Initial thoughts - my dear old Proceed PDT3 and the PWT

@oddeophile I’m very impressed with the cobras so far. But alpha’s are “the bomb” according to my Shunyata dealer- otherwise known as “the candyman”. Interestingly, this is another argument for a dedicated audiophile server… Mains power control. The second alpha PC will feed my sonore linear power supply and then into my W4S server. It is much harder to control the power to a non-dedicated music server. The ultimate is the Aurender W20… Sequentially charging/discharging battery power.

tony22 said: Yes, I agree. The only downside is that the PWT is not dead silent like one of these old dedicated CD transports. The nature of the CD/DVD mechanism from what I've read in other threads.

I am always surprised that manufacturers go to such great lengths to get rid of electronic noise and distortion . . . but then sell a product that makes mechanical noise. I sold a conrad-johnson amplifier (decades ago) because its power xfmr made an audible mechanical hum, and c-j couldn't make it quiet. I had to get rid of a power conditioner for the same reason. I also remember returning an expensive DVD player, which was humming away merrily when I was trying to listen to opera. If I were king of the universe, audio components would be entirely free of mechanical noise!

Well, there is an update that I was going to post in my other PWT thread, but since you touched on it here, mike48 :slight_smile: , this PWT that I got I’m starting to believe really was as little used as the seller said. It is making less noise now after it’s been running in my house for 50+ hours. The slight regular clicking it was making as it plays CDs is all but gone. The motor noise sounds smoother and more even. It’s still not dead silent (and never will be), but I don’t hear anything “odd” as much coming out of it compared to other DVD-ROM drives that I’ve used. I’m assuming that with additional time whatever is left will finish smoothing itself out.

But yes, I agree that for something that challenges transports many times its price something could have been done to help dampen the noise. As the design is based on a DVD-ROM drive, I can see why maybe PS Audio would not have wanted to get one custom made - the cost would have skyrocketed. So they picked a drive they liked; some internal chassis or even drive dampening might have yielded benefits.

I am delighted to hear the drive noise is diminishing. It never occurred to me it might get quieter with use.

I plan to experiment with some dampening sheets.

Thanks Elk - it’s better for sure, but it’s not gone! 8->

Update: my wonderful audiophile friend came down from New York - on the day of the NY Marathon! - to listen to my system. He got an extra early start just to be sure not to get caught in the marathon craziness. Thank goodness this was “fall back” clock adjusting day, because it helped as I got up before the crack of dawn to turn on my system and give it time to cook.

After a nice breakfast that my wife was kind enough to prepare, we sat down with his music to first listen to my PDT3, then the PWT, and then with his vinyl with my TT setup. I told you he got here early! :open_mouth: Fellow PS Audio owners, the improvement the PWT brought to my system over my old transport was as clear to his skilled ears as it was to me. Tune after tune was enjoyed and commented on with regard to soundstaging, smoothness, clarity, and extension. My PDT3 didn’t embarrass itself at all, but it was happy to pass itself along into the sunshine as my now former transport.

We munched on homemade pizza for lunch, and made sure all his tunes were accounted for before his departure.

The vinyl, BTW, was better than either transport! Damn Fremer :-))

Great report!

Is the drive continuing to quiet down?

Yes, a bit. I’m not sure it’s going to go much further, but the comparison to when I first got it shows it has gotten quieter.