Ken Burns' History of Country Music

That series on PBS about the history of country music is well worth seeing, even if, like me, not a big country fan.

Cheers.
Mongo

2 Likes

I enjoyed every minute. I was around for more of it than I’d like to admit. My mother had records with many of the performers and performances shown. The last few episodes were pretty nostalgic for me.

2 Likes

I agree. It was a very good series and I learned a lot watching it.

My mother-in-law sent the Bluray to me yesterday. Looking forward to it. :slight_smile:

I enjoyed it quite a bit as well. Our local community radio station WORT has a Wednesday Morning country program Back to the Country. If you enjoyed the Ken Burns Country Music on PBS surely you would like Back to the Country. The show is hosted by Bill Malone who was the single scholarly reference for the PBS Series. Bill is a Country Music Historian, originally from Austin Tx, transplanted to Madison, Wisconsin. Bill’s show last Wednesday finished up with an 18 minute interview with Ken Burns. It is available to stream for the curious country music buff. I should say Back to the Country focuses on roots country, with less emphasis on the polished “Nashville Sound”. While not necessarily a fan of Contry Music, I am a fan of Bill Malone and his show. It has a more raw feel to it than the typical Country Music shows. Enjoy!

Thanks for the link @weedeewop. I thoroughly enjoyed the documentary as well. My local PBS affiliate aired the entire thing about on Sunday and I got sucked in around the halfway mark. While I have a few artists I love, I’m not a true country fan. I found it incredibly interesting and have been recommending it to fellow music fans.

1 Like

My Wife said the same thing to me. Why are you watching it if you’re not into Country Music (and Opera for that matter). It’s the History that I’m into. But when it comes to Jazz (another fine KB series), I binge whenever I can on YouTube.

1 Like

I dug up a few old country cds I bought because they reminded me of my Dad. Played Essential Highwaymen, and Johnny Cash’s greatest hits. Those shows put me in the mood. Kris Kristopherson’s lyrics are some of the most beautiful poetry of our time, in my not-so-humble-opinion.

Rememberies…
Mongo

1 Like