Impending retirement!

A few weeks ago I did something either very wise or very foolish - I announced I’ll be retiring at close of business on August 18. I turned in my resignation letters on June 16th, giving the governor’s office 60 days to find and appoint my replacement. I’d considered serving out the 16-month remainder of his current (and final) term, but I’ll turn 69 in August, and I don’t want to be working when I’m 70.

I’m looking forward to having more time to spend on all my leisure activities, including listening to music. Truth is, there are so many things I hope to be doing, I expect I’ll be busier than ever. That’s certainly been the case with my wife, who’s already been retired for 4 years.

Good thing I’m happy with my current system, as income is going to drop precipitously. :wink:

37 Likes

yes, jobs are best in the rear view mirror

hobbies and reflections rule

3 Likes

I retired when I was 61 and 6 months old, almost 70 now. Recommend retiring as soon as one can.

8 Likes

working until 69 is a great accomplishment. Congratulations!

2 Likes

Congratulations Craig_Burgess!

I retired for the second time about 5 years ago at age 67. Should have done it earlier but the ops research in me pulled to a “knee in the curve” for 20 yr federal civil service. Tend to agree with the former Commissioner of Baseball Faye Vincent comment “The world of work is vastly overrated.”

Enjoy while you can. All too soon ‘She Who Must Be Obeyed’ will have her plans for you!

1 Like

Congratulations Craig! I look forward to seeing how much and what you are listening to!

1 Like

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement Craig…there is a point
in time and our lives to let go and enjoy what you have earned…

Best wishes

1 Like

Congratulation! Retirement (provided one has the financial security) is a wonderful thing. My wife and I highly recommend it. :blush:

1 Like

Funnily enough, I am doing exactly the same thing as you on exactly the same day, but I am exactly 10 years younger

1 Like

Congratulations!

I was fortunate to retire at 46. I highly recommend early retirement!

6 Likes

Congratulations!! I pulled the trigger at 56 years old after 31 years of service with Maricopa County. Pension wise, it would not have made much of a difference if I stayed any longer. As George Thorogood said, “Out the door I went.”

4 Likes

Congratulations!

I retired when I turned 61 and did not realize that I would get busier! But that was all on the good busy side, and none of those work headache! I lost a few lbs. too :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Congrats!
I am a recovering academic and I’ve been VERY happily retired for 6 years, and have never regretted one second of it. I’ll be 73 in a month and my time these 6 years has been all mine. I did love my job, and I was certain beyond any doubt that I’d be working until I was 80, like so many in the salt mine.

Retirement is the best thing ever.

6 Likes

I had a hard time for most of the first year. I loved my job. I loved having people come to me for opinions, advice, recommendations, comparisons, mentoring, direction. Analyzing project failures and successes was intense but very satisfying.
Then suddenly that stopped. The only questions I got were “you’re still here?” or “can you buy a baguette and wine”?
I spent a sh$$ton of money on hifi. And I walked a lot–still do.
But then I bought a piece of a company and I’m enjoying having a purpose again.
I’ve seen many friends become sedentary, gain weight, become less healthy.
Retirement should be well considered and enjoyed.

9 Likes

YES!

3 Likes

Cost estimator here. 11 years to go and I retire again at 65, should I make it that long. The sincere hope is I die in the job, thus earning my honey a little extra FEGLI money. Lol

4 Likes

I was born to retire. No problem replacing work with more enjoyable ways to spend the day. 20.5 years worth.

8 Likes

Take the retirement planning course more than once. I took it 3 times and each time I learned something new and valuable.

2 Likes

Roger, Roger.

Congratulations! Here’s to wishing you a very long and happy retirement.

5 Likes