that I got as my inheritance from my grandad (as I was the only one in the entire family that also loves music annnnd paid money for it!)

So, long story short,

80% LP’s :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
10% Record player and connected phono electronics :star_struck:
2% My lovey dovey Dali Menuets :heart_eyes: :kissing_heart: :heart_eyes:
8% Everything else

EDIT EDIT: Added my LPs to the percentage

3 Likes

:sweat_smile:
So true

Vinyl (for me at least) is a very happy “bottomless pit”. There is a sweet spot where you really no longer need to spend loads on an analog front end. This (for me) is at $10k (actual price paid) for TT, cart and phono pre. Yes, it’s a pain to obtain great, NM vintage records and find new labels worth a damn in terms of SQ, but it’s also great to have access to more recordings than you could find any other way. What’s not to like about that?

2 Likes

I love vinyl… it’s completely decimated my bank account from the moment I got my record deck, but I love every minute of record hunting, finding the exact right pressing, the right seller.

It gives me more satisfaction despite the obvious trade offs than digital ever did.

5 Likes

I am interested in the cable and any outside equipment relative to the nearly all in one systems you have in the Dutch And Dutch as well as the Kefs. I am tempted to try the Dutch and Dutch but I am hooked on the sound of my Maggie 20.7s.

I use NRG .1 CS from the wall to my P5 and from there to my 8Cs. I like the NRG because they are quite flexible. The 8Cs are stand-mounted so the flexibility helps. I use the stock cables on the KEFs as they are in public spaces not conducive to heavy gauge cables. The only other components I have a NUC running ROCK connected to my Matrix-X SPDIF 2 via USB and XLR for AES to the 8Cs. I haven’t invested a lot in the XLR cable because I plan to use Ethernet only when the 8Cs support roon endpoint. I also have an Etherregen between my switch and my NUC. So, in the spirit of the thread, here is my breakdown.

Active speakers 62.6%
Power regeneration 12.5%
Digital source including software and ethernet isolation 15.625%
Cables 9.375%

I think your system set up is the future for a lot of audiophiles. Especially those that live with other folks in their house.

60% Room Acoustic Treatments
40% System

:kissing_heart: More Love Michael

“PS depends on which room I choose” :wink: :smile:
(70 % of the sound is the room) spend money on Room Acoustic Treatments)

3 Likes

Agreed. My goal is to get to a roon server in a closet and isolated ethernet to my active speakers with good power cables and regeneration. I am using REW with my 8Cs for room correction. It works great.

1 Like

One of the benefits of sitting near field is that you don’t need to invest as much in room treatment.

Nonsense…
Remember to measure your statements … your spaces…more love Michael

3 Likes