Is Synergistic Research pulling our legs?

I probably will do that eventually, but for now, my brother’s Purple fuses are probably in the mail right now, and I’m gonna give him the Beeswax to compare to the Purple and the Orange he has in his P12. He told me he didn’t think the P12 was much better than plugging everything into the wall until he put in the Orange fuse. That is why he bought the Purple ones now. The Orange fuse made him a believer.

He is using the PS Audio AC12 power cord right now powering the P12, maybe he should try an AudioQuest Dragon instead. It will really make his system sing!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing…It will be nice to hear about his impressions
with the purple…

Best wishes

2 Likes

I disagree with that statement.

Plate tectonics was once considered pseudoscience and is now accepted as established science.

Acupuncture, a 2,000-year-old Chinese healing art, was once concidered pseudoscience, but has been validated through numerous studies.

Many times things labeled as pseudoscience, have never been thoroughly investigated or studied. And inversely, many things considered to be settled science, are later discovered to be incorrect.

3 Likes

Why do we need a “consensus” about Synergistic Research? Do we need a consensus about the best amps? Speakers?

SR makes high quality cables that are competitive with brands like Nordost, Siltech, Audience, Wireworld, etc. You may prefer another brand to SR and that’s perfectly fine. But it’s highly unlikely that an open-minded listener will find the SR cables to fall well short for the same price. On the contrary, there are many professional reviewers who think that SR products offer exceptional value. This is why SR can offer a 30-day money back policy. If you can find a better cable than the Atmosphere SX, a better ground box than the Active Ground Block, or a better fuse than the Purple, please let me know!

5 Likes

Poor choice of words on my part, using the word “labeled.” Yes, of course, there are things previously labeled false which we have subsequently learned to have truth to them.

My point is there is a great deal of nonsense claimed to have scientific validation for which this is patently untrue.

3 Likes

Stock powercord.
See Jays Audio Lab :wink:

Amen to that!

1 Like

So let’s see here…zero white papers, zero explanation of their “tech”, zero anything other than “trust us we’re cutting edge”? Ok…

Why do you assume that “expectation bias” is always positive? I had a personal experience where a cable skeptic couldn’t hear a difference when the rest of us could hear the clear improvement. If you don’t have confidence in your hearing ability, that’s OK. I’m not trying to change your mind.

There’s no need for “legal” obligation or “trust”. If you don’t like the SR stuff, just return it within 30 days. How easy is that?

8 Likes

I know Jay uses the stock power cords on his 100+ K Boulder amplifier. But I would suspect the stock power cord on that amp is exceptional, considering the price, plus I think when you get to a certain level of gear, they’ve been designed to be more immune to RFI and voltage irregularities, and benefit less if at all from upgraded power cords.

2 Likes

Well said mtseymour57…or any other type of gear…for that
matter.

Best wishes

1 Like

Considering how Jay went on about the dramatic changes his “audiophile” power outlets made to the sound of his system, I don’t get his message re. pcables.

I certainly don’t understand his lastest videos, where he’s replaced most of his power cords with $10 Amazon basics, PC’s.

I can understand going with the stock Boulder power cords, because they have special female ends that plug into the amp, plus I’m sure their exceptional cords. I’m not sure what he’s trying to prove by demonstrating his system with El cheapo Amazon power cords. Perhaps to prove that ultra high-end gear doesn’t require upgrade power cords.

I’m not sure what your point is as regarding my post and impressions? I think I was pretty clear that listening impressions of his products varied from " no discernible effect" to “different but no better” and “quite amazing” for one of the products. And I admit the “quite amazing” was meant mainly regarding my bemusement at how a one cubic foot metal box could actually audibly tighten the bass response in the room. It’s true that expectation bias is real, I’m not denying that is a reality. That topic has been addressed ad nauseam and any educated listener knows they need to be on internal watch for the effect. However, you seem to imply that everyone who hears audible differences during one of Synergistic Research’s A/B comparisons is a victim of expectation bias. I think it is probably more accurate to say the most frequent downside with many of the tweaks that SR (and other companies) demonstrates is the tendency for first impressions to be “different is better.” While some find Ted to have a disagreeable personality and pretty much everyone agrees he provides pseudo scientific claptrap explanations those factors still don’t preclude the possibility that at least some of his products are efficacious. It seems highly unlikely that Synergistic Research would thrive as long as they have if every product they made was truly ineffective and lacking in merit.

6 Likes

“You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.”

+1 :clap: :clap:

They may not have understood how it worked on a molecular level, but they knew what it did, and why and how it worked.

In many ways, ancient Chinese medicine is more advanced than modern allopathic medicine.
In simple terms, ancient Chinese medicine helped the body heal itself, by removing blocks. They also looked at the whole person, and knew that everything is connected. Modern allopathic medicine takes a very compartmentalized approach, using specialized experts for specific parts of the body, and using synthetic drugs to be treat symptoms, rather than addressing root causes. Although major difference is, allopathic medicine waits until you’re sick before treating you, ACM (ancient Chinese medicine) focused on preventative medicine, and keeping the body in balance, in order to avoid illness.

Here’s a deep dive into the differences between these different modalities, if you’re interested.

2 Likes

I wonder if you would kindly share the details of your hifi system? That might surely help some of us visualize a well reasoned hifi. This forum is a learning tool for most here after all.
Thanks!

6 Likes

My brother got the SR Purple fuses today and I also gave him my Beeswax to try, so this is what he found out.

He said the Beeswax is slightly better than the SR Orange, a little more transparent, but there is a greater difference between the SR Purple and the Beeswax even though the Purple is right out of the box unbroken in, just like what I said earlier. His system showed the same improvements like mine. He said the Purple opened the soundstage more, and much more transparent sounding than the Beeswax, and the Orange the most veiled of the three fuses. He heard it right away when he put in the Purple fuse.

4 Likes

Great report friend …thanks for you follow through…
Best wishes

2 Likes