It's Alive !- Finally Orchard Audio Ultra 5 Channel Amplifier with Antek Power Supply

Neat and tidy wiring and component layout. Looks great and you should be proud!

3 Likes

Thank you Kurt.

I am proud every time I turn it on and it doesn’t let out the “magic smoke”. BTW, I bought used from USA Audio Mart A PS Audio Perfect Wave Disc Spinner (with the L/C/R/SW I2S Outputs) and the DirectStream DAC Sr. The price was right. Both are out of warranty and so was I when my Wife found out :joy:

Most importantly, they are both Black which means they will sound better…right ? :grinning:

2 Likes

Leo Ayzenshtat had sent me some custom DC Rectifier boards he built for me specific to my multichannel build in the new chassis. These are one off’s for me only but are as good as his little 6 pack Nichicon cap banks he used on his switching supply builds.

36,000uF on both the + and - 40VDC rails for the left and right channel Ultra Amplifier modules. For the Center and Surround Channels only one rectifier w/caps board is used since they will only “turn on” when running program material on all 5 Channels. I added 15,000uF (so 51,000uF total) since it’s feeding 3 Ultra Amplifier modules.

What was an excellent “Thank You” from Leo for helping him at our Club’s 2022 AZAVClub’s Speakerfest 2022 turned into a challenge to retrofit everything. But then this transplant turned out not to be as “easy” as it was taking everything out from my gutted Niles Chassis and into my friend George’s chassis.

Drilling the holes for the PCB’s, removing the aluminum plate and drilling a big hole to remount the Toroidal Transformer was not fun. I vacuumed after every hole was drilled so that shaving weren’t leftover to short my very expensive (to me anyways) Ultra Amplifier modules.

So how did it sound ? More phantom center than before (and that was pretty good too) !
More Bass extension. More Placebo effect :joy:.

No magic and expensive smoke was let out ! I am never opening that Amplifier lid ever again or moving the 40lbs. beast ever again !!

6 Likes