Is PS Audio going direct sale only?

Markup can be quite high. Recently had in home extended audition of Wireworld Eclipse 8 1M XLR;s arranged through an authorized dealer. Cables were sent directly to me from Wireworld & dealer’s invoice was in the package. Eclipse 8 1M XLR retails for $450; dealer’s invoice was $171.

Wow. That really seems exorbitant But there it was in black and ehote

Many of these posts reflect a fundamental truth that, unlike the retail experience, online shopping ultimately becomes mostly about the price.

1 Like

I’ve never paid retail for a single piece of audio equipment, any brand, period. That is the way the world has worked for as long as I can remember. The only thing I pay retail for is groceries! There is no chance I would have dropped $10,000 on a P20!

1 Like

Well, on more than one occasion I’ve bought a stock and then watched the price crater for no apparent reason. The only consideration I can control is whether the thing was worth owning in the first place at whatever price I paid for it. Too high = no buy. Not freaking out about things you can’t control is better for your blood pressure.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride…and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well…maybe chalk it up to forced consciousness expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.” (Hunter S. Thompson)

1 Like

Exactly what I mean, didn’t do that either, my dealer gave me a discount, paid EUR 1800 (US$ 2000) instead of EUR 2055(US$ 2300) for a Stellar Gain Cell DAC. Great deal :joy:

Re: international, well in that case, no further PSA equipment for me.

The current representative in my country charges a varying % over MSRP, not quite the figure that the company stipulated plus I have had items take 4, 5 and nearly 8 months (!) to arrive which is a shame. I can’t begin to grasp how more expensive, and even slower it would be through PSA direct.

In current internet model - consumer has taken on more responsibility on defective units. We are responsible for everything if you think about that. Manufacturers have become more involved in the debugging process with a mostly uninformed consumer on electronics issues. So you can see a possible increase in cost for the mfg and also a decrease in cost for the consumer given the increased competition thru more distribution channels. Since the sales channel provides no additional service after the sale - they too can give us a lower price for that - plus their low overhead costs.

Now going forward - my price may increase a little for service I’m all ready getting. So I think it’s understandable to be upset with that.

I just find it odd how the market adjusted for the internet model - and now this seems to be another adjustment to it.

1 Like

My all-in-one audio system is designed around a global collect and return program. A streamer upgrade was included in my purchase. It was done in 3 weeks door to door including shipping overseas. It can be done, but it needs to be part of an overall service business model.

1 Like

As an overseas and previously a US customer don’t underestimate the impact this will have in the overseas market. The direction set in the US will have immediate impact on the decision these retailers make today. Changes made in the US and not reflected globally will hurt global sales while pricing changes or pricing uncertainty will impact buying decisions today outside the US.

The retail world is certainly changing and as usual PS audio are keeping up or just ahead of the curve but please don’t forget the rest of the world …

1 Like

Yep. Those prices are in line with the quotes and purchases I have received/made when working with dealers (I’ve seen cheaper actually). I fear the new model will make the high MSRP with the occasional 10% sale, the defacto pricing model. Just like Apple. This will shut out a lot of the younger “new blood” that has discovered or rediscovered HiFi and found that there are now high quality/high value options that did not exist in the 80’s. Andrew Jones’ Adante speakers or the Mytek Brooklyn DAC for example.

We are not attacking PS Audio. Most of us love company and its products. But the old days of going to an audio show and the manufacturer says, “our new speakers ONLY cost $10,000!” is a relic of the 70’s and 80’s.

Yours,

Byrdman

1 Like

I’m with you. Retail of entire system $58K, paid $38K. Markups are substantial; pay retail, you’re getting gouged, big time.

29 posts were merged into an existing topic: Flagged Posts

There are a lot of choices out there when it comes to high-end Audio. I will always do my research and eventually find the best bang for the buck product available, also taking into consideration the company behind the product. In the last year, those products happened to come from PSA, which I purchased from an online dealer. Luckily I’m set for quite some time. In the future though, when the quest begins again, I will do my due diligence, and slowly and methodically arrive at the highest quality product I can find, at the best price, again taking into consideration the manufacturer of said product.

3 Likes

This will be an interesting change for PSA. I hope it works out well and I always wondered about the retail price vs getting almost half off at a dealer 12 miles from PSA HQ. This will be a hard “level set”. There is one really good positive for me. I had to sell my PSA separates a year or so ago. I have since got a killer integrated (imho) and speakers. However I always missed my Jr. I read this thread this morning and am now listening to my latest addition (Jr) now. Silver instead of black but I’ll get over it. Damn, how did I get by w/o one of these? Good luck with the new model Paul. Hope to see those speakers soon…

BHK 300 pricing, considering the quality it offers, is more than fair, even at retail. The fact that they can be had for substantially less makes them a true bargain in the current “high end” marketplace.

1 Like

For the money… I would rather have the Luxman M-900u stereo amp vs the BHK 300. May be one of the best amps for the money made today… And it’s specs,looks and build quality are over the top.

http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=19

And ,by the way,when first introduced a few years back the retail price US was $21,000.00. Luxman saw fit to lower the price to a more manageable $15,000.00. Some dealers were charging the 21k and Luxman pretty much set a retail price for their dealerships at 15k as to make it fair across the board for their customer base. Fair pricing indeed.

2 Likes

The actual reason that Luxman’s US MSRP was significantly reduced across the line a couple of years ago was due to a decision to setup and manage their own distribution. By setting up Luxman US and thereby eliminating a level in their distribution chain they were able to reduce prices by ~25% on much of their gear. In addition to making it that much more competitive in the market they’re able to maintain a better level of inventory to meet customer demand.

3 Likes

Hmmmmmmm…

:slight_smile:

Thanks for the heads up Bill. Sounds as if Luxman is ahead of the curve…