Is there a way to check for hours on the drive for a PWT?

I finally bit the bullet and bought a PWT. This is claimed to be a very lightly used unit. The pics look great. Still has the plastic on top and it looks pristine. I was wondering if there is any way via the web interface to query the unit to see how many hours the transport had been in operation, or information like that. Thanks. Can’t wait to get it!

Excellent decision! You will be pleased.

It would be fun to know, but I am not aware of any way to glean this information from either the unit or the web interface. I just tried. No joy.

Perhaps somebody knows of a way.

Thanks Elk, I’ve had my PDT3 overhauled quite some time ago, and the laser still has plenty of life, but I don’t know if I’m just imagining it or that I’ve been gradually starting to hear a bit more digital grunge coming out of it. I’d been communicating with a nice fellow the next state over and he provided pics and information about his unit. I hate to say it but one of the clinchers was seeing so many of them in use at RMAF and NYAS (this year and even last year). That and Paul’s recent info about trying to get DSD working through the PWT.

i think you’re gonna be thrilled Tony. it’s a great transport.

are you going I2S in the pwd?

tony22 said: . . . one of the clinchers was seeing so many of them in use at RMAF and NYAS (this year and even last year).

This is persuasive. :) I did not know they were popular in this context.

I would not worry about the laser as the PWT drive is a standard DVD drive, readily available and easy to replace.

@tony22

If you stack, I believe that putting the PWT at the bottom results in the best sound. The weight of the PWD seems to stabilize the PWT. Anyway, that’s what I do.

A year or two ago Stereophile ran an article on the top ten free/low cost things you could do to improve system sound. Placing a CD player under another unit was one of them.

Oh, I have been told that I am going to The Chicago audio show. After that show, taking the train with Steven R. to vist Missouri and enjoy his amazing audio system. Never visited the Plain States before - just flyover. Hope he takes me to see the Arch. In the a Spring he can come stay with me and ogle the UNCW co-eds on bikini parade from my back deck.

@tony22. PWT & DSD: You refer to something @Paul wrote on this. Can you direct me to that information? But, even if the PWT can play SACD’s will there be an upgrade to enable the PWD to decode? Someone wrote that the chip in the PWD has to be “unlocked” for DSD/SACD playback?

Sure Christopher, here it is

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/#/discussion/5815/recording-dsd-playing-back-over-pwt

Technically it’s not “playing DSD” through the PWT but it’s an interesting possibility.

@Levi, yes I would love to use an I2S if someone would be nice enough to sell me a .5 Meter AC-12 at a reasonable price! I’ve been a little too late getting on the PWT train so those are no longer available new. :-((

@Elk, yep the PWTs were spread around pretty good at these shows. I kinda sorta know the guy from GTT Audio who runs their room (mostly because I see him every year). He was using a PWT to drive everything feeding the YG Sonjas this year. I asked him (like I didn’t know anything about PSA :smiley: ) what he thought about “that transport”. He said it was a “pretty good” transport, but the real thing about it was that it was that played to a much higher level than its price. I think he was trying to say that it wasn’t a real expensive (for them) transport to haul to a show but was able to perform to a level that would work with the rest of a megabuck setup. Anyway, that how I’m interpreting it. :)) Many other high end rooms were using it as well.

I was hoping to get the PayPal invoice last night so I could get the PWT paid for and have it shipped off. Nothing yet. :-?

tony22 said: I think he was trying to say that it wasn't a real expensive (for them) transport to haul to a show but was able to perform to a level that would work with the rest of a megabuck setup.

:)

Transaction completed. I should have the PWT by Wednesday or Thursday. Hope it is as described. [-O<

It will be.

And you will be delighted. =D>

@tony22
If you stack, I believe that putting the PWT at the bottom results in the best sound. The weight of the PWD seems to stabilize the PWT. Anyway, that's what I do.

A year or two ago Stereophile ran an article on the top ten free/low cost things you could do to improve system sound. Placing a CD player under another unit was one of them.

Oh, I have been told that I am going to The Chicago audio show. After that show, taking the train with Steven R. to vist Missouri and enjoy his amazing audio system. Never visited the Plain States before - just flyover. Hope he takes me to see the Arch. In the a Spring he can come stay with me and ogle the UNCW co-eds on bikini parade from my back deck.

Try putting your PWT and PWD on Stillpoints Ultra 5's and listen then. Most gutsy, stable imaged, awesome live sounding digital I have ever had. Blew me away. Also of importance to clean up stray EMI RFI place two Shakti stabalizers either one on top/one underneath or if no upper space (like mine) place both underneath the PWT and PWD one at the back, and one under the front side and listen to what happens. You will be in love, I guarantee it. :x :x :x

Also, try Shunyata's amazing Python XLR ZiTron digital cable instead of I2S HDMI connection and also be in for a shock.

Several of the Forum members have this set up and much prefer it over the I2S HDMI connection. I am one of them.

Odd

Hi, Odd!

Delightful to hear from you!

I’ll keep these suggestions in mind, Odd. I was shocked to see the sender decided to save $1 (literally) and send the package standard US Mail as opposed to USPS Priority Mail. Now instead of having gotten it yesterday I won’t see it until Monday. X( He is right over the state line from me, but USPS is now driving around my package on a truck to keep their ridiculous projected delivery date.

ONE dollar!

I would stick to the I2S connection but buy a very good HDMI cable. PS Audio own cables are not up to the task and you’re giving away too much SQ with them… Try e.g. Audioquest Diamond :wink:

Agree, HDMI is superior in my system too.

I tried Audioquest Diamond and Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 - the winner.

Transferred the AQ HDMI to my TV set, significant improvements in picture and sound qualities.

http://www.wireworldcable.com/hdmi-2.0-cables.html#hdmitop

amiglic said

Agree, HDMI is superior in my system too.

I tried Audioquest Diamond and Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 - the winner.

Transferred the AQ HDMI to my TV set, significant improvements in picture and sound qualities.

HDMI Audio Video Cables | High-End HDMI Cables | Wireworld

Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 my choice also compared to the PSA