How to stream content to the DS over local network?

Frode said Something along these lines:

…etc etc

It doesn’t work on my DS. When I change the IP of the Bridge from DHCP to static, when the DS reboots the static IP is not sticking, it reverts to 0.0.0.0

rogerdn said What is IIRC ?
If I Recall (or Remember) Correctly
Try doing a Bridge reset, available on the screen for a short time during boot. Once reset then try assigning a static IP address.

Are you setting the static IP address from the front panel screen or from the Bridge webpage? Do tryboth, if one method does not stick the other should. Personally, I have found changing Bridge settings easiest and most reliable from the Bridge webpage, accessible by entering the Bridge IP address into your favorite browser attached to the same network as the Bridge.

J.P.

stevem2 said
rogerdn said What is IIRC ?

If I Recall (or Remember) Correctly

Oh, well mine does at least 192/24.

I think the optical out on the Express may be limited to 16/24. I assume you’re connecting the Express to the Bridge via internet? I’ve never used one for this purpose (I just run wires all over the place).

stevem2 said I think the optical out on the Express may be limited to 16/24. I assume you're connecting the Express to the Bridge via internet? I've never used one for this purpose (I just run wires all over the place).
Correct.

I meant “ethernet” rather than “internet” but it looks like you figured that out.

Yes

wingsounds13 said

Try doing a Bridge reset, available on the screen for a short time during boot. Once reset then try assigning a static IP address.

Didn't work. I did the bridge reset, the DS initialised, I entered static IP settings, front power button off, back power switch toggle off/on. DS starts but network settings revert to 0.0.0.0

Have you disconnected the network cable during reboot?

Frode said Have you disconnected the network cable during reboot?
Yep, already....it just doesn't work...or rather, I just can't get it to work. When you change network settings via DS touchscreen is there are "save" button somewhere, or should changes just "stick"

To me it seems that something goes wrong when manually entering the static IP address.

I reckon you still get an IP address provided by the DHCP server (i.e. your router) to stick when set to DHCP.

Which IP address do you punch in?

Frode said To me it seems that something goes wrong when manually entering the static IP address.

I reckon you get an IP address provided by the DHCP server (i.e. your router) to stick when set to DHCP.

When set to DHCP and connected to the Fortigate router it gets assigned an IP from within the dynamic IP range. The router holds a lease on this address so if the DS is rebooted it normally comes back up on the network with the same IP.

When I change to static IP, when the DS reboots it reverts to 0.0.0.0 i.e. the static IP I set previously does not “stick”.

Which (exactly) address is given by the router and which address do you attempt to punch in?

Setting static IP…DSC00242.JPG

After DS reboot all previous network settings are lost…DSC00243.JPG

Have you also set Primary DNS to 10.1.1.1?

Any particular reason for using the 10 series IP range that Apple normally uses?

Frode said Which (exactly) address is given by the router and which address do you attempt to punch in?
If DS set to DHCP and connected to the router it will get an IP within the reserved dynamic IP range (usually 10.1.1.42)

OK, so you are certain that 10.1.1.4 is not in use already?

Have you tried using 10.1.1.42?

You have not used mac-filtering in your router?

Frode said Have you also set Primary DNS to 10.1.1.1?

Any particular reason for using the 10 series IP range that Apple normally uses?

There is no DNS server available. All I’m doing is connecting 2 devices together with static IP on the same subnet.

10 series IP range is no issue. The 10 range had its genesis when I started to build my local network around a D-Link router (which has default IP 10.1.1.1). Since then I have migrated over to Enterprise class Fortigate and just kept all my LAN clients on 10 (I have 50+ network clients on my home network).