Low Input Amps

I just installed my new P5 and noticed that my input amps reads just over 5.

Does the P5 correct for this?

My home circuit breakers are 15 amps–does the low amp reading at the P5 mean I have too many other devices drawing on this circuit?

Obviously I need to install a dedicated line, but short of that will this low amp reading negatively impact SQ?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Welcome!

The P5 does not display input amps. While there is a display for “wattage,” this indicates the watts being consumed by the connected equipment. It may display a small amount of watts being consumed if nothing is connected, I do not recall.

The display “THD IN” could easily read “5,” but this stands for the percentage of total harmonic distortion of the electricity coming into the Power Plant.

I hope this helps. Please post again if this does not make sense or if you have more questions.

And most importantly, how does your system sound with the P5 supplying the power?

Thanks, Elk.

Under the Status display there is a CURRENT box which indicates 5.71A–which I just assumed to be amps.

I have only listened an hour or so to my system with the P5, but what I noticed right off: more ease, better dynamics, cleaner/blacker background and a tonal richness especially in the mid bass range. Very impressed.

Steve

Could someone tell me what the Current number refers to if not amps?

Thanks.

It does display amps. It display watts too. Amps times volts = watts.

Thanks, Paul.

So is a reading of 5.71A unusually low for a 15amp household service?

And does the P5 correct this?

Steve

stephen dunn said Could someone tell me what the Current number refers to if not amps?
Steve:

The current number does refer to amps, but it is amps out, not in; that is, the number of amps the P5 is supplying to the connected equipment. 5.71 amps is 685 watts consumed by your equipment, (assuming 120V).

I am delighted you are hearing benefits. It is pretty magical. Do not forget to run clean wave periodically. I tend to forget.

Elk’s got it right. But the P5 doesn’t “correct” for amps - they aren’t a measure of something amiss. Amps are a measure of power being used - drawn by the equipment you have connected.

The P5 is delivering clean and pure power/amps where the wall socket delivers less than pure power.

I could be misreading stephen dunn’s message, but here’s my take. When you have a 15 or 20 amp circuit in your house the 15 or 20 amp rating is where the breaker (or fuse in older houses) will trip (or blow). it’s a safety feature to prevent excessive current from traveling through your wiring. Excessive current generates heat and starts fires, which is bad. When the P5 reads 5.71 amps that means it is well below the unsafe current level, 15 amps in this case. Electrical devices draw what is necessary to function, and no more. The P5 provides whatever power the equipment requires, no correction needed. So, does that answer the question?

I just noticed it’s 12:00 EST, Happy New Year!