Is there any general consensus about a Bridge II alternative upgrade?

That is some rarefied air. LOL. Let us know how it sounds in your system.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had Roon five years, and although I love the interface, I think there is room for improvement sound quality wise. Iā€™ve been listening more to Bryston MPD, which is IMO a step up from Roon. Brystonā€™s software is very clunky though. Hoping the A10 will offer me the best of both worldsā€¦

1 Like

When I purchased my Perfectwave DAC in 2014, I was under the impression that I could feed it with any digital signal and there would be no difference in sound.
At the dealer I bought it from, I tried the DAC fed by the Bridge (probably Bridge I) , using the digital out from a Cyrus Streamline and also a Bryson BDP-2. All music was stored on a NAS.

The Cyrus was the worst result, followed by the Bridge. The Bryson was the best by a considerable margin. Whilst the standard music serving software on the Bryson is somewhat clunky, it works. It is also a ROON endpoint and works flawlessly in that capacity.

Given your budget, I could heartily recommend a Bryson BDP-2. My version is the original one with the ESL @Juli sound card. I think the later versions with the Bryson integrated card had some issues playing nicely with the DS DAC for certain hi-res music formats but others on here would know better.

The short answer from me is that you can definitely do better than the built-in B2 and you would not need to spend a fortune to get there.

2 Likes

Those BDPs are built like tanks. I have two BDP-2 and a BDP-1. Both 2s have the IAD card. You should upgrade yours. Sound performance goes very close to the current version $4K BDP-3. Starting in the second half of 2015, the IAD upgrade was stock production. The BDP-2 with the Juli card is still a great unit, but closer to the BDP-1 sound wise.

1 Like

Any thoughts on the Lumin U1 mini with an external LPS?

The U1 Miniā€™s a great piece but usually hard to find on the used market. Thereā€™s one on Audiogon now though that went up today.

1 Like

This is a great thread and I am searching for a bridge II replacement hard. The perfect device, for me, doesnā€™t exit. It would include the following:

• DLNA/UPnP to support JRiver (donā€™t see giving up on JRiver, Iā€™ve tried others).

• Fiber input (low priority and can be handled a bunch of ways).

• I2S output (can be achieve with another device of-course given a usb output from the bridge device).

• Qobuz integration and ability to switch from JRemote (controlling JRiver) to Qobuz on the fly.

• Editā€¦oh ya, and sound better than the bridge ii.

Some get close but nothing is perfect for me. The dcs bridge is the closest but no chance at I2S since thereā€™s no usb out (matrix and sonore devices need usb input). A bridge II replacement has been a difficult search. Sonore and all itā€™s boxes donā€™t support Qobuz (unless itā€™s through roon). Maybe a headless server like a Baetis?

Thanks for the heads up.

There is one on Craigslist in Dallas with a Kenneth Lau LPS for a decent price. More than I wish to spend for a network bridge, but I did just sell my etehrRegen, Pardot LPS, and Bridge II to get some funds together.

Using the OPPO 105 as a network bridge for now. I could live happily with that if I woudl stop reading these audio forums. LOL

1 Like

Not sure why you need USB output - you can sell / save cash by not opting for these devices and their associated cables & power supplies. This may possibly get you nearer to being able to buy a dCS Network Bridge. I use the AES/EBU output from the dCS Network Bridge to the PSA DAC and it sounds great.

Just to take advantage of the ā€œbetterā€ DSD input. Agree, itā€™s likely not a deal killerā€¦still, while hunting, Iā€™m looking for perfect. Iā€™ll settle eventually.

Itā€™s been nearly two years since I compared the Bridge to the ultraRendu in my system. What I remember is the kind of changes that are generally associated with reduced noise: lower noise floor, improvement in low level detail and bass definition. Whatever it was then, the difference was obvious (to me) and repeatable.

Being a mac guy who runs Roon on a sonicTransporter for audio, I donā€™t know anything about JRiver compatibility.

1 Like

I have a BDP-2 unused and ready to ship ! I think it is the older model but I am not sure !

Bryston has excellent customer service. I bet if you send the the S/N they can tell you what version it is.

Hereā€™s a picture of the upgrade card. Pretty much anything with a production date in late 2015 is factory equipped with the IAD. Earlier versions would have to have added the $500 upgrade kit.

So what Iā€™ve gathered from the thread, one of more basic (but feasible) routes to stream & play DSD would be:

Aries Femto > USB > Directream or
AriesF > USB >Matrix > I2S > Directstream

A step up would be to go Lumin D1 Mini, rather than Aries Femto.

Are there any other options less than $2k (plus DAC)? What Iā€™d like to do is find something that will play DSD until the Octave player is out, then I can make a longer term decision; at the moment my CXN will accept DSD64, but just converts to PCM.

This is the best price Iā€™ve seen and from an Auralic dealer.

1 Like

I was just speaking to Mike about it earlier - thank you for confirming that may be a good option / value.

That is pretty good. Usually around 800-1000 from what I have seen.
Might check that out. The used Lumin U1 with Kenneth Lau LPS is $1720 asking price. Tempting but that could get north of $1800 with shipping.

This is where I have trouble getting my head around things in terms of outlay on peripherals and ROI. I only spent a few hundred more on the PSA DS Sr itself used.

1 Like

Iā€™m still using mine from four years ago in a secondary system and it just works. As Iā€™ve never used a Matrix I canā€™t tell you what that brings to the table but as the prices of new units keep creeping up the slightly older units like the Aries Femtoā€™s prices have been going up too and this is the cheapest I have seen one. LDS is also my preferred software. I have bought a couple of things from Mike over the years and he seems to be a straight shooter. From people I know that own or have owned the U1 Mini the added LPS is a big step up from the internal SMPS but that does add to the cost. With the usually used Sbooster and connection kit that adds a little under $500. Also unless they have changed their position again adding the external power supply can void the warranty so a consideration to some if buying new.

Ha. It just sold. I was ready to pull the trigger on it. :rofl: