Klipsch RP600M capability

Yes, The receiver/speaker combo is ok for NORMAL listening levels, but not the extreme conditions mentioned here.

2 Likes

Especially in a 40ā€™x30ā€™x20ā€™ space, 24,000 cuft. A picture goes a long way. Looking forward to a picture of his system in that space.

1 Like

Hey weedeeā€¦

It seems our friend onkyoklypschā€¦may need to step up to an Altec A7 Voice of the Theater
and these are truly amazing and are phenomenal.

Like this:

Better still listen ā€¦Sherezade 1959 ish recording RCA living stereoā€¦

Small room or large theater

Best wishes

1 Like

That was my thought as well, Altec Voice of the Theater A7. However Dirkā€™s suggestion was a bit more practical.

1 Like

Sadly you are probably right!!

The A7s would be phenomenal in that roomā€¦

Just listening to the one playing in the link is amazing!!

Best wishes

1 Like

Not experiencing this or anything closeā€¦my room is 15ft x 25ft L shapped.

My speakers are Focal Aria 948 driven by a beast of an amp Parasound JC5
first 12 watts Class A then on to 400 watts/channel Class AB.

My Focals are rated 92,5 db sensitivity, minimum 2.5 ohm impedance
with recommended power of 40-350 watts rms.

All that to say that 80 db is quite loud ā€¦95 db is way too loud ā€¦105 db is excessively too
loudā€¦ear damaging however I did measure my sound level with an american recorders
sound pressure meterā€¦

At no point did my Arias sound strained or over drivenā€¦but rather seemed quite at home
delivering the goodsā€¦

If you have ever played Telarcā€™s cd Time Warpā€¦designed at the time to showcase digital
audioā€¦with a warning of possible damage to speaker and or amps.

Flim and the BBā€™s Trycycle has a jump factor when played at high levelsā€¦
These albums Will definetly test your system ā€¦I donā€™t recommend doing soā€¦!!!

Both albums are a great deal of funā€¦but ears are for a lifetime and near impossiible to
restoreā€¦

So take good care of themā€¦donā€™t need loud 100db + to enjoy music

Mostly I play my music in the 50-65 db range that peak into low 80sā€¦have even listened
to a piece of classical music where I could still perceive music at 20 dbs ranging a moment later
to 71 dbs that is a 50db range truly amazingā€¦

Went slightly off topic but wanted to give some background context to this topic inorder
to help you get a sense of directionā€¦

Best wishes in your audio journey

1 Like

I see the specs for the Onkyo say it requires speakers from 8 to 16 ohm, which suggests to me it isnā€™t necessarily designed to be stable under lower-impedance loads. If these Klipsch have a marked impedance dip as you say, I suppose itā€™s possible that the amp could be pushed into clipping at high volumes.

Also, I donā€™t know what you mean when you talk about listening at a volume of -40 to +16, with your max at +10. What do those numbers represent?

2 Likes

I agree. The volume settings as stated had me completely stumpedā€¦?

The speakers are far too small for such a massive roomā€¦ the bass voice coils melted.

2 Likes

My room is 15ā€™ x 15ā€™ with one side open to a long hallway and the other side open to our front door entrance. Add to that a bay window on one side of the room with Blinds. With carefully placed DIY room treatment, the room sounds very good.

I have two CW4ā€™s and a Heresy 4 powered by a true 500WPC@4Ī© Orchard Audio Ultra Amplifiers. No issue but like Dirk, I canā€™t listen at high volume levels like I used to.

1 Like

Craig, first of all, thank you for reading my post, Iā€™m glad i grabbed your interestā€¦

1. Iā€™m not totally sure its actually 105 db, that just what my phone apps indicate. but besides that, when I listen to music i love it loudā€¦ not static or distortion of any sorts, i only will listen to loud when its clearā€¦ so maybe lets say 95 dbā€¦ but yes, it could easily be at the vol for 2 to 3 hours continuously

2. I kept going back because I needed to know the answer/ the root cause of the failureā€¦ buy and return via amazon

Yes before I even purchased the first set I ask them about my amp and if it would blow the speakers, they said iā€™d go deaf before blowing them and basically said based on all the conversations we had i would be covered with respect to warranty as long as I owned themā€¦ which they COMPLETELY lied.

