How to play ISOs and DSD on Foobar

Ted Smith helped out by putting together one of our How To’s on Foobar. Foobar is a Windows only program that is a powerful free media player. Its interface isn’t all that great, it’s fairly crude, but get over that issue and it’s an amazingly powerful program.

Here’s a link to the How To article on playing ISO files (extracted SACD files) and DSD files directly.

Hello Paul,

I am a proud owner of DSD DAC + bridge. The sound is unbelieveble great.

But is there possible to playback the iso, DSD files via Foobar2000, but directly to the Bridge now (not to USB and so on) ? I dont know, what to put to the Proxy ASIO box, when it is asking for a driver…

Thanks for the reply.

Milan

Milan, I have the exact same question. I also am having some very basic problems even getting my Library to show up in my Android app. Take a look

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/latest-ps-audio-news/need-help-setting-up-foobar-for-bridge/

This has been addressed numerous times. The answer is basically that you cannot use foobar to stream DSD to the Bridge. For more details, see http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/foo_input_sacd-0-7-1-and-foobar2000/ and particularly Ted’s post #19.

Thanks a lot for this info. You know, I have it only since last week, so I havent caught to read everything… :-)

But is it a case, that the right plugin module (reading DSD and sending it to the bridge over the network) for Foobar was not written yet, or is the problem in the Bridge itself? You know, my PC is 25 m far from the DAC, so USB is out of play.

Thanks for the answer or reaction.

Milan Vitovsky

mvitovsky said But is it a case, that the right plugin module (reading DSD and sending it to the bridge over the network) for Foobar was not written yet, or is the problem in the Bridge itself? You know, my PC is 25 m far from the DAC, so USB is out of play
The Bridge does not actually know how to handle DSD. But it handles DSD files just fine when they are transmitted via DoP, passing them along to the DS dac which can play them. I don't think there is (yet) any facility in Foobar to play DSD via DoP. I suggest using a different player, such as MinimServer, that will do this. I play DSD files this way via the Bridge and they sound excellent. (Note: this applies only to single-rate DSD; the Bridge can't handle double-rate, even via DoP.)

Milan,

Like minim server, JRiver can send DSD using DOP to the Bridge so that is certainly possible. However, my vague sense is that the foo_out plug-in sends the data in a different format than UPnP servers typically do, which may complicate things. I don’t know if there is a simple way that someone knowledgeable (like the guy who created foobar or foo_out or the SACD component) could combine all the required elements.

You most certainly can play DSD through foobar2000. I know that Ted has posted how to on this forum several times. I don’t have links to his posts at the moment but I can try to find them… Now if only I could do cut and paste in this forum when using my Android tablet as I often do and am now… :slight_smile:

Oh, wait… There are links to do exactly that in the first post in this thread!

J.P.

Yes, you can use foobar2000 to play DSD files. But not to the Bridge. To quote Ted from the post I reference above (#4): “No sane approach is going let foobar2000 stream DSD (DoP or not) to the bridge (or other DLNA device). The only support that I know of in foobar2000 for DoP is in the external sacd asio proxy, which means, … well, … you have to be sending thru ASIO.”

You got me, I somehow managed to miss that point. /

J.P.

Easy to do. This stuff still gives me headaches.