How much or how many? A question of space and power

• BHK 300s, a pre with tubes, Raspberry Pi, a DAC or two on the 2-ch side.

• 5x200 watt “theater AMP”, surround processor, TV on the video side.

What are my options for power conditioning… and here’s the issue I’m running into with placement. I cannot, easily, put a PP15/29 in the middle between the electronics as there just isn’t room for it. So, I can put it on one side and run longish (8+ feet) power cables to the stuff on the other side (including 1 BHK300) or I can go with two PP, back to the same wall plate, and have shorter power cables back to the electronics but split between 2 smaller PPs.

Pros / Cons?
Or I can take the PP budget and go move my “theater” and furniture to another space to give my 2-ch system the isolation it deserves then try for power conditioning another day.

I’ve been hesitating posting this but Santa needs an answer. Thanks all!

If it were mine, I would have an electrician run 10/3 Romex and split a 2 gang box with 2 dedicated lines on 2 separate breakers on opposing legs on separate 5-15R’s. This will give you ample power to supply multiple PowerPlants. I would not, if it were me, load a single 15A 5-15R with multiple Powerplants. 10’ of power cable, as long as it is of sufficient gauge (because of voltage drop) should really pose no issue. Remember, it is the regenerated AC that is the important factor.

Correct me if I’m wrong but you seem to be concerned about power cable length.
If your cables are good quality, I wouldn’t worry about the lengths you describe.
And if the P15 can handle your current requirements, it’s an excellent product. But if you can afford the extra cash, I’d plug those BHK 300’s into a P20. And Santa gets the same hernia carrying it, P15 or P20.

1 Like

I like Ron’s recommendation. A P20 to feed the BHK 300s would do well. The 300s absolutely sing with a P20.

8+ feet for power cables is OK. Shorter would be better, but it’s to feed the HT kit, the slightly longer cables shouldn’t be an issue. I would want to make sure they have decent shielding.

Just be mindful for instance, one of the worst noise offenders is 60 Hz power (50 Hz for much of the world). There is no shield of any kind that we can apply to a cable that has any effect on that low frequency. Even a solid steel conduit, perfectly installed, is only around 30 dB of noise rejection at 60 Hz. (Courtesy of Belden Cable)