Improving the sound in the living room

Hi all. Not sure where to post this, so feel free to move this thread.
I just moved into an apartment, and I have this rather odd roof. It isn’t flat, as you can see from the picutures.

The sound coming from my speakers sound great in the living room space. Much better than it was previously in my other house.

My question is, is there anything you see from the pictures provided, that I could do in my living room to even better the sound? Specifically talking about my roof. Since it’s a shed/slope styled roof shape.

How did you arrive at your final speaker locations? Trial and error? Or did you use a more objective methods such as Paul’s or Cardas’? I’d suspect speakers further away from the front wall would open up the sound stage; closing of the door on the right with heavy drapes would reduce early reflections. I think the roof line is a gift!

The speakers are 9.5cm away from the back wall. Isn’t that enough though?
I haven’t done any arrangements for the speakers that much. I simply placed them and angled them to the point I thought the sound sounds good from the listening position.

If I move the speakers further away from the wall, it could create a problem getting out of the door on the right. I may trip over them, or someone else might.

Without dimensions, suggestions will be a crap shoot.

1 Like

I first of all think you have a very live room with a lot of hard surfaces. I would first start with a small rug full width of the speakers to stop the floor bounce. I would also look at centering your system and TV in the middle of the back wall, keeping it out like you have it. I would also work on the toe in of the bookshelf speakers by someone else while you are listening. It would really depend upon how the horizontal axis of the tweeters is playing. The hard surfaces behind you may also cause you some problems and you may need some absorbing/diffusers on the back wall. I would think the room is very lively.

1 Like

My living room ceiling is sloped so it deflect all the sound reflection to an open area on the side. So my system sounded great too.

I do not think you need to put any room treatment on top either since most of the sound does not bounce to the floor either. Parallel ceiling and floor create most problem.

The front wall behind the speakers will definitely benefit from room treatment.

For casual listening your current set up would undoubtably work out fine. For more serious listening I would suggest that you consider finding the optimal seating position and speaker placement positions using the methods espoused by Jim Smith or Paul McGowan. Mark the positions on the floor or record them somewhere. Using a laser measuring device comes in handy for this. When you are done move the chair and speakers out of the way of traffic.
My only other suggestion would be not have a large reflective table in front of your listening seat.
I agree with Jim T regarding centering and dealing with the reflective surfaces in the room as pictured.
Have fun!

Is it possible to put the speakers on the other side of the room, turn the whole arrangement around 180 degrees? There are some advantages to a sloping ceiling but ideally the speakers should be on the end where the ceiling is low and you should be toward the taller side. The slope will push sound forward, away from the speakers and allow it to die out as reverberation in the back of the room if you turn it around. If that arrangement is at all feasible it’s worth a try.

Hi I have my speaker on the short axis and the back wall goes up 4 ft then slopes upward into the room. Speakers are 6ft away from the back wall. This caused the sound to come from the floor like you were in the top row of an opera hall. I had to put diffusers on the forward slanting wall and this put the sound stage back in normal perspective. Just sharing my experience with the forward slanting wall.
Regards

Yes, this is possible. Although I’m not too sure if I’m going to do that.
I will have to make a balance between a logical living room environment or turning a living room into a listening room. It’s not hard to make a 180 degree. Something I could give a try for sure.

2 Likes