LANRover with Uptone Ultracap LPS 1

I knew there was some catch as to why so few people have reviewed this combo. I’m going to order that adapter now so I can use it when the LPS finally arrives.

I’ve just ordered my LANRover for my desktop setup with my Chord Mojo :slight_smile:

Luckily I have a couple iFi iPower 5V’s that come with an adapter that fits the LANRover.

I’m actually planning to use a cheap 5V x 2.4amp rechargeable battery to power the LANRover. I’ve been using it to power a modified HiFiBerry Digi+ PRO with Roon and I get around 20 hours of music playback with it, so it gets me through Monday to Friday quite easily. Just needs a USB-to-2.1mm cable which I got off eBay (plus the adapter I’ve now learnt). The LANRover uses even less power than my HiFiBerry so I’m expecting a week on a single charge easily. It charges to full overnight too.

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-5689_TL-PB20100.html

I have a short Blue Jeans Cable Cat6a (floating shield) that will go nicely with the LANRover.

Can’t wait for it to arrive next week ! My desktop setup is a Chord Mojo > Sennheiser HD800S headphones

PS: of course I’d love the LPS-1 but the LANRover blew a hole in the budget lol. The LPS-1 will come later when funds allow but in the meantime I think the battery will do nicely

I’ve got my LANRover (on home trial) on my desktop setup with an LPS-1 (picked one up 2nd hand luckily).

I tried to set it up for another listening room but it doesn’t play nicely with my sonicTransporter (Linux) computer. Might need to contact support.

Sounds really great on the office PC though with the HD800S ! :slight_smile:

IMG_20170331_1515319.jpg

Awesome!

I’ve had my LPS-1 powering up my LANRover for a couple weeks now. I also have been able to use a splitter and power the sending unit of a fiber optic converter going from my switch to my Mac Mini without issue from the recommendation of Alex at Uptone. I must say it is a great combination! It definitely helps the LANRover find another level of tonal separation and punch, to my ears. It’s not huge, but it’s there. A buddy of mine with better ears than mine says there’s clearly a difference. I wouldn’t go that far, but it’s a little better. The best analogy I can come up with is that playing Roon through USB is on par with a normal configuration with Bridge II. I just can’t hear a significant difference. My buddy with the super hearing says he can hear a slight difference between Bridge and USB (with the nod to Bridge), but I can’t. I think that’s a pretty good compliment. And that I can power another component with the splitter is icing on the cake.

You may notice that I said LR with LPS-1 is on par with a “normal configuration with Bridge”. That’s because I have just figured out how to do “bridge” (not that Bridge) the ethernet connection on my Mac allowing a direct connection from the Mac to the DS Sr and bypass the noisy switch. The benefits of this have been much discussed on ComputerAudiophile.com and I can honestly say I can finally see what the fuss is about. This is the best digital sound quality I’ve ever heard. I described how I did it on another thread in some detail. Suffice to say I now prefer the Bridge with direct “bridged” ethernet connection! Not that I’m giving up on LR at all. I’m still using it for connection between my NuWave Phono Converter and my Mac to rip vinyl and those files are amazing. I will tell you that I can listen to ripped vinyl, recorded in DSD using LR with LPS-1, and played back on the bridged ethernet direct connection and I get the entire vinyl sound without the hassles of changing records. This is what I have been searching for for over a year! Now maybe I can get back to more listening and less tweaking, which is a good thing. Cheers! beer_gif

Interesting amgradmd, Can you say what the contribution of just the fiber to switch is, I’ve considered doing this but never got around to it.

And thanks for the suggestion to use the LR with the NPC, I have removed mine from my microRendu/LPS-1 as I couldn’t hear a difference. Yes playing LPs w/o changing records is great but the up front ripping hassle has always discouraged me from doing it.

I’d say the fiber to the switch is barely discernable, if at all, honestly, if comparing against a good CAT7 ethernet cable (which I definitely believe in, BTW). I initially thought there was a bigger difference, but that might have been fueled by a touch of expectation bias and a not so small amount of borboun during listening! In the light of day I couldn’t pick it out in A:B blind testing. That being said, I had heard an occasional distortion in Roon playback that seems to have gone away, so maybe it is helping with occasional surges of EMI/RFI. Or maybe it’s because I’m digging around in the back of my rack so much, I’ve moved the offending cables away from one another!