How To Optimize Digital Streaming With Optical Fiber

I had been impressed with the direct to active crossover esentation—very dynamic, but was still looking for better vocals. My Vinnie Rossi L2 Statement did not seem initially as transparent. I made some changes, including adding an AudioSensibility AC power cord to my VR. I tired it on the X1 but preferred Triode Wire one there while moving to the AR one on the preamp. The other Triode Wire Labs cable previously in use prior to addition of the AusioSensibility went to the active crossover. I had previously purchased AudioSensibility XLR cables and had used them direct to active crossover. Now I ran them from X1 to VR and used Triode Wire XLR from VR to active crossover. I had previously used 2 sets of Triode Wire Labs XLRs, one to active crossover and one from X1. These changes added more transparency for me than prior and the VR presentation with DHT tubes enhanced imaging while improving vocals, and I now prefer having it in the chain over going direct to active crossover. The other changes I later added were EVP feet to X1. I liked them and purchased more for under the X1 power supply and under my SonicTransporter i5 CDR server. I have also done an AudioSensibility DC cable for the Lumin power supply. I would advise letting your X1 system settle in before experimenting with add ons. The “burn in “ changes really are major and suggest getting much further into hours run before making changes.

I too questioned my purchase decision till over 200 hours, and then it surpassed my prior setup. For a bit I considered putting my VR up for sale and staying direct to active crossover, which I could indeed live with, but the vocals for me, imaging, more 3D feel and presence of the music seem superior to me with leaving the VR in the chain. You may have different experiences with your system and location.

Will

When you burned in X1, does it have to be playing music with the amp, or can I just leave it on with amp shut off?

Leave the amp off.

I did both. My understanding is you do not need to have the amps on.

You’re breaking in the Lumin not the amps so leave them off until your ready to listen especially if they are tubed or power hogs.

1 Like

Do you also have EVPs under your preamp and amp? Did they help?

I have EVP’s under the Lumin X1, X1 PSU, and under the SonicTransporter i5 CDR. The Vinnie Rossi L2 Signature Preamp comes with mounting platform with Stillpoints Ultra Mini isolation feet. I have various Herbie’s Iso-Cup system under my amps.

I am thinking of buying some vibration isolation for my Pass Labs amps (almost 100 pounds). Do you prefer Herbie’s Iso-Cup over EBVs?

I have not tested EVP’s under the amps. They are available in Light, Medium, and Heavy densities, in sizes of 2” to 4”. The website has a calculator for recommendations by weight. 100#’s call for 5 of the 2” Heavy or 3-5 of the 4” Heavy ones. All are available with Rubber or Felt top and bottom faces. I purchased Felt types. There is a 30 day grace period for return.

My amps are not as heavy, but with 4-way active speakers, I have 8-channels of amplification. I had gone with the Iso-Cups with Black balls with Iso-Cups on top of a metal with isolation layer under them. The systems sit on granite slabs with Herbie’s spiking system under on carpet. I have had for several years. I experimented with two of the 2-channel amps feeding bass modules and lower mid drivers before getting more. My impressions at the time was the Iso-Cup system improved bass definition perception. One caution however—the amps can be moved by rolling on the balls. I had treated with blue tacking material to give more grip. The material can transfer to the bottom of the amp and some marking from pressure of the round balls and this material can transfer.

I have not tested the Daedalus DID’s under any of the amps to date.