How important is a top quality CD transport with the MKll?

“DirectStream MK2 is less sensitive to the vagaries of input source types and their level of jitter than most DACs made”. Quote directly from the MKll manual. I’ve been using my Pioneer DVD player with a great SPDIF cable with spectacular results since I bought my MKll. I own a few SACDs but CDs are where my primary physical medium interests are. I’ve got to wonder though how much of a sonic improvement should I expect with a change to something like the PST?

Well gosh. I have found that CD transports under $30K are all pretty much the same. Above that things get really interesting. Unbelievable how much better the very expensive transports sound. It would shock you. It shocked me.
I had a PST and a Jay’s Audio CDT2-MKIII. They sound the same to me. A fraction of the quality of a Gryphon Ethos or MBL 1621A.

1 Like

30k is definitely way beyond my comfort zone. I suspected that about the others especially used with a DAC that has galvanic isolation. I have had good luck just performing common sense tweaks on my DVD players. A modest upgrade to the power cord if the player doesn’t have a captive one. But mostly I had success with vibration dampening, especially if applied as close as possible the drive mechanism.

For a transport under $10k, I found PST sounds much better than OPPO 205.

2 Likes

At the low end scale of the spectrum, I have found that a Pioneer Blu-Ray player beats the crap out of a Pioneer DVD player sound quality-wise.
I have also found that a Panasonic 4k Blu-Ray player (the $1100 one) crushes the Pioneer Blu-Ray player for sound quality.
Yes, digital music source is the weak part of my system, though there is a great convenience with the Panasonic in that it plays almost everything except for SACD.
At some point I will upgrade my digital source player but I am uncertain of what direction/price point I might consider.

I haven’t heard super high end cd players but the PST holds its own in its price category. The magic is best mated with a PSA DAC with a good I2s cable. SACD’s sound really good.
With all that, and now not having that connection on my DAC, I will be selling the PST. An Axpona special. PM y’all if interested.

I can easily recomment the project RS2T. Superduper sound quality. Only the remote is crap.

2 Likes

My cousin modified the output stage on a Sony DVD player and gave it to me to play SACDs. Though it sounds better than my unmodified Pioneer playing SACDs I don’t think it sounds anywhere near as good as CDs sound when played through the MKll. There is so much more available on CD so I prefer them. If you sold the PST what would you use to play your CDs?

Not certain. Going to roam at Axpona.

3 Likes

Maybe look for a Sony 777 on the used market, if they have some of the Vacuum State mods, even better…

If money was of no concern, I would take a long, lustful look at the JMF

Best,
-JP
https://www.jmf-audio.com/dmt37

I say forget CD transports. Save up for a good high quality streamer/server. Mine beats the crap out of my PST, and you don’t have to get up to change discs. Go for the best DSD256 recordings and find out what digital is capable of. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Fair enough. I think DSD 256 is great, but I like to spin disk’s too.

4 Likes

The undeniable fact is just about everything is available on CD.

1 Like

Actually that’s why I keep my PST around, there’s just a lot of indesposible music I have on disc that I don’t have and get on files. Reguardless, the PST is a superlative machine.

2 Likes

Take a look at the Jay’s CDT line, there’s been a few different models over the years, it’s a great product and you see them used for decent prices. I2S out that works with the MK2.

2 Likes

Correct. The Jays is a fine machine but it does not play SACD.

1 Like

I’ve read rave reviews about it. Frankly, the display graphics (like the “no disc” one for example) seem to need a more modern look. It communicates a feeling of old/cheap which risks compromising the perception of this product.

Other competitors in that half chassis league probably are:

https://www.audioanalogue.com/en/products/aadrive

I was considering a downsize for my vinyl and CD chain, having a Mediterraneo TT I’m considering the PH-10 phono so as CD Transport I was looking at (to stay in the same look and Gold Note brand):

Using it as a transport, and 7 meters far from the DAC, it hasn’t a AES/EBU output so I’m not sure.

3 Likes

Luca, you should follow your mentor Al’s advice! Anything under $30k is very uninteresting :laughing:

3 Likes

I’m more than happy with my PST, no hurry to downsize to be honest, mainly because my 99% habits are streaming actually. Don’t worth the money, whatever the price. You and Vince… you two are the culprits!

2 Likes

I’m happy with my streamer, but that Grimm MU2 looks intriguing. I may go to the show in southern CA to listen to it the next time. Al said he is happy with the built-in pre, and he is talking about comparing to his Gryphon Commander I think!

3 Likes