Is ASR now a full on cult? Reddit user posts ASR approved system

.01%

If you just listen the numbers dont really matter. :sunglasses:
The BACCH thingie will be another addition for me and I’m sure there’s no way to measure it’s effects but they certainly dont matter either.

What a fun hobby. Especially if you dont have any measuring devices.

6 Likes

Hey I use an SPL meter for my HT system. Ive found it helpful!

Actually I also used REW to tune my subs for a flatter response in my room.

Dramatic improvement in SQ without crazy bass peaks… that’s data interpreted and applied correctly IMO

It does seem to be the Cult of Cheap, although some of the ChiFi they actively promote is not that cheap anymore and the likes of iFi are doing better things.

The main problem with the cheaper ChiFi they worship is the lack of software, whereas more expensive products with great software are coming from that part of the world (Rose, Auralic). ASR types obviously don’t like paying for that.

What I find odd is that ASR purchased an incredibly expensive piece of kit for testing speakers, and it would be good to see it used, but there is zero trust with most consumer speaker manufacturers and members don’t send them in, so no tests get done. @Chris_Brunhaver engaged with them, very constructively, but nothing came of it.

We are all members of cults, some good, some bad. Where ASR go wrong is thinking they can cure audiophiles. Heaven forbid, life would be dull.

I think the guy seeking ASR approval (who takes the ASR cult with a pinch of salt), who has very limited funds, has a really nice system. Mitchell Orbe, Phasemotion pre, March amps, all good stuff, what could possibly go wrong? My next cartridge will be a Phasemotion PP-200.

4 Likes

those must be some pretty smart bunnies then.

2 Likes

At least they seem happy with their choices.

Ok, inquiring (and stupid) minds want to know: what is ASR?

If I had my druthers, we would not facilitate “clicks” for the host of the mob over there (with a few exceptions I think “mob” is an accurate portrayal) by talking about the site here.

That said, this is an open forum so post away. But for me, this is my first and last post on this thread.

Cheers.

ASR is an idiot with an expensive test analyzer he uses to debunk high priced gear since it often doesn’t measure as well the cheap gear they review. Their favorite term is “snake oil,” - because almost everything to them is, and posters there have said things to the effect Paul is doing something criminal.

The site’s owner has measured incorrectly on a few occasions - including the power plant, which may not have been fully their fault, since it wasn’t outlined in the directions which outlet was which. But instead of checking with the manufacturer when they ran into issues replicating measurements, they just publish their non-scientific review and make half assed attempts to later clean up.

Their dirty little secret (not sure how secret) is that the owner also imports cheap gear and sells in North America.

3 Likes

Can you buy a Topping DAC from Amir?

You do realize that A S R is like Beetlejuice. If you say it three times, they will appear. I say stop while we are ahead.

10 Likes

Did you mean Beetlejuice the film, Beetlejuice the supposedly disappointing Broadway musical, or Beetlejuice the celestial body?

Oh wait I typed it 3 times… now I’m a little nervous Micheal Keaton might show up on my doorstep, and not the Birdman Michael Keaton!

3 Likes

Elk please stop the maddness. any talk about that place makes my skin crawl

3 Likes

lol don’t be like them. they called on the admin to stop my discussions too. They were quite tame except I pointed out that I disagreed with their leader. Let people click all over their site and come to their own conclusions. I did.

2 Likes

I am actually enjoying this discussion even though ASR makes me angry.

2 Likes

The last thing I purchased was a tonearm. I had a look at ASR and there is not a single review of a tonearm, turntable or cartridge, but there are 40 reviews of photo stages.

People complain about audio by measurements, which until about 40 years ago prevailed over subjective listening tests because audible noise was a big issue. The tonearm conundrum is that if you can’t measure it, it ceases to exist.

ASR measured the PSA Stellar Phono and actually recommended it. Who would have thought that? A criminal making something worthwhile.

I don’t wonder…for a tonearm review they definitely would have to listen in a suitable environment and be able to sonically differentiate, there’s little to measure, except with extensive effort in the micro mechanical field.

I don’t criminalize people caring about them or am angry about ASR’s publicity…I just scratch my head why something like ASR can have serious attention in this form…but so I do about many politicians’ success etc., so it’s just the usual thing.

Actually, the star’s name is Betelgeuse but hey, close enough.

1 Like

It’s the patronising nature of ASR that sets it out from the crowd, as there are many other audio forums for digital, vintage, etc. that serve a purpose but are completely harmless. I think head-fi.org is about the most popular audio forum on the net, understandable given it covers the most popular form of listening and is very comprehensive.

As with politicians, I can stand most of them, even if I don’t agree with them, but when they get patronising they become unbearable. I graduated from the London School of Economics and Political Science, it was very political and the Director was previously the German Foreign Security and an EU Commissioner. We had all sorts of speakers and debates from the Left and Right, everyone got to say their piece. The most memorable one was Shirley Williams, a totally harmless Liberal, she got patronising and condescending, it almost turned violent and she had to make a quick exit. The problem with such people like that is that they are often well-meaning and think they are doing good, without realising they are incredibly annoying. Shirley Williams tried to “change the mould of British politics”, as they said at the time. It was briefly popular and then fell flat on its face.

Stereophile and HFN&RR measure lots of stuff, but are heavily biased by their commercial interests. I rather like GoldenSound, who I think joined forces with someone else.

I very much like the reviews in the-ear.net, wide European coverage, there are good people there and they are brief and to the point, regrettably they never measure anything.

At the end of the day, I suspect most of us gravitate towards talking shops that share our own interests.

Yeah, that ASR forum is slap full of nothing but morons, including their leader.