Is DSJnr an NAA compliant player?

Hi All,

I’ve done a search on this but can’t seem to find an up to date definitive answer.

The reason I’m asking as I’m looking to go down the music server road (how long until Octave??) to run Roon rock o/s & to store my music & I’m looking to buy a server with bridged ethernet as the theory suggest this could lead to a clearer, cleaner SQ (can or worms now opened!).

I have read that I’d need to set up a static IP in the DSJnr but if the DSJ is RAA compliant now post all the Bridge s/w updates, do I still need to do this?

Any info on this would be warmly received.

Cheers
Matt

I think Paul recently said Octave late this year or early next.

I don’t understand your question about DSJ. You can use a QNAP or any NAS running a music server app like MinimServer and point it at the DSJ as the music renderer. If the NAS and DSJ are on the same subnet they will communicate with each other.

Hi Brodric,

Apologies, I’m not that computer techy…The server I’m looking at is like the i7 SonicTransporter in that in has two ethernet connections & what I mean by “bridging” is that I connect the server to my network (via a switch) & then direct to the Bridge II on the DSJ via the 2nd ethernet on the server.

This has been touted as a better way to connect to a ethernet based DAC but when I originally researched this, you needed to assign a static IP for the DSJ…I’m not sure whether you need to do this now but essentially what I need to know is that I can actually do this?

Cheers
Matt

The ‘set up a static IP’ thing should be done on your Roon core server device (as a DHCP server). It depends on the design of ROCK OS.

Says who?

I read it on CA & on stereonet Australia & then watched a Youtube video about the i7 SonicTransporter which features bridged ethernet.

If you saw it on the internet it must be true. I just connect to a NAS and keep things simple

Yep, what @sfseay says. Many - not all, but many - of those guys on SNA are HiFi oracles in their own mind, but nowhere else.

Static or DHCP, I’d need a lot of convincing that one sounded any different than the other.

Take everything you read about this HiFi caper with a grain of salt. Trust your own ears, and come to your own conclusions. If you read it on SNA, double up on the salt dose.

1 Like

Hi Guys,

I do take everything I read with a grain of salt I can assure you…but at the same time, I like to read other peoples opinions, experiences which then help me to form mine.

As I’m sure with most people, I can’t test/hear everything for myself I do rely on other peoples feedback, experience & opinions so these & other forums are better than blind ignorance.

So…I don’t want a NAS, I want to buy or build a music server/pc that will be dedicated to “serving & storing” my music files…hence the original question about whether the DSJnr is a RAA player &/or does this make any difference?

Cheers
Matt

I don’t know what an RAA player is, never heard that term before.
If you have a NAS, the DSJ will play supported files from it, if you have server software on the NAS.
If you’re building a music server, that to me sounds like the same as having a NAS with MinimServer, no?

I have the exact same question. I am in the process of buying a music server (Think Antipodes/Melco/Inuous) that can connect to the DS Jr via Ethernet (Network connects to the server>server to DS Jr).
Will I have any problems connecting to the DS Jr. Would be great to know before I spend $5k…

Maybe Ted or Paul can chime in

Thank you

No problem running my Melco to the DS Sr./BridgeII via ethernet. No issues whatsoever, solid as a rock and very stable.
Do not know about Antipodes and Inuous. Just like the Melco -acting as DHCP server- they need to deliver the IP-adress to the DS/Bridge (set to dynamic IP).

Should be no problem at all.

Rate Allocation Algorithm (RAA). For those of you, us that don’t understand it, here is a link to an article that kind of explains it.

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=IkajJC9iGxMC&pg=PA580&lpg=PA580&dq=what+is+RAA+streaming&source=bl&ots=wCeCDcmm0R&sig=nxroX5GejAlMSiJ153njblTCUc4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjY0_W3yNnbAhWIkJQKHfMOAzUQ6AEwDnoECAIQAQ#v=onepage&q=what%20is%20RAA%20streaming&f=false

Paul - comforting to know that the DSJnr via BII will accept a “bridged / daisy chained” connection from a music server.

Cheers all
Matt

Seems to be specific to video streaming? Is there any relevance to an audio product?

Just so I’m clear, you would set the IP to that of your server on your network, is that correct?

Hi Brodric,

There is but I don’t know it’s relevance at this stage other than it’s been mentioned in articles I’ve read in which bridged Ethernet has been discussed.

I’m not at home at the moment & when I googled RAA on my phone, that was the only article I found so I’ll have another search later when home.

Anyone else know what the relevance, importance of RAA is?

Cheers
Matt

Info on Page 7 of this huge topic on CA.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?page=7

Seems to be connected to a selectable mode in which helps integration with HQ Player?

HI All,

My 1st link, as pointed out by Brodic was a furphy…as it was in relation to a video standard & not audio PLUS & quite embarrassingly, what I’ve been referring to is NAA not RAA.

NAA is Network Audio Adapter

Reading a link in CA it seems it’s just a…

NAA is a way to expose remote audio devices to HQPlayer over asynchronous network link. It is just an audio “renderer” with support for number of different audio endpoint devices. Playback by NAA is completely clocked by the audio endpoint device and NAA performs only buffering, no decoding or processing at all. (A bit like asynchronous USB DAC, but having ethernet interface instead.) These endpoints are shown in the HQPlayer device selection just like local devices would.

Sorry for the confusion.
Matt