Length of ethernet cable

Hi all, newbie here trying to get a system set up to maximize the sound. In order to get from my cable modem to my stereo system, I will have to run a long (40 feet) cable or run wireless. I can set up the router in the stereo room, but can’t move the modem. From what I have read, it seems that wireless might increase the jitter. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi

I would run the cable from your modem to the router.

If did dull to do then I prefer Plc Ethernet extenders to wireless that is not in line of sight.

I have both and no complaints.

Enjoy!

Welcome, dabman51.

Most would agree that shorter runs of ethernet cable are beneficial. I myself have 50ft between my router and PWD and haven’t tried anything shorter so I can’t comment from experience. I don’t see a problem with moving the router closer to the PWD (not too close!) since some also feel that it is the last segment of cat 5/6/7 that is the most important. Others have used a crossover cable between their computer and the PWD. This requires some knowledge to set up and would require having the computer nearby, if it isn’t already.

A small dedicated switch may help here. So, you will run a long cable to the switch and a short high-quality cable between the switch and the Bridge. Also, you can experiment with different power supplies for the switch, there are reports, that linear power supplies may increase the sound quality.

Gigabit switches are cheap nowadays. Look for the ones in a aluminium box.

Thanks for all the fast responses. I have a 50 ft. Cat6e cable that I could use for this. I was just afraid it might be too long. Thinking about this a little deeper, I can set up my windows laptop and the router all in the stereo room and just run the 50 ft. cable from the cable modem to the router. Would that setup be OK? The next thing is which device to use for the controller and which software to use.

dabman51 said: I can set up my windows laptop and the router all in the stereo room and just run the 50 ft. cable from the cable modem to the router.

This is what I have @home:

NAS -- 1m Cat5 => Switch -- 50ft Cat5 => ASUS WiFi router -- 2m Cat6 => Bridge

Just a thought if the ip is static or not the data will go through the switch from where all the is needed connected. As dhcp does not need to be involved. In my home and office I have no dhcp. All static so if the router or modem is off and only the switches is on. The control points being used are the only items in the path. I do networks but I do not know networking per say just the useful tricks. Maybe some here can way in.

Al

Why do you need the switch. I thought the router would handle the communication between the NAS and bridge.

dabman51 said: Why do you need the switch.

My Internet router does not have as many ports as I need ;)

That would certainly explain it. I have notice other people using the switch also and it was confusing me. My router has plenty of inputs, so that is no problem. Thanks for your help.

Yeah, right now 13 ports are actively used on my switch. DSL routers usually have 4, maximum 8 ports, and not necessarily gigabits.

The switch can be put right by the audio equipment you are using. CPU pwd bridge

Al

alrainbow said: The switch can be put right by the audio equipment you are using.

Yes, this is what I said:
Alekz said: A small dedicated switch may help here. So, you will run a long cable to the switch and a short high-quality cable between the switch and the Bridge.