Sorry everyone for my delay in my responses, the website shut me down for 21 hours, due to my ā€œdaily limitā€. Iā€™m new to the site, I just joined yesterdayā€¦ hence lesson learned ā€¦ I didnā€™t know about any daily limit. Apparently I was quoted as being ā€œover enthusiastā€ on my first day, as I take as a complimentā€¦ lol
But I want to thank all of you for helping me, its greatly appreciated.
In a nut shell, Iā€™m too stubborn to give up on thisā€¦ this has been an ongoing project for a year.
I actually may?? purchase an audio analyzer which Iā€™m told should provide all the answers Iā€™m looking forā€¦
who knowsā€¦ does anyone know truly if that will solve my problem? probably not, but it might provide more data to root-cause the ā€œfailure modeā€ ???

Craig, first of all, thank you for reading my post, Iā€™m glad It grabbed your interestā€¦

1. Iā€™m not totally sure itā€™s actually 105 db, that just what my phone apps indicate. but besides that, when I listen to music I love it loudā€¦ not with static or distortion of any sorts, I only will listen to loud when itā€™s clearā€¦ so maybe letā€™s say 95 dbā€¦ but yes, it could easily be at the vol for 2 to 3 hours continuously

2. I kept going back because I needed to know the answer/ the root cause of the failureā€¦ buy and return via Amazon

Yes before I even purchased the first set I ask them about my amp and if it would blow the speakers, they said Iā€™d go deaf before blowing them and basically said based on all the conversations we had I would be covered with respect to warranty as long as I owned themā€¦ which they COMPLETELY lied.

Iā€™m sorry what do you mean by a HR receiver? sorry

Dirk,
I completely agree with you on the heat, and prior to purchasing them from klipsch, I had that exact discussion with them , explaining that I listen to my music loud. they said no problem, as you mentioned, they stated the same thing regarding ear damageā€¦ lol
I seriously doubt these are producing anywhere close 105 db as my phone apps indicate, but when all conditions are perfect, they sound amazingā€¦
commenting on the temp of the voice coilā€¦ I totally get it, the windings fuse together or breaks creating open circuit/ zero ohms. but I do have data on that topicā€¦ while under full power, keeping the amp cool with a fan, both the temp on the surface of the cone/ driver AND inside temp reading through the back port NEVER exceeded 100Fā€¦ ( knowing thatā€™s external to the windings, but maybe you know, what temp or AMPS internally on the windings does it take to actually break the copper winding?

(note, both my treble and bass settings on my amp are set at zero, I havenā€™t increased either of them)
(p.s. room is only 20ā€™ wide, 38ā€™ long, 23ā€™ ceilingā€¦ 17,480 cubic feet?) does that help or hurt? idk

As far as your comment on listening to music loudā€¦ I was wondering why I needed that myself, I goggled itā€¦ for a person like me that suffers from anxiety and depression, it is a proven fact that people that suffer from my condition find it relaxing ā€¦ kind of like meditation / yoga ā€¦ I guess. the mind is so overwhelmed with the over load of that 1 of our 5 senses that the neurotransmitters actually drastically slow downā€¦ hence the ā€œracing thoughtsā€ that is every hour of everydayā€¦ get ā€¦ for lack of better terms get numbā€¦ hence driving the relaxation believe it or not

P.S. Iā€™ll do some investigation on the speakers you noted, but if I like them, Iā€™ll have to borrow even more money from you, lol

Thanks so much for your comments and feedback.
Do you have any suggestions on any additional data or measurements I can gather to get to the root cause of this problem? thanks

Davida:
onkyo model HT-R940
rated at 110 watts per channel at 8 ohms

Craigā€¦ you and I are close on that impedance parameter, but the question really is up to Klipsch to say how long can their 400W peak / dynamic rating hold true? for example if the song Iā€™m playing coincides exactly at the 1500 hz cross-over point (worse case scenario)
Impedanceā€¦ letā€™s say hard drop to 3 ohms
current on that speaker at that time may jumpā€¦letā€™s say 8 amps momentarilyā€¦
Voltage at that time easily could be 30V

