LHY SW-6: Snake Oil or A Substantial Upgrade?

Network Acoustics guys (Rob) were very nice people to work with in my experience. They sent me filters and cables to be tested (without payment in advance). They didn’t ask me to decide in a week or so, as others, but they said “take your time” when I was waiting for a new cable (to be compared) for 2 months.
They offered me to be a beta tester for a future product, that will be launched early next year, without buying it, just asking me to send back my thoughts. Without any shipping cost. They were very responsive, emailing me several times and quickly even on Sunday.

I found their Muon Pro filter very useful. I wish other manufacturers could be like them.

Just to share my experience.

4 Likes

I’ve also had good experiences with Rob, even though my first interaction with him was for a diy question totally unrelated to the products he sells. The fact that his experience lined up with my own in that matter made me feel more comfortable to spring for the Muon usb, which has been a great addition to my digital setup.

I get that the brand doesn’t fit your idea of a good value proposition @stevensegal, but I’d recommend trying it before bashing it at every available opportunity.

3 Likes

aangen,

I would probably have a Tempus switch already if I hadn’t recently bought a PhoenixNet. With regard to buying music, my Qobuz subscription stays the same regardless of which switches I buy. These days, I don’t seem to be buying either vinyl or high-res downloads at all.

Why don’t you purchase a Tempus using the 30-day trial and then you can tell us what you think about it? With your MU1, though, upstream switches may not have as large an impact as they do for some of the rest of us.

1 Like

Why? because you don’t like the idea of a smps? Or is that an excuse, because you don’t like the lack of pedigree, the lack of transparency about what goes into the product, or the price?

You’re well entitled to have your preferences, but you use them to present your opinions and speculation as fact without having any real experience with the products/brands in question. Sometimes it’s fine to just accept that if you don’t know, you don’t know, and there’s no need to pass judgement either way. FWIW the Hypsos has switching elements, and I wouldn’t consider that a cost cutting measure. Antipodes also uses something similar.

I also have a decent abount of Supra products, the original usb and a few power cables. The usb is fine for the price, but isn’t any giant killer. The power cables were ok, but I prefer Neotech at similar pricing. I do think the carbon/nylon tape is interesting, and saved that from the cables for future experiments.

4 Likes

Here is a LHY SW2 maybe? Currently haven’t found any other sources besides Aliexpress. Great way for daisy chain the switches without adding too many redundant ports.

3 Likes

This looks intriguing. My order of LHY SW-6 arrived in US, then it disappeared for two weeks! If it got lost then I may order this instead.

that sucks, hope the carrier will sort it out for you. What I linked doesn’t have a clock input though.

1 Like

That is LHY FMC. It’s basically a one-port switch combined with Fiber Media Converter. Will be a perfect match to SW-6 or SW-10, but at $450+, you might as well get another SW-6.

3 Likes

I ordered SW-6 more than four weeks ago, and the tracking indicated it landed in US two weeks ago. Then there was no further update. Finally last night I got an email saying it is within the local delivery company. Hopefully I will get it a few days before the Christmas party.

My relatives will be thrilled to hear about my latest system improvement. :grin:

5 Likes

Let us know how it works out with your SW-10. I am particularly interested in the quality of optical isolation. I’ve tried various media converter in the past, but cheap optical boxes/adaptors killed the dynamics and flattened the sound. If your combo works well, I may order either another SW6 or the smaller FMC unit.

1 Like

next upgrade after SW6, MC for both the SW10 and 6 gogogo Donald :grin:

2 Likes

There is no end to this. I already found Lumin U2 does not have a clock input. :open_mouth: Should I trade it in for a streamer that has a clock input? :laughing:

Streamers are popping out like weeds! My Lumin U2 will be outdated in a few months. So is my next replacement. I will wait for a few years to let the market stablize a bit.

That wait will certainly be over shortly!
I’m especially curious on how you evaluate the SQ properties of the combined clocks of both switches.

1 Like

There’re quite a few posts in Beatechnik news about how LHY SW-10 and SW-6 improving their streaming setups. I am anxious to find out how both units with the synchronized clocks and fiber optic link will do to mine. I will say SW-10 alone has made Lumin U2 sound a lot better than before, and I will report if SW-6 addition makes any difference.

2 Likes

I wonder why the SW-6 only has 1 isolated port? That’s fine for my streamer but what about my AppleTV - relegated to a bog standard port? I’d rather have two isolated ports and nothing else.

One way to counter this is two SW-6s. Not ideal and expensive. But compares to other fancy tweaks often talked about here it is still within a certain reason.

I’ve found stacking(daisy chaining) high quality switches generally improve sound without considering if there is a isolated port or not.

4 Likes

It’s really purpose-built for audiophiles who would feed a single line into a network streamer. I’ve tried both isolated and regular port, and the difference is not huge. If you have more than one device plugging into SW-6, you can get the ethernet feed coming into the isolated and distribute the signal to multiple devices using normal ports. The effect should be pretty similar.

3 Likes

Has snake oil come down in price with the easing up of crude oil prices? Or do we still have to catch our own snakes?

Which snakes work best?

9 Likes

The blue ones

5 Likes

Last time I checked, the snake oil demand had gone up. Vers Crude.

2 Likes