If you're going to stack PSA products, isolate in between them

Went the IsoAcoustics way too (between the DSjr and the DMP). Works a treat and the Morrisons are real nice people to deal with. Will incorporate some more.

I like the PSA PowerBases (no longer in production) under my DMP and DS Sr.

I have the silver DAC sitting directly on a matching PowerBase and the black DMP sitting on a matching Power Base. These pairs are on separate shelves (not stacked on top of each other).

Since the DMP and its PowerBase are on the top shelf of the rack and I figure disc spinners are more likely to benefit from some extra isolation, I elected to go ahead and place three IsoAcoustics Orea Indigo equipment idolaters under the DMP.

Canā€™t say I heard much of difference vs. having the DMP rest directly on the PowerBase, but I did not spend a lot of time comparing one configuration against the other.

For the IsoAcoustic Orea fans out there: I canā€™t see the Indigo logo because the puck is squished just enough to obscure the logo. Does this mean I should consider adding the fourth Orea to the mix or move up in the line, in terms of the ideal weight specification? The Indigoā€™s are rated at 16 pounds each, I believe (the DMP is specified as 31 pounds).

Thanks all.

I currently use HRS nimbus pucks under my sources. Iā€™m considering the HRS E1 Isolation base for my integrated. https://avisolation.com/isolation-bases/

Kinda expensive ā€¦OK, youā€™ve been warned.

Anyone else out their currently using or considering HRS products (audio stands,isolation bases,chassis noise reduction)?

I am a big HRS fan. Nimbus pucks are under each component with damping plates on top. Currently, I have a Stellar P3 stacked on top of my DSJrā€“pucks under each box and two damping plates on top of the P3. A while back, I attended a demonstration of these products by the owner/inventor using a reference level system at their dealer. First a listen without his products. Then a progressive addition of pucks and plates. There was a very noticeable improvement for each step. The big surprise was removing all the pucks and plates-except on the power conditioner. This was a major improvement on just this one component.

MarkH

2 Likes

Forgot to mention that when I separated the preamp from the DSD DAC with the footers, I also placed an ERS RFI blocking sheet on top of DAC, to further keep the two units from interfering with each other.

Recently added a pair of PSA M1200 mono amps to replace a BHK250. I have to stack them as thereā€™s not enough floor space to do it side by side without making the living space look too crowded with gear. Iā€™ve tried Stillpoints SS by themselves and combined with Golden Sound Pads. Definitely better low level detail and soundstage but the tonal balance shifts too much in favor the treble region. Iā€™ve tried one Stillpoints SS and two Boston Audio Tuneblocks under each amp. Better tonal balance, less emphasis on treble region but still maintains the good qualities. Then I installed IsoAcoustic Oreas, Bronze under the bottom amp on the stack and Indigo under the top amp. Better still. Completely balanced resolution increases across the tonal range and lower noise floor. The Stillpoints SS work fantastic under my speakers, PSA Stellar P3 regenerator, and Acoustic Signature turntable but they definitely werenā€™t as good under the M1200 amplifiers (Although they were fantastic under the BHK250.)

When I was a wee sprout I used hockey pucks between my gear. They are made from vulcanized rubber and do have a very slight amount of give. I donā€™t know if they helped sonically, but they did give the gear room to breathe.

@aangen before you ask, I do not know how they got Spock in the puck. Perhaps with a bass-o-matic.

2 Likes

I switched to all magnetic lifts so all my gear floats. Just like my shoes.

2 Likes

I was guilty of stacking my BHK Pre on top of my DS DAC with only some thin Herbieā€™s damping material between.

Last week I graduated to Iso-Acoustics mini pucks between the two and I added the 3M EMI absorber material in strategic locations in the DAC including a sheet on the underside of the top above the digital and analog boards. That, together with adding another Purple Fuse to the DS DAC at the same time means all is well in my worldā€¦

2 Likes