Maybe Iā€™m exaggerating slightly on my values I noted but, even at those momentary situationsā€¦ 8Ax30V =240 watts (dynamically) which via Klipsch rating is well within their parametersā€¦ Right?

v=current (squared) x R
so Volts (lets just average at 115 v) / letā€™s say 3 ohms on a dip = sq root of I (current) = 6.2 amps

now working in reverseā€¦ 6.2A x 115 V = 712 Watts on that factory dip on that particular crossover point where the impedance drastically drops, now it completely exceeds the 400 W peak specs.

Anyoneā€¦ please help me with my math.

P.S. at the low impedance point. for exampleā€¦ the speakers donā€™t ā€œclipā€ā€¦ i.e. which I think would occur on the tweeter, not the wooferā€¦ right?

So Klipsch RP600 M at peak rated at 400 Watts, (duration? = unknownā€¦ thatā€™s one of the answers we need from Klipsch, as well as the time duration for continuous drive at 100 Watts = unknown )ā€¦ Correct me if Iā€™m wrong but the math above states during that cross-over point my 110 wpc amp ā€œcouldā€ hit 712 Wattsā€¦???

Is that the reason Iā€™m melting/ shorting out the voice coil? (even if I theoretically packed the cabinet with dry ice I couldnā€™t overcome the heat created via that current, or Watts on an enclosed/ encapsulated tightly packaged windings of the driverā€¦ correct?)

Dirk. I completely understand your confusion with respect to my volume settingā€¦ I need advice, help meā€¦ what would be the ideal way, data speaking, to better lay down in text, my volume setting?
Iā€™m not sure I own all the equipment/ tools ā€¦ but I WILL give it my best effort to provide the info youā€™re looking for, to help me with my problem/ potential solution to solve my situationā€¦ thank you

For over a year these speakers are approximately 15ā€™ spaced apart from on anotherā€¦ approximately about only 4ā€™ from the floor, over 2ā€™ from the wall, angled up at approx 10 degrees, to allow the sound wave to travel over the mid room couches allowing the sound to travel the entire length of the room, which for argument sakeā€¦ approx only ear level at the far end of the roomā€¦ Iā€™m only adding these details in the event someone suggests incorrect placement perhaps, but that being saidā€¦ regardless of placement or size of the room, in my opinion at this point is mute, meaning itā€™s a ā€œpowerā€ problem that Iā€™m trying to resolveā€¦ not sound qualityā€¦ just re-iterating my problem/ goal/ objectiveā€¦

Note the other 2 (high end/ price wise) Receivers/ amps previously mentioned are:
Pioneer VSX94TXH
Marantz SR6400

Neither one of these amps could power up these speakers at their capable levelā€¦ my question is why not? both rated at 130 / 140 wpcā€¦ at max volumeā€¦ no distortion or clipping but "loudness/ Intensity human ear ā€¦ was less than half of what the Onkyo providesā€¦ (human ear only for that last statement)

This totally baffles meā€¦

My next step, which I NEED EVERYONEā€™S FEEDBACK before I beginā€¦ is a brand new/ out of the box/ Onkyo HT-R940 paired up with brand new/ out of the box Klipsch RP600 Msā€¦ which theoretically at max output of the amp for ā€¦ letā€™s say an hour duration, should melt the voice coils as wellā€¦ Right?

But do I really want to repeat that fact? NO!
So, again I need help on how to best stager these variables to ultimately find the root cause of my ā€œguaranteedā€ match up per Klipsch

If you like Klipsch speakers then you need to seriously consider the Klipsch Heritage range. That is one big space, too big, for the small RP600M. Too big for most speakers but perfect for large horn speakers Semanticsā€¦ 24000 or 17480 cubic feet - both specs still way to vast of a space for small bookshelf speakers. I see the room has grown another 3ft in height!

ā€œIFā€ you were to buy Klipsch Heritage speakers you would need to invest in proper amplificationā€¦!

