I2S Streamers - Continued

I’m considering the sonicTransporter I9 optical and opticalRendu feeding the signal to a Sonore ultradigital to get I2S output. Anyone else try the systemOptique products? Sonore ultraDigital?

I am also looking at the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 instead of the ultraDigital as the Matrix can do DSD512 while the Sonore is “limited” to DSD256. Thoughts on if this limitation has any real world consequences?

I went with a N-AKUSTIK High Speed Reference USB and a REL Prophecy CryoSilver Reference i2S cable.

Companies need to start shortening their model numbers. :grin:

1 Like

Many thanks for the responses….I will look into these options.

For some reason I am unable to start a new thread topic?? So I will tag this thread instead:

Anyone using a Sonore Ultra Rendu with their DSDsr?

This device is said to interface via PS Audio’s i2s input, but looking at pics of the device on Sonore’s website I don’t see an HDMI output . . . . . So how does it interface?

Also, this device is an ‘endpoint’ that requires a third-party server (similar to the Bridge II). Sonically, is the Rendu a better endpoint than the Bridge II? I see that the Rendu does support quad DSD and up to 705.6 kHz - something the Bridge II does not provide.

Any thoughts or other recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

_Ben

Hi Ben,

I think you are on point with your observations. The ultraRendu (uR) is a network endpoint. You need a device to stream to it. I personally use Roon.

The output of the uR is USB, there is no I2S. You’ll need yet another device to go from USB to I2S. Sonore makes the ultraDigital to handle that conversion. Why they don’t make a network endpoint that has both USB and I2S out is a mystery many have pondered. There are a number of other companies that will convert USB to I2S, Matrix, Kitsune, and Singxer come to mind, but there are more. I am using a Kitsune KTE SU-2. It’s quite good. There are a few companies who do make ethernet to I2S. I looked at a few in the past, they were a bit on the expensive side if I recall. $2-$3K.

Is the I2S better than the Bridge II (BII) - Oh boy, this is one of those questions that’s been hotly debated here on the forum and I won’t try to rehash this subject. However, with Sunlight, you do get quad rate DSD vs single rate DSD through the BII. DSD 1X through 4X can be quite good. If you are strictly a streamer and aren’t interested in the added expensive of purchasing DSD, I think you’ll find the BII a very good option and you’ll have less cables, less little boxes, and less power supplies.

I hope this helps,
Vince

3 Likes

Thank you, Vince, for the nicely detailed response . . . . . . Much appreciated!

What prompted me to explore more options is an “itch” to eliminate my PC from the equation, which began sometime after reading about all the – purportedly – unwanted side effects/byproducts a computer contributes (I tend to get sucked in . . . .). At first I thought the uR was an all-inclusive package. I realize now that it is an endpoint similar to the BII. Personally, I enjoy the BII through my PC-based server (JRiver), but I would also like to take advantage of the DSD’s higher resolution, and ditching the PC is appealing.

Cheers to your prosperity and wellbeing friend

_Ben

vkennedy61 via PS Audio psaudio@discoursemail.com

2 Likes

I am using Sonore’s Signature Rendu as my optically fed Roon endpoint and then into my DS via I2S via Sonore Ultradigital. Extremely satisfied with the improvement over the BII. I did need to change the dip switches inside the Ultradigital, the factory default setting is for PS Audio dacs but the L and R channels were swapped as was phase on DSD tracks only, PCM was just fine. Turning off switch 6 and 8, leaving 7 on fixed the issue… others have reported similar experiences in the ps audio forum and Jesus at Sonore was very helpful in getting me sorted… Now under Sunlight I stream quad rate DSD with remarkable impact, there are other I2S bridges, but I have no regrets with my selection… best of luck…

2 Likes

Thanks argoncat.

Do you know if the Sonre products are compatible w/JRiver? Also, are you using an aftermarket power supple for your Ultradigital?

The Sonora ultraDigital is the one to go from usb to i2s. They no longer have a single unit that goes from Ethernet to i2s.

Any opinions on what sounds better between interfacing the Rendu via the DSDsr USB input compared to the i2s input? Is it a negligible or noticeable difference?

Yes the sonore products work great with JRiver. Using it as I type. They have a simple web interface and you can easily switch between DLNA (JRiver) and RAAT (Roon). The web interface is accessible from any device on your network by typing in the sonore IP (I use fixed IPs so I assign an icon on all my win and iOS devices). BTW, I have an opticalRendu…it just works! No fuss.

Ultradigital also feeds SPDIF BNC in addition to I2s over HDMI. Functionally its a splitter.

I have two of them. One is used with a microRendu, and to my surprise, the other one works with my Aurender A10.

In my system Rendu into Matrix via usb and then Matrix into DSD Snr via i2S smashes usb only but I don’t know how much of the SQ improvements are due to the i2S or the Matrix.

1 Like

I just installed an opticalRendu, ultraDigital and the opticalModule DX (man, I truly dislike their naming system!). But other than the names, they are excellent. I ordered the upgraded LPS for the oR and uD, so those took an extra week and a half to come in. In the meantime, I powered the oM DX and oR with the cheaper Chinese model LPS since it had two outputs. But it got hot (oR) after a few days, so I shut it down until the better LPS’s arrived. While it was on for the two days, I was able to listen to the USB output. And it was significantly better than the Bridge. Like I can never, ever listen to the Bridge again - that significant. Last Friday Night the good US-made LPS’s arrived and it took things up a few more notches - although not as significant as Sonore USB vs Bridge. At least with streaming Qobuz. Home network files are another matter. One thing I really love is (finally!) seeing true DSD input instead of DoP. We can argue all we want about the transparency of the DoP conversion but my SACD rips have never sounded better. How much is due to i2s vs the quality LPS’s I’ll never know. But I am very pleased with the results.

3 Likes

That is my setup. Both excellent choices j

2 Likes

Thanks, but I should have said RAL rather than REL. I must have been thinking about subs. :wink:

1 Like

All good information . . . . . I have learned a lot from this forum’s members.
I can’t recall if PS Audio is planning to develop other product options in their forthcoming Octave “line,” or if the plan is to develop one product in a one-box comprehensive solution . . . . . . I would be (very) interested if they might include a streaming endpoint - similar to the Rendu products - at a lesser price point than the main Octave server system. A PS Audio endpoint would undoubtedly include a direct i2s interface that wouldn’t require all the additional converters/adaptors.

1 Like

I wish the Perfect Wave SACD Transport also acted as a streamer (Roon endpoint). That would make it a no-brained purchase! I just don’t play CDs enough to justify buying a transport. I play ripped CDs from my NAS or stream from Qobuz. I’m going to need a streamer for the DSD Mk II, but PS Audio doesn’t have a product for that.

3 Likes

PS Audio is working on a new product called Octave Streamer. No official release date yet though.

1 Like

Good to know. I’m guessing it won’t come out soon enough to help with the upgrade to the MK II. They’ve been talking about it for over two years and it will likely come out later this year. I’d hate to guess on the timeframe for something they’re not even talking about.