Is buying a used Perfectwave Transport a good idea?

Is buying a used Perfectwave Transport a good idea? I found one for sale for around $1200 though I will offer less. The only thing I don’t like about it is its black and not silver. Any thoughts?

Thanks Ed

I sold one a couple of years old and received $1600. $1200 is a fair price. You could trade something in (up to $600 in credit) and get a refurb from PS Audio. Refurb price is $2k with a one year warranty.

Disc spinners are useful, but I’d suggest ripping and going with computer file music.

It is still a great product and one we continue to support.

I do have a huge music collection on a dedicated computer and it is what I listen to 95% of the time. But I still have thousands of CD’s that are really not even worth getting rid of. I would like to have a quality transport for a at least occasional use. I don’t actually have any CD player’ other than my computer, right now.

Thanks for your reply netspecht-2

Any chance I could swap the black face plate for a silver? I’m kind of anal about my system looking as good as it sounds! Black would be ok but I do like silver equipment better. By the way why is the US the only market that has black as the only choice … at least for mass market stuff … just saying.

I would buy a new/refurbished but as a “beer budget”, retiree audiophile I have to get the most bang for my audio buck.

Thanks for your reply Paul and I love your daily email/blog. I read it every morning with my first coffee!

You would actually need more than the faceplate. You need 4 corners and side plates too. PSA helped me with a damaged side plate but no corners are available.

The appeal of disc spinning alludes me, whether PWT or whatever else. I just don’t see or hear any advantage of a disc spinner over networked server playback. I’d like to know, what do you hope to gain for $1,200 over what you currently have?

Good point watchdog.

As stated above Brodric, just to have the option in the future.

Some people do like the tactile experience of loading a disc, pressing a button and seeing the mechanical wonder of the tray close. I do understand that. Unfortunately my disc spinner was a temperamental DMP, and sometimes it decides whether the tray opens, closes, plays, or stops. It doesn’t always listen to me, so I stopped listening to it. Just waiting on the long promised spaghetti free software that might change my opinion.

Most computers add a lot of hash and noise to the process of playback that are a bit of a pain to circumvent, plus network traffic isn’t always isochronous in nature; retransmits and such can occur at any time for a variety of reasons.

These aren’t issues with disc playback in the same way, though obviously error correction can occur there as well.