Isolation: What are you guys using under your Directstream?

I have tried all kinds of footers including squishy stuff, cones and cylinders of various materials (wood, ceramic, brass, stainless steel, carbon, space age mystery material), exotic machined feet with ball bearings, laminations of this and that, finally concluding that the manufacturer’s stock “rubber” feet on a dense mass gives the most satisfactory result. I rest my DS MP, DS DAC and BHK Pre on 1-1/4" thick concrete tiles (painted black) laminated onto 1/2" thick cork (edges painted black) sitting on 3/4" MDF shelves. The only component in my system that benefits from a different support is the BHK Preamp. For the Preamp in addition to the concrete tile/cork base I use three graphite cylinders with tungsten balls (Tuneblocks SE made by Boston Audio). They are what I settled on after countless experiments with many different supports. These graphite-supported tungsten balls (sitting on the mass of the concrete over cork base) were audibly beneficial in image focusing and eliminating a trace of high frequency sibilance possibly caused by vibration of the vintage tubes I chose from dozens of tubes auditioned. From my experience, only some equipment audibly benefits from special feet and the best solution is typically not universal nor the most expensive.

The above makes perfect sense to me …and seems to hold true in my case. The fun continues…

I like it simple.
Source: stock rubber feet on black-painted concrete tiles over black-edge-painted cork on black Salamander MDF shelves.
Preamp: Tuneblocks SE on black-painted concrete tiles over black-edge-painted cork on black Salamander MDF shelves.
Amps: stock rubber feet on black-painted 2" thick MDF on black Salamander MDF shelves.

1 Like

Amps on top for obvious reasons (heat). Yes, I have to bend my knees to put a disc in the MP tray. Good exercise. Remote controls do everything else. It’s a secret what will go in the empty lower right slot.

Ooo baby, look at those amps. I don’t think a P20 will fit in that slot.

Nope, not thinking PowerPlant, though I once measured to see which models might fit! I’m not considering anything that draws much power or generates significant heat.

Octave server?

A server there is not a bad idea. I currently have my server elsewhere hidden behind a chair. The item I am considering is controversial and deviates from the subject of this thread, which is supposed to be “isolation under the DirectStream.” :wink:

Bose Wave radio

Nailed it. That system is begging for some high quality…

Right, a Bose Wave to play soft background music and fool everyone into thinking the big system is playing. Save electricity and extend tube life.

Do we win a prize if we guess correctly? :roll_eyes:

I envy a stand like josephlg’s, with the exception that I need to put a 48" TV on top (yes, I know…). My $50 MDF stand is the best I could find with room for the TV, but it sacrifices vertical on the shelves. Plus, the floor flexes to the right front (leased condo). Those are EVA’s under the dac and cable box, and a Powerbase under the P15 (the speakers not shown are active ATC’s). I’d like to find something with more heft and height or lateral width to the shelves that can support the TV, if anyone has an idea.

My recommendation is an expensive one, one of the two Mapleshade racks I use, the Version 3. Awesome rack.

I’ve been eyeing this media rack from Simpli Home:

It looks versatile and strong enough for heavy audio equipment. Plus it doesn’t have the center column, which makes moving equipment around easier.

Love it… Not sure it would fit a 250 though… Right now I have a shorter “rack”, TV on top and DAC and 250 running outboard along each end.

Good point about that center post. Right now mine’s blocking two outlets on the P15 and the outer posts are set up in a way that makes it impossible to put components side by side. I only need 42" width for the TV stand, but could use the extra few inches of height and better materials for additional isolation. Btw, that Skyler stand can be had for a little less at Amazon and Wal-Mart.

I like the industrial look of the console below in carbon.

CB2 go cart

My experience is a quality rack is more important than vibration control tweaks. Cones, bearings, etc. work, but cannot make up for a mediocre rack.

1 Like

I’ve got two sets of Aurios. A name that seemed to have become lost in the past. I have my BHK pre on top of the DSDAC, nothing in between. I like the look much better than on the Aurios (last used in a different equip setup).

Maybe I could live with Aurios under the two box stack…

Thought once upon a time Paul wrote it was ok to stack, then later I believe he said it wasn’t optimal.

So I’m puzzled. Also, I wonder about the need for isolation if you don’t play the system very loud (less sound pressure in the room.)

Please educate me.