As for the money. Yes I have more than enough money that I can loan you to buy La Scalas or K-Horns or even the Jubilee Flagshipā€¦but thereā€™s a requirement, a stipulation, - only after youā€™ve posted on the forum more times than me!!! :slightly_smiling_face:

As for the questions you ask? Sorry, I havenā€™t enough time or the inclinationā€¦

3 Likes

My mistake. I meant HT, meaning ā€œhome theater,ā€ or as some call them, AVR for ā€œaudio/video receiver.ā€ Iā€™ve fixed that typo in my earlier post. I have no doubts there are some high quality home theater receivers out there, but dollar-for-dollar the highest sound quality (and to some extent robustness) is in 2-channel amplification, IMO.

onkyoklypschā€¦you have a wondeful large roomā€¦this size of room as
has been pointed out will need speakers that can fill that size of room
with ease. Along with that an amp that will not just put out watts, but put
out current (amps)ā€¦Most big box store receivers make high output claims
some even both main channels driven, but not all frequencies at once.

Amp wise you may want to consider this route:

https://parasound.com/a51.php

https://parasound.com/a21+.php

With these 2 you have 7 channels with high current delivery ā€¦
Overkill for Klipsch perhapsā€¦but will allow for a move away from Klipsch
if you so desire later in the futureā€¦

Parasound has been around for a long time making long lasting products

The other company might be Anthem they offer a lot of great ht gear as well

Wishing you the best in your HT audio journeyā€¦

1 Like

Something else to look at is Paulā€™s Posts
on Voltageā€¦

Best wishes

OMG! I Had to travel unexpenancy for 2.5 weeks, got home, my computer had/ still has a virus, and when I returned, due to my in-activity on this site i was blockedā€¦ yes I tried to re create a new account, but, i couldnā€™t due to the face there was something in outerspace with my email that didnā€™t allow itā€¦

BOTTOM LINE - Iā€™M HERE NOW,
thank you all for your ideas and opinionsā€¦ if it wasnā€™t for media/ sites like these, we would be hunting dear with the barroll pointed in the wrong directionā€¦ REAGARLESS OF THAT

Dirk, my room dimensions really didnā€™t change much in cubic feet,
regargless of that, since we last chatted, iā€™ve went thru 2 more sets of speakers, but tryied them on 7 different amps ranging from the high line marantz , the latestest pioneer, and several mid range home theater , and 70ā€™s amps as wellā€¦

heres my problemā€¦ with this particular HT system, on 2 channel onlyā€¦ ONKYO HT-R940

Some way, some how, even rated at 110 continous , will knock this speakers DONE within an hour
I have amp temps
Driver cone temps
Rear cabinet temps
Inline current, via clamp meter
simultanusuly measuring voltage
source of the song, i.e Alexa, via 3.5 mm to coax
Stream TV via fiber optic,

every which way to Sunday,
At firstā€¦ Iā€™d swear on my mothers graveā€¦ in a room like mine, at full volume, like i said b4 , like a concert hall,

now, 8th set, all the other amps sound like an ole AM radioā€¦
When they are hooked to the AMP that Klipsch guarenteed me I wouldnā€™t blow themā€¦ here we are now, hence me asking for help

PS audio,
Iā€™ve tried on 7 different / old school and new ā€¦
Again, my goal is only 2 channel stereo,
When I first bought these loud speakers from a guy that is now 80 years old, per his suggestionā€¦ (I call him the God Father of Audio)

This guy built his own amps, turntables, etc like no manufacture couldā€¦ When you walked in his house, if you had anytype of magnet on youā€¦ you could enter, his system in the 70ā€™s was built to the heiltā€¦
Now he has an ole school receiver with $15K spent on the ole school 801ā€™s B&Kā€™s

YES, AVR
but this ONKYO R-940, can light these RP600M;s like no receiver, of the 7 highest, to lowest ole school ā€¦ receivers i haveā€¦

Hence me being on my 8th setā€¦
Trust me, Iā€™m not trying to blow themā€¦ I measure every volt, amp , temp on everthing , on each and every combinationā€¦ im still baffled

Did you read the Paulā€™s post on voltage which I linked ?

Essential for you to readā€¦before further questionsā€¦

Best wishes

Yes, i did!