I2S Streamers - Continued

I have the X50 (not the D - the D version just has a few inputs - unknown if internals are the same) and I can confirm the I2S from the X50 to a SGCD does not work. I’ve ordered an adapter from eBay - we’ll see if that’ll make them play together nicely. Did you find out if the X50D was plug & play? (plug & pray… :laughing:)
Just stand back & throw money at it…

I have the same PI2AES HAT going to a Topping DX7 Pro but the I2S uses the Gustard pinout which apparently swaps the the left and right channel when connected to a PS DAC. The link is about a new HAT with the PS DAC I2S pinout.

1 Like

My friend received the X50D and it worked with his DSj no problem at all.
He is loving the unit, he uses a Wireworld HDMI cable to connect. He purchased
two 2TB SSD drive for the X50D as it doesn’t come with hard drives. Plug and Play.
Maybe the I2S HDMI arrangement is not the same between the SGCD and DSj/DSD.
My friend emailed Cocktail prior to buying the X50D to confirmed the I2S compatibility.

1 Like

yeah, oops, noticed that after I posted.

I was so glad to be able to use my nice beefy HDMI cable for this. I originally bought the cable to go from my Matrix X-SPDIF 2 to the D70, but the Matrix I2S won’t work with the D70 because of that pin configuration.

Does anyone know if this new HAT on a Pi will support DSD128 to the DS DAC?

Sorry, I do not have any info other than what is posted in the link but PI 2 Design has a contact page for questions.

If the PI2AES with the new PS Audio compatible I2S module supported DSD128 or DSD256 and could run as an HQPlayer NAA, I would buy it in a heartbeat and probably sell my ultraRendu and Matrix SDIF 2 along with their Teddy Pardo power supplies.

Alas, I doubt the I2S module supports anything more than DSD64.

IHi Orosie… I too have the Danafrips GAIA and hav problem converting USB signal to the PSAudio I2S … can you be kind to share how to go about doing this set up?..TQVM in advance

Drop in a Matrix SPDIF2. That’s exactly what it does.

1 Like

I also read…elsewhere in these very forums…Denafrips (in my case, I’m looking at the Iris) to PSA 12S (Stellar Gain) didn’t work?

Sonore Ultradigital will convert Sonore rendus and Aurenders. Aurender being the surprise until I tested it.

If the Sonore works also, then the question is. which sounds better? The Matrix or the Sonore? Has anyone compared the two?

I haven’t tried the Matrix, but it has more output options than the Sonore Ultradigital, which is USB input and splits output to I2s and SPDIF. The Matrix also offers AES/EBU and toslink outputs.

The Matrix is doing such a good job that I haven’t even consider other options. But I’m open to suggestions if there is something that sounds better and it don’t cost like the price of a car.

1 Like

So…I’m still looking for a definitive answer here. Don’t want to buy a piece of kit, if it knowingly doesn’t work.

Will Denafrips IRIS convert, to I2S…and be read by SGD? Need a special pinned-out cable?

Yes…I’m open to the Matrix X-SPDIF 2; just want to know my options.

Thanks

You need to contact Alvin at Vinshine as he will know the answer. Usually responds quickly.

Just FYI this is what he told another member in September.

“I contacted denafrips asking for the compatibility of the iris output through i2s and ps audio DirectStream and they confirmed that they are not compatible.”

The SGCD uses the same I2S standard so I would suspect it would not.

Possibly a dumb question but I’m curious about getting a better input signal than through the Bridge. I understand that I2S provides the best signal with the highest DSD levels and this thread provides some useful details on this approach and relevant streamers. I understand that USB is also more capable than an Ethernet connection. Has anybody tried the Roon Nucleus as a source using USB. I don’t believe the Nucleus has an I2S capability but does have USB. Any body have any thoughts or comments!

Yes, but adding the Matrix between the Nucleus and DSS going from USB to i2s made a significant improvement

3 Likes

Not a dumb question at all. I have a Nucleus (without a Bridge) connected to a Matrix X SPDIF 2 via USB which in turn is connected to my DSD Sr. with an i2S cable and I couldn’t be happier with the result.

3 Likes

I have the same setup and I’m pleased with the results. Albeit I’m using a Siltech USB and a Crystal HDMI for I2S duties. Great cables for this application.

1 Like