Interesting Articles

Some folks are like red wine…
they’ll age well and mature with time,
others just become vinegar.

5 Likes

Frequency Therapeutics is a spin-off from MIT:

4 Likes

Quite an interesting methodology and approach. The article made no mention of tinnitus and if they would be able to target the brain with this technique. Still, an amazing pathway to possibly ameliorating hearing loss and all the ancillary problems that develop as a result of it.
Thanks for posting.

1 Like

“study drug is given by an injection through your eardrum into the middle ear…”

Nope…

Seriously though I hope they make some progress.
Meantime trying to prevent future damage for everyone by working / voting / advocating for less noise pollution in daily life would be good :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It is now a long time ago, and I’ve posted it here before, but there is a process of listening to very quiet (listened to at much lower than normal volume, so that you almost “strain” to hear), very minimally arranged classical pieces on headphones. The tracks go from full BW at the beginning of each track (15m total, IIRC), to very BW limited in the middle 5m, and back to full BW at the end of each piece.

The idea being that listening with focused attention, carefully at low volumes, you can retrain your hearing. The Listening Program. No idea if it suceeded in the long run.

The original aim was to retrain the ears of performing musicians and audio professionals whose hearing was affected by ongoing exposure to loud sound, including opera singers performing onstage regularly next to other opera singers who had gone nearly deaf in one ear or the other as a result. The human voice is capable of amazing volume at close range.

I had an injection in my eye once. It was that or risk severe vision loss. I was freaked out about it. It turned out to be a surprisingly simple and painless procedure.

1 Like

This reminds me of Renée Fleming recording her rock album (yes, it works).

She notes:

“Most of the singing on this disc is easier than speech. I just whispered into this enormous mic in the booth; the technology did the rest. I got incredibly frustrated because I wasn’t using my whole body. With classical singing you have to put out so much air – you project, you emit force. We add timbre to the text, we colour it by using vibrato, and in the end the words just become abstract sound. Here there’s none of that.”

2 Likes

Somewhere along the line, not sure if it was this reference or another, I saw a big push me button to, I assumed, volunteer as a study lab rat. It was tempting and didn’t come off as too much snake oil.

8 Likes

What a beast.

5 Likes

Wow. Just wow.
What an experience it would be to hear a pair of those beasts. I do have a set of Magico M2’s on my short list of try before you die speakers. No way could I afford these M9’s or have the room to fit them in.

2 Likes

Wowie Zowie, and at a price of $750,000 I can order a set for each home, and maybe a pair on hold for my brother should he decide he wants them. :wink:

2 Likes

You could put a pair of them in the back of a 3/4 ton pickup truck and cruise the beach being extremely obnoxious.

2 Likes

We have plan to do just that, but cruising the town square, where the community orchestra plays in the band shell on summer Friday evenings. Ernie, a local farmer, has offered up his hay wagon and Minneapolis Moline tractor to pull the rig. Our friend Emil is attempting to have a 1500 foot AQ Dragon power cord delivered just in time for the event. Jerry has offered Hoe Down from Oliver Nelson’s Blues and Abstract Truth, his personal NM- vinyl copy stashed away between copies of the News Gazette and National Geographics.

Personally, my vote is for Henry’s Oliver as it is more suited to the task IMHO.

3 Likes

Minnie Moe. One of my favorite tractor company names.
Instead of a long power cord lets put a 10kw Onan generator on the hay wagon. It would be a lot cheaper than the long cord and also be the perfect (re)generator.

A good friend had an Oliver Row Crop 77 that he built an underbelly road grading blade for. He used it to grade the two track sand road that was an extension of a county road but they refused to take care of it as it was a mile long and only had two houses at the end. That was way back in the day. Maybe 1975 or so.

1 Like

But with the Onan option we loose the advantages of the Dragon, unless we get “Stealthy”. That and the fact that I am in Kohler Country.
BTW, we have Minnie Moe and Oliver rebuilders and restorers in the county.

Locally Olivers are tractor pull faves.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Is this to drown out the community orchestra? :wink:

1 Like

Afraid of a bit of competition? They’d probably enjoy it as well, being fans of Oliver Nelson, or is it Oliver tractors. I’m confused.

1 Like

Not me. I play banjo and brass. :wink:

2 